USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Down will beat them out the gate on their march to the Ulster title.

Unfortunately they'll be overturned by Mayo in the quarter finals by a point.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

fan01

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 24, 2011, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2011, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on May 24, 2011, 03:30:13 PM
Well there you have it lads, Armagh are right back in it. With Oisin back onboard they're looking like favourites now. Although it can be slightly embarrasing for senior players selected as forwards to be re-trained or told what to do, it is Oisin we are talking about here.

???  He has been asked in to do some work with the forwards as a coach and to give some fresh ideas.  This is quite common with most teams and you use whatever resources that are available.  I think you'll find that I did say that I thought Down would win but that I am not as pesimisstic as I was before.  Maybe the Down bravado is not as strong as it was.  Maybe they are not as good as they would like to think they are??  Sure with Marty going back to Australia, why the fcuk would he really try?  Lets face it the sooner Down are out the sooner he is on the plane ;)

You Armagh boys sure have a hard on for our Marty. I never even mentioned the fella yet you could'nt wait to talk about him. If he goes back to Oz then fair enough he'll be a loss. Whilst we are on the subject of former AFL recriuts maybe clarke could bring Dyas back with him he might even get a game for the reserves this time or carry Martys bags for him.

Dyas got a bad injury while he was over in aus.  Am sure Marty would carry his own bags, but am sure he is big enough to do it himself.

PAULD123

James Lavery has been added to the Armagh injury list. This means Armagh are further weakened at midfield. Do Armagh supporters think Lavery would have started?? Even if he wouldn't then he would have been a front line substitute. So Mallon, Lavery, Swift & Clarke are all out, I heard  somewhere Duffy too. For us Ambrose is up to 40minutes and in fact if really needed could start this match. Rafferty is our only player out, and as has been noted by many people, fullback is now the area we have most choice in.

You have to be realistic if we lost something like Benny, Fitzpatrick, McGinn, Laverty & say McCardle we would be playing ourselves down and talking about Armagh having the edge. We have to accept that everything is going in our favour for this game and that we are the favourites. No point in trying to make a case for Armagh. Armagh are in a much weakened position and if they do beat us then it will be a very bad indictment for us.  If they do beat us, then they will beat a near full strength Down side with a three-quarter strength Armagh side.

Banana Man

i heard thomas niblock on bbc radio this morning saying that armagh are blaming slane for the poor ticket sales - i had to laugh at that

naka

mackers

Quote from: naka on May 25, 2011, 09:08:24 AM
Paul123 where did you hear Mallon was injured.
In the IN yesterday that BRIAN Mallon is a doubt with a hamstring injury.
If David McKenna doesn't get a run out with all these injuries he never will. I'll be disappointed if our midfield is anything other than Vernon and Toner. They were playing really well together at the start of the league until they were spilt up. I hear Vincey Martin has played a few challenge games in there but I wouldn't be convinced by that at all.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

RealSpiritof98

There has never been so much apathy towards an Armagh match ever!! Even when we had no chance, we travelled in our thousands in the hope of that breakthrough win, and believe it or not we always thought we could push on and win the All-Ireland, every year and this is pre 1998!!

Has the county board lost touch with reality? Is there just no money left in our patrons pockets to attend these games? Is it really the Champions league final or Slane?

I don't have the answer but I know previously I would have fought tooth and nail to get to this match, I have wedding to go to on Saturday just like the Wexford QF '08, i dodged the chapel that day in the hope of getting back to Armagh for the meal, but the monsoon put paid to that idea that day, but the thought hasn't even entered my head this time.  I know one thing My Armagh are on a big push to reduce the debt of the County set up, yet we pay 70k a year for a rugby coach to take the team, this is something that doesnt sit easy with me!!

All said, I still think the lads have not become Kilkenny over the winter and we will give Down all the want!!

naka

Quote from: mackers on May 25, 2011, 09:21:20 AM
In the IN yesterday that BRIAN Mallon is a doubt with a hamstring injury.
If David McKenna doesn't get a run out with all these injuries he never will. I'll be disappointed if our midfield is anything other than Vernon and Toner. They were playing really well together at the start of the league until they were spilt up. I hear Vincey Martin has played a few challenge games in there but I wouldn't be convinced by that at all.
HE WAS AT TRAINING LAST NITE

DuffleKing

Have we ever seen anything from McKenna to suggest he should be on the panel never mind the team?
I don't think we have realistic options, at this stage, beyond the toner-vernon pairing

naka

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 25, 2011, 10:04:03 AM
Have we ever seen anything from McKenna to suggest he should be on the panel never mind the team?
I don't think we have realistic options, at this stage, beyond the toner-vernon pairing
COUD SEE HIM AT HALF FORWARD
hearty
mallon,donaghy finn
dyas, mc keever,kernan
toner, vernon
mc kenna,billyjo,mallon
clarke,stevie,o rourke
if paul duffy fir mallon may play in centre with duffy playing on wing
training quite intense last nite, playrs really up for it, south armagh boys in particular giving it loads

good to see mc grane  helping out on the pitch barking instructions to the midfielders
can see us doing alright

Applesisapples

Well there you have it lads, Armagh are right back in it. With Oisin back onboard they're looking like favourites now. Although it can be slightly embarrasing for senior players selected as forwards to be re-trained or told what to do, it is Oisin we are talking about here.
If you knew any thing about sports you would recognise a change of voice as being a good thing.

PAULD123

No great insight here at all. I heard it on here. I expect that either Duffleking or Mackers said it (or I would have said yourself) as you guys seem to better informed than most posters. Now in truth, I should have said that Clarke, Swift and Lavery are out with Mallon & Duffy rumoured to be doubtful. Slight slip there, sorry I presented it like I knew something others didn't.

Anyway my point was that Armagh are much weakened, I'm sure you would agree that your bench is now very light in comparison to Down's. Armagh will have little more than the 15 that take the field to rely on. Based on that, if Down can't beat you then it will be a poor show for us. That's not being arrogant; as I said, if you couldn't beat us with a fully fit squad and us missing the likes of Benny, Fitzy, McGinn, Laverty & McCardle then you would be very disappointed.

ck

Is it true that tickets are not selling for this match? Surely not. This is easily the biggest 1st round tie in the country.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: ck on May 25, 2011, 11:33:54 AM
Is it true that tickets are not selling for this match? Surely not. This is easily the biggest 1st round tie in the country.

As of Mon night the number of tickets, stand and terrace, issued to Armagh clubs was 1595!
"Stercus accidit"

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 25, 2011, 10:17:43 AM
If you knew any thing about sports you would recognise a change of voice as being a good thing.

I did'nt realise he is taking singing lessons.

Sure I know 'things about sport', afterall we are all experts on here!