St Patricks Day

Started by Radda bout yeee, March 15, 2011, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Busy day at work in Sydney, home now having put Junior down in the cot. Having a Guinness out of a can now on the couch, might have one or two more then off to me own cot.
I'd say it's carnage down in the Rocks by now as our best and brightest young exports puke everywhere.
Sunday morning we'll go in for the parade and wander round Hyde park for the annual Sydney St.Patricks festival with some friends. The only thing I miss about home on St.Patricks day is the ability to go to the club finals, but I'll record them and have a look tomorrow evening

Milltown Row2

Ok all sorted, sevens comp today at ten, then first drink at 2 for the finals, wish all 4 teams the best and have a good one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I never liked SPD. It is always cold and grey and at end of a long dull winter.
And Dublin is miserable in March. I think Raidio na Gaeltachta is a better festival of Irishness.

Tony Baloney

Bus full of young ones stopped outside Armagh for a piss stop at 10am! It's a long time since I had a drink at that time of the day.

balladmaker

Square Ball

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 16, 2011, 09:04:36 PM
My 7 year old has roped me into going to see Stacey Solomon and Lemar in  Belfast tomorrow.  Can't wait....will spend my time trying to avoid millbags, smicks, Celtic tops and chip-eaters.

you forgot the drunk kids draped in a Tricolor
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 17, 2011, 08:52:06 AM
No doubt there will be loads of people getting pissed and puking all over the place. But sure they do that on new years eve and St Stephens day too. I look at it as a chance to head home to my own town and meet up with friends and have a session of beer, talk about football and have the craic. We won't be in any fights or the like. As for them "irish" americans. Maybe it is their unfloundering desire to have a culture and history that they want to cling to this hollywood idea of what being irish is. Where in Ireland are gays banned from a parade? f**king brainless plastic paddys with their green guinness, most of them are as irish as the queen.

Family Guy helps explain the Irish

http://www.devilducky.com/media/27483/

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=family%20guy%20irish%20drunken%20dad&tnr=21&vid=471250699556&l=66&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D471250699556%26id%3D82ecbd248c71c686f63832a8e8eb714b%26bid%3DU30tVj6EcSvW%252fQ%26bn%3DThumb%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fvideo.msn.com%252fvideo.aspx%253fmkt%253den-us%2526vid%253dea049de3-3550-4c96-a983-74947632726b&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.msn.com%2Fvideo.aspx%3Fmkt%3Den-us%26amp%3Bvid%3Dea049de3-3550-4c96-a983-74947632726b&sigr=12m2keha0&newfp=1&tit=Drunken+Irish+Dad
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Eamonnca1

They had the parade in San Francisco on Saturday. They usually do it the weekend before.

I've taken less to do with it as the years have passed.  I feel like the drinks industry has taken it over, same as the confectionery industry at Easter, the greeting card/flower/restaurant industry on Valentine's day etc.  I'd rather go to some cultural event, and there's plenty of them if you know where to look.

Aerlik

Mini-me had his school swimming carnival yesterday (17th).  Three firsts, a second and a team third...Champion boy for his year.  Proud dad and mam.

Eire abu 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ardal

After the age of about 11, I can't remember a Saint Patricks day that wasn't based around alcohol. I followed suit in my late teens until I got back to my roots; GAA, Horslips and Davy Spillane, fortuantely this happened in my early 20s.

Been away for a long time now, but a few years back I helped organise the first ever Saint Patricks day festival in my adopted homeland; based around culture, Irish stew, kids, theatre, sports and music. We had about 400 people through the door. Great success and drinks had by all but only very late in the evening when the wee ones went to bed.

Some fellow nordies have now taken over, so it's been starting in a pub at 11am since; these lads are all family men, but believe the days about drink, the flag and drink.

Really grinds my teeth, but at least the gaa club is still alive and kicking without any other fecking paddy in it.

Sorry about the rant.

armaghniac

I was Dublin city centre today after the All-Ireland club game in Croke Pk. In O'Connell St was one unconscious individual on the footpath who was being attended to by two Guards. At O'Connell bridge two other Guards had tagged on to a drunk individual who had a little girl of about 4 in tow (complete with green face paint) and they stopped him wandering into the traffic. Now that is only two instances, but the latter in particular is a disgrace. Fair play there were a lot of GardaĆ­ about and they were keeping these people safe, but you shouldn't have to have half the police force trying to save people from self induced drunkenness.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

clarshack

there was a young cub absolutedy pissed outside turnstiles in athletic grounds around 1.00 pm. not sure who he supported....

armaghniac

Quote`there was a young cub absolutely pissed outside turnstiles in athletic grounds around 1.00 pm. not sure who he supported....

he was probably concentrating on trying to support himself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

the real slim shady

Jesus lads what the hell is all St Patrick's bashing about? I know you have plenty of fools falling about drunk but its not to often everyone in the world wants to be Irish, its once a year so lets lap it up and be proud to be IRISH!!

The Iceman

I don't think anyone is bashing St. Patrick's day, if anything I am saddened and embarrassed by what it has become.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight