Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2011, 11:30:54 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 15, 2011, 11:25:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2011, 11:24:01 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 15, 2011, 11:18:50 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2011, 11:05:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 15, 2011, 10:56:13 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2011, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 15, 2011, 10:22:01 PM
Grumpier in old age but have come to detest what St Patrick's Day stands for.

It used to be a religious event but is meant to be more cultural now. That means 13-year olds stocking up on drink to crack open around midday with the parent oblivious as they're leathered by 2. You can attend cultural events in Downpatrick or the like but it's slowly turning into a 12th of July in green.

Myself, I'm painting myself green and dancing from foot to foot to be sure around a crock of gold. Then I'll get wired into the poitin around 10pm and sing Will You Come To The Bower. Upara.
It's a bag of shite. Armagh spends a clean fortune on it every year and I'm at a loss as to why. I'm happy to be in work.

Suppose it just means more to real Irish people rather than ye British Irish up North....
What religious and cultural events will you be attending? Youse boys in the south have a notoriously poor work ethic so in the event of a united Ireland someone needs to work.

Good on ya dude keep her lit..

I'm off to do a 3 day retreat in the morning,no food drink or sex for 3 days.
Though when I say retreat I mean Dingle,as for the drink food and sex well I lied about two of those.
Is it food drink or drink food?

Does it matter..It's not sex anyways
Is that dolphin still in Dingle?

Don't be a sick bastard Fungi is male Dolphin isn't it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

It used to be a religious event but is meant to be more cultural now. That means 13-year olds stocking up on drink to crack open around midday with the parent oblivious as they're leathered by 2. You can attend cultural events in Downpatrick or the like but it's slowly turning into a 12th of July in green.

Myself, I'm painting myself green and dancing from foot to foot to be sure around a crock of gold. Then I'll get wired into the poitin around 10pm and sing Will You Come To The Bower. Upara.
It's a bag of shite. Armagh spends a clean fortune on it every year and I'm at a loss as to why. I'm happy to be in work.

Suppose it just means more to real Irish people rather than ye British Irish up North....
What religious and cultural events will you be attending? Youse boys in the south have a notoriously poor work ethic so in the event of a united Ireland someone needs to work.

Though when I say retreat I mean Dingle,as for the drink food and sex well I lied about two of those.

Seems it was a gay dolphin chased out of the Shannon Estuary by Queer bashing dolphins there. I am being quite serious. They did DNA tests and he is related to the Shannon dolphin family. The ones in the estuary have shown violent behaviour towards homosexual dolphins and others acting deviant to the pods norms. Seems the one in Dingle runs away from any female dolphins that have passed its way. Seems there has been research on this. Mad as it sounds.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on March 15, 2011, 11:34:06 PM

Don't be a sick b**tard Fungi is male Dolphin isn't it.
So you'd only have sex with a female dolphin? Each to their own.

Banana Man

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 15, 2011, 11:31:29 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 15, 2011, 10:57:13 PM

+1 on that tony. cant see why it has to be the 17th of march ffs its nearly always freezing it should be a summer holiday better for everything tourism etc

17'th March forever and a day, anyone from up North trys to change this and I will vote no to a United Ireland.

you'd vote no anyway  :D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on March 16, 2011, 09:08:43 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 15, 2011, 11:31:29 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 15, 2011, 10:57:13 PM

+1 on that tony. cant see why it has to be the 17th of march ffs its nearly always freezing it should be a summer holiday better for everything tourism etc

17'th March forever and a day, anyone from up North trys to change this and I will vote no to a United Ireland.

you'd vote no anyway  :D

Only if it was with us rejoining the United Kingdom  ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Poc me on March 15, 2011, 04:36:48 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 15, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
Quote from: Poc me on March 15, 2011, 01:46:04 PM
The Orange Orders rules highleights it as specifically sectarian. There would be no point in inclusion as you simply cannot become a member if you are a Catholic or are married to a Catholic. I'm sure they would be open to all other non-catholic ethnic minorities... ::)

The GAA is aiming for inclusivity. I would like to see it where the level of acceptance of Rugby within nationalist communities could be replicated in unionist communities for the GAA. It is great to see the use of the traditional 'Ulster' flag (with the de Burgh cross) in greater numbers as opposed to simpkly the 'northern Irish provincial' flag.
That is not the Northern Irish provincial flag but the Unofficial Flag of the old Northern Ireland Parliament before it was prorogued in 1972. It has no constitutional basis but has been adopted by Loyalists.

