Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Sligopatriot on May 25, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
Is Tom Parsons injured?

Here, find yourself one of these and play with it for a few hours. Good lad.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Strong team - interesting to see how Caff gets on in the corner. That's 3 position's he's played in defence so far this year - Horan obviously thinks he's good enough for the team but can't find a position where he excels.
I think Vaughan could be a big success at CHB, but he's been out a long time - plus he'd need to learn to stay back and hold the defensive line a bit more.
Massive competition for the No 7 jersey, so fair play to Chris Barrett for getting the nod on this occasion. He'll have to work very hard to keep it.
I'm sure Aidan O'Shea won't be happy. But I'm not sure Kilcullen will more than 45 mins, so I'd say we might see him then if he's not already brought on in the HF line.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sligopatriot

Quote from: Tubberman on May 25, 2011, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: Sligopatriot on May 25, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
Is Tom Parsons injured?

Here, find yourself one of these and play with it for a few hours. Good lad.

Whats the problem?

RedandGreenSniper

Vaughan at chb is a risk and, as Abbeysider says, Cafferkey seems to have been run from that position, which I think is wrong myself. Also interesting to look at the forward line - only two out and out forward, Enda Varley and Cillian O'Connor. Aidan O'Shea and Trevor Mortimer also but neither appear to be in contention for forward spots at the moment. That lack of options is a concern.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

kevmy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 25, 2011, 01:30:06 PM
Vaughan at chb is a risk and, as Abbeysider says, Cafferkey seems to have been run from that position, which I think is wrong myself. Also interesting to look at the forward line - only two out and out forward, Enda Varley and Cillian O'Connor. Aidan O'Shea and Trevor Mortimer also but neither appear to be in contention for forward spots at the moment. That lack of options is a concern.

True about lack of options in the forwards - one of the reasons I was wondering about Ronaldson and Douglas

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 25, 2011, 01:30:06 PM

Quote from: Tubberman on May 25, 2011, 01:12:56 PM
I think Vaughan could be a big success at CHB, but he's been out a long time - plus he'd need to learn to stay back and hold the defensive line a bit more.

Id be more inclined to agree with R&GS regarding Vaughan, its a big call having him at CB and pushing Cafferkey to the corner. Maybe Howley's role could be to cover and mind the house if Vaughan gets forward and vice-versa. We will see how it plays out.

While you may say Horan thinks Caff is good enough for a position, it could also be Caffs last chance to prove himself in the corner. Certainly if Keith Higgins was a starter you would think that he would be in the corner and Caff would be on the bench or battling Cunniffe or Vaughan again for his place back. 

R&GS that bit about Cillian and Varley, are you discussing forward options on the bench?

Tatler Jack

Realistically will Mayo learn much from this game either in terms of filling individual positions or overall team tactics, etc. ?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 25, 2011, 02:01:31 PM

R&GS that bit about Cillian and Varley, are you discussing forward options on the bench?

Yes, with the qualification that while A O'Shea and T Mort have experience in the forward line, they don't seem to be vying for positions in that sector. O'Shea is challenging for midfield with Trevor being used at wing-back.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mannix

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 25, 2011, 02:07:11 PM
Realistically will Mayo learn much from this game either in terms of filling individual positions or overall team tactics, etc. ?

realistically they will learn nothing, london are not strong enough to test them or if they are they were hiding it very well during the league. fulfill the fixture and have a nice break away from mayo is as good as it can be.

Davitt Man

Interesting team...few interesting selections

2 half backs in the corner back positions (Cunnife & Ger Caff), i know Cuniffe played all the league in the corner and did quiet well but i still fear for him
Ger Caff shoved from 6 to 3 and now to 2?? Hes def not a corner man.

Howley playing 13, we dont need a sweeper against London!!

REDCOL

Does anyone think this team will actually start, This management consistently change the team on the Match day. I feel Geraghty, Mort & O Se and possibly Mc Loughlin will start. If they named Geraghty and Mort they would be slaughtered for bringing them in two weeks before the game, easier to slip them in on the morning. This is a nothing game bookmakers putting a 15point handicap on it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: REDCOL on May 25, 2011, 04:48:10 PM
Does anyone think this team will actually start, This management consistently change the team on the Match day. I feel Geraghty, Mort & O Se and possibly Mc Loughlin will start. If they named Geraghty and Mort they would be slaughtered for bringing them in two weeks before the game, easier to slip them in on the morning. This is a nothing game bookmakers putting a 15point handicap on it.

I wouldnt say the management give a flying fiddlers as regards causing an upset so that wouldnt be the reason they would change it on the day. The changes we have seen on match day were more down unknowns like injuries and players being fully as well as not giving too much away to the opposition. Championship is different so I dont expect a different team to start unless someone gets injured.

I think myself that we will see Geraghty, Trevor Mortimor, Eoin O Reilly and Keegan get game time as they may not have had as much of a chance or as many minutes as other players. Cillian O Connor might get a few minutes too as he has not featured much yet.

I would be interested in how many exactly is left in the camp (still 30+ I would think) and who will make the final cut for the Galway game.

One thing about the team, is that they are all playing for their places so it may look different come the Galway game as Horan plays players that are on form in matches and training.

rosnarun

Quote from: mannix on May 25, 2011, 03:39:18 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 25, 2011, 01:10:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 24, 2011, 11:11:32 PM

Anthony Hennigan in the 'Western' is speculating on a selection based on an a v b match at the weekend. It looked something like this. Hennelly, Cuniffe, Feeney, Geraghty, Feeney, Vaughan, Keegan, O Sé, Kilcullen, Campbell, Dillon, Moran, Doherty, Freeman, Howley. we ll see how close that is?

We know about the injuries to a few. If that is the team there is little surprising apart from the absense of Kevin McLoughlin. Mark Ronaldson and Cathal Freeman took part in this match also. Great to see the panel flexible like this, compared to the crap we had. It has to be anyway with the

rate of attrition with injuries.

hennigan is just anti ballina 
ronaldson back on the panel and howley starting all we need now is the other trevor to play  instead of doherty.. whose time might come ye

You must be joking about Doherty, drop him? For what, lack of scoring threat? It's not like we have another like him. 
dont confuse a player in the middle of a hot streak with an accomplished player. i know the same guys lauding him now will be screaming for his head as soome as the run ends. we saw it all be fore with AOM. he is very rough around the edges and a lot to learn . that there is potential there is no doubt . but i dont think he is ready to start a serious championship game.
one big worry is the level of complacency is shocking for a team the lost against sligo and longford last year and had a much worse league this year .
the biggest worry is horan  seems no closer to a starting 15 than he did early spring. has he evr put out the same team 2 games in a row. and of course  this latest desperate attempt to find a job for Ger
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere