Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 18, 2011, 05:52:49 PM
On the injury front at the weekend Seamie O'Shea picked up what appeared to be a pulled quad muscle. Richie Feeney didn't play for Mitchels either with a calf strain.

FFS, regarding SOS - thats what happens when you get back from one injury, as you trying to get fit you get injured again. Hopefully he can make it back before too long, same for Richie.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 19, 2011, 09:44:30 AM
On the injury front at the weekend Seamie O'Shea picked up what appeared to be a pulled quad muscle. Richie Feeney didn't play for Mitchels either with a calf strain.

FFS, regarding SOS - thats what happens when you get back from one injury, as you trying to get fit you get injured again. Hopefully he can make it back before too long, same for Richie.

A major problem for SOS and others with niggling injuries is that the ground is mighty hard at the moment. I'd hate to see him go the way of Barry and Aidan. Maybe the others who were dropped were carrying injuries also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 19, 2011, 10:28:27 AM

A major problem for SOS and others with niggling injuries is that the ground is mighty hard at the moment. I'd hate to see him go the way of Barry and Aidan. Maybe the others who were dropped were carrying injuries also.

Yeah Seamie has been cursed with injuries. He's had Gilmore's Groin surgery in each groin and has had persistent ankle problems too. 2010 was the first time in a long time that he had a clear run from injury in pre-season and the signs of it was in his excellent form in the league before JOM tried to make an 11 out of him. I hope the injury isn't too bad but have heard nothing definite on it yet. Richie's injury is mild by comparison.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 19, 2011, 02:30:23 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 19, 2011, 10:28:27 AM

Yeah Seamie has been cursed with injuries. He's had Gilmore's Groin surgery in each groin and has had persistent ankle problems too. 2010 was the first time in a long time that he had a clear run from injury in pre-season and the signs of it was in his excellent form in the league before JOM tried to make an 11 out of him. I hope the injury isn't too bad but have heard nothing definite on it yet. Richie's injury is mild by comparison.

I know it's the grandfather in me coming out but I am genuinely concerned for the welfare Seamus, Barry and the rest of the lads we are discussing.
Carrying persistent injuries can only lead to trouble ahead.
I don't want to bring up the pros and cons of play for play but I would like to see the best medical care being available for players.
It won't eliminate career-threatening injuries but it could help to cut them down.
Top players have too many matches to play and too many training sessions to attend for their own good. Inter country panellists probably have excellent training and medical facilities -in Mayo at any rate. But the same can't be assumed when they are also playing for underage sides or at college or with their home clubs.
It's the nature of the baste, where young athletes are in question, to disregard advice    and to attempt to go on until they drop.
I don't really what can be done but I know one thing; something must.

AbbeySider

Dillon confirmed as captain of Mayo, some comments on Trev

Dillon to captain Mayo

Alan Dillon has been named Mayo senior football captain for the championship season.

Captaincy duties rotated between Dillon and Andy Moran during the national football league, the latter being named as vice-captain for the summer competition.

Manager James Horan has also confirmed that last season's captain Trevor Mortimer is not completely out of his plans:

"It's not fair to say that Trevor is out of our plans at the moment. That story grew legs of its own.

"We've talked to him and he knows he's being assessed over these coming weeks, like a few other players."

irunthev

Little fact here. On the last two occasions that London and Mayo have played in the Championship, Mayo have gone on to play in the All Ireland Final......1996 and 2006

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

irunthev

Quote from: ross4life on April 20, 2011, 03:35:21 PM
Last two? did they not play them in 2001.

London excluded in 2001 because of foot and mouth crisis. Probably just as well given team and manager they had that year.

ross4life

Quote from: irunthev on April 20, 2011, 03:48:50 PM

London excluded in 2001 because of foot and mouth crisis. Probably just as well given team and manager they had that year.

Fair enough, they probably didn't play any league games that year either?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

irunthev

Quote from: ross4life on April 20, 2011, 04:11:58 PM
Quote from: irunthev on April 20, 2011, 03:48:50 PM

Fair enough, they probably didn't play any league games that year either?

Played pre Christmas Nat League games and were severely hammered in all and played one post Christmas game against Antrim and were crucified in it as well, then the  foot and mouth kicked in

Farrandeelin

Quote from: irunthev on April 20, 2011, 03:27:39 PM
Little fact here. On the last two occasions that London and Mayo have played in the Championship, Mayo have gone on to play in the All Ireland Final......1996 and 2006

Shhh!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Best of luck to Alan Dillon and Andy Moran as Mayo captain and vice captain, its a great honour for them.

I think its a role that will suit Dillon very much so. When he speaks in a dressing room people listen and when he was named as captain in games for Mayo this year he seemed to turn it on and play very well.

Andy too seems to talk a lot on the pitch and encourage players around him and also has the respect of everyone and is another natural leader.

westmayo

I'm happy to see Alan get the captain's armband for the year, he has been a great servant for Mayo down the years, which seems to have been forever for a man who is still not even 30. One of the few names that you would have always down on your first 15 for Mayo for a long time now. As for Andy, your right Abbeyside he never seems to stop talking and encouraging players around him which is a great attribute in a leader. Looking forward to the London game first trip like this I'll be making for a Mayo game overseas.

AbbeySider

Quote from: westmayo on April 21, 2011, 12:19:00 PM
I'm happy to see Alan get the captain's armband for the year, he has been a great servant for Mayo down the years, which seems to have been forever for a man who is still not even 30. One of the few names that you would have always down on your first 15 for Mayo for a long time now. As for Andy, your right Abbeyside he never seems to stop talking and encouraging players around him which is a great attribute in a leader. Looking forward to the London game first trip like this I'll be making for a Mayo game overseas.

Both guys seemed to have thrived on the leadership and responsibility so thats great to see and kind of exciting.

Sometimes the captains armband doesnt suit a player as the pressure of it gets to them in both cases I think they will excel.  :)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: westmayo on April 21, 2011, 12:19:00 PM

I think Horan has called it correctly in both instances. It has been very encouraging to note that both lads are back to their best; given the events of last season, I wouldn't blame either if they had decided that they could take no more.
However, they have continued on and both are showing admirable  willingness to take on responsibility and to lead by example. The younger lads will need their influence to keep shape in times to come.