Did you not see the inverted commas???
Obviously not

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 15, 2011, 11:32:31 PM

Thats a laugh, sure ye all sponge off the British Civil Service.
As opposed to sponging of the IMF and German Civil Service? :D

The Iceman

I have always been a fan of celebrating St. Patrick's Day and have had some great days craic at home in Armagh and in Dublin with one day in the Quays bar being exceptional.
Now that I live in America I'm nearly embarrassed to be Irish around this time of the year. The month of March is "St. Patty's" month. Every town in NJ has their own parades and festivities at various times throughout the month. It's a real shit show in most towns with a lot of people out to prove their "Irishness" by getting piss drunk, fighting with their shadow and generally being obnoxious.
In Hoboken where I work there were 2 rapes, and over 50 arrests. Hoboken in the whole of 2010 had 3 sexual assaults and in one weekend there are two....

Is this just in America or what are people's experiences in other parts of the world? I know people associate alcohol with Ireland but are we really that bad?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2011, 07:40:47 PM
I have always been a fan of celebrating St. Patrick's Day and have had some great days craic at home in Armagh and in Dublin with one day in the Quays bar being exceptional.
Now that I live in America I'm nearly embarrassed to be Irish around this time of the year. The month of March is "St. Patty's" month. Every town in NJ has their own parades and festivities at various times throughout the month. It's a real shit show in most towns with a lot of people out to prove their "Irishness" by getting piss drunk, fighting with their shadow and generally being obnoxious.
In Hoboken where I work there were 2 rapes, and over 50 arrests. Hoboken in the whole of 2010 had 3 sexual assaults and in one weekend there are two....

Is this just in America or what are people's experiences in other parts of the world? I know people associate alcohol with Ireland but are we really that bad?

Those are stupid Yanks not Irish.

The Iceman

But where did they get their ideas from? Surely someone provided the example? And you'll find that a lot of the punters involved in the celebrations are "real" Irish.
Assholes at home in Ireland and celebrity assholes when they are in America......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Gs Man

My 7 year old has roped me into going to see Stacey Solomon and Lemar in  Belfast tomorrow.  Can't wait....will spend my time trying to avoid millbags, smicks, Celtic tops and chip-eaters. 
Keep 'er lit

armaghniac

QuoteI know people associate alcohol with Ireland but are we really that bad?

Yes. There are people reading this post that are planning to go out tomorrow and get rat-arsed drunk. Not have a few drinks, but drink until they puke and fall over. As a nation we need to wise up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on March 16, 2011, 09:17:45 PM
QuoteI know people associate alcohol with Ireland but are we really that bad?

Yes. There are people reading this post that are planning to go out tomorrow and get rat-arsed drunk. Not have a few drinks, but drink until they puke and fall over. As a nation we need to wise up.

I think the Irish outside of Ireland, the plastic-Paddies and the Brits, Yanks etc. who come out for the day are worse in general than the Irish in Ireland. Of course there are huge exceptions like the city centre in Dublin.

pintsofguinness

Over the years I've come to hate the day, an excuse to get pissed, it's embarrassing. 
I think someone mentioned Irish politicians celebrating the day in the US - that's embarrassing too. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

No doubt there will be loads of people getting pissed and puking all over the place. But sure they do that on new years eve and St Stephens day too. I look at it as a chance to head home to my own town and meet up with friends and have a session of beer, talk about football and have the craic. We won't be in any fights or the like. As for them "irish" americans. Maybe it is their unfloundering desire to have a culture and history that they want to cling to this hollywood idea of what being irish is. Where in Ireland are gays banned from a parade? f**king brainless plastic paddys with their green guinness, most of them are as irish as the queen.