Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: crossfire on July 26, 2011, 09:57:54 PM
Quote from: regal on July 26, 2011, 01:38:31 PM
I dont know Paddy O'Rourke but he gives me the impression he is an honest, decent gentleman. I feel sorry that it hasn't worked out for him or armagh during the last 2 years. I believe the coaching set up was forced on him and a new manager should at least be allowed to select his own management team. Unlike many of the candidates who were mentioned before and will be mentioned again the next time there is a vacancy, I would doubt Paddy made many financial stipulations on taking the job. There appears to be a lot of mystery over who is pulling the strings in armagh football and Paddy is proabably another victim of this. Hopefully Paddy will offer his resignation and Armagh can move on.

Armagh are no longer a top 8 team but they have a lot of good footballers. With the correct appointment the future could be bright. We need a manager who will instill discipline, determination, a gameplan and committment. I would think the vast majority af armagh supporters would love to see McGeeney take over but I dont think he would work in the environment that POR and PMcD have worked in. I hope I'm wrong. If not McGeeney, there would still be excellent options such as Grimley / McAlinden / McGrane / AO'Rourke / McEntee.

Anyway, possible line up for next years championship:

McKinney
Mallon Donaghy McKeown
McKenna McKeever Dyas
Toner Lavery
O'Rourke McDonnell McParland
Clarke RClarke Forker
I hope that you are not the next Armagh manager. ???

Have to agree with Crossfire! For me we should not be going back to McKinney - he quit so leave him alone. If we are to look at a new keeper look at some of the younger ones. There are a number of other players I think should be on but that is now a discussion for next year.

Also, is there anyway to change the title of this thread. Most people seem to agree that POR is an honourable man and no matter what we think of his management I have no doubt he is doing his best for Armagh.

Armaghgael

More realistic Champ team

1)Hearty(If not McEvoy from Sarfields)
2)Mallon
3)Donaghy
4)McKeown
5)Kernan
6)McKeever
7)Duffy
8)Hanratty
9)Toner
10)o`rourke
11)McDonnell
12)S.Kernan
13)Clarke
14)Clarke(If not fit Caolan Rafferty)
15)McParland
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

David McKeown

No Vernon and no defensive cover at all? I wouldn't be too happy with that team. Also dropping Mackin who has had a very good year.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armaghgael

Quote from: David McKeown on July 26, 2011, 11:44:26 PM
No Vernon and no defensive cover at all? I wouldn't be too happy with that team. Also dropping Mackin who has had a very good year.

Its still better than the one someone said above me
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

David McKeown

armaghniac

QuoteAlso, is there anyway to change the title of this thread.

tevez started the thread, he/she can change the title. I think he/she should.

As for prospective teams, what is the story with Nippy Swift? When the league started against Dublin he looked a good prospect, didn't quite shine as brightly later on and then got injured. Should be in contention though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: naka on July 26, 2011, 06:56:38 PM
Quote from: here comes 6 on July 26, 2011, 05:46:40 PM
When will it be made offical that POR is gone
there should be no decision  on any footballing or hurling  matters when Armagh are still in with a chance of bringing silverware to the county in both codes, football( minors) hurling ( the u21s)
He isn't going anywhere, he wants to stay and has done enough to keep his job, whether we like it or not.

David McKeown

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2011, 11:03:47 AM
there should be no decision  on any footballing or hurling  matters when Armagh are still in with a chance of bringing silverware to the county in both codes, football( minors) hurling ( the u21s)
He isn't going anywhere, he wants to stay and has done enough to keep his job, whether we like it or not.

Have to agree which just shows the lack of ambition within our county.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: David McKeown on July 27, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2011, 11:03:47 AM

Have to agree which just shows the lack of ambition within our county.
No one can question POR's brass neck!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 27, 2011, 11:34:36 PM
I don't think it has to do with having a brass neck but it has more a sign that the management team isn't up to the job when they can't see that they have not produced a return which is commensurate with the talent available.

Sorry TYP, but that is very much a matter of opinion.

It is not obvious to me that the return is not commensurate with the talent available.

borderfox

Its bloody July and Im wondering when the league fixtures are out for next year  :'( depressing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thewobbler

Once again, I'm fairly perplexed as to why anyone thinks the Kildare squad is limited.

It might sink in some day that they actually have a better team than Armagh, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even more bizarre is the comparison with Tyrone. The Red Hands are getting on a bit, but as a simple measure, none of Armagh's half forwards would even be considered for the Tyrone squad. Tyrone have a slight edge in class and a huge edge in depth.

Moortown Spuds

Put as simply as possible The Tyrone men have more in way of substance to themselves than the orchard pickers. Maybe get a Tyrone man in to manage next year? Ross Carr anyone? James McCartan in 12 months? All good honest GAA men who wont be looking their 30 pieces of silvers!

Throw ball

Quote from: thewobbler on July 28, 2011, 07:20:03 AM
Once again, I'm fairly perplexed as to why anyone thinks the Kildare squad is limited.

It might sink in some day that they actually have a better team than Armagh, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even more bizarre is the comparison with Tyrone. The Red Hands are getting on a bit, but as a simple measure, none of Armagh's half forwards would even be considered for the Tyrone squad. Tyrone have a slight edge in class and a huge edge in depth.

This is were I think Tyrone supporters are deluding themselves if they think that Tyrone would be as consistently challenging if Harte was not their manager. Without getting into the merits of players one simple matter shows the difference in the coaching and systems. On Saturday if Jamie Clarke got the ball and took it round Gormley Tyrone had someone as cover. On the otherhand if any Tyrone forward took it round his marker he was clear on goal with no cover. This has been consistent throughout the championship with nothing done. Sadly, this is only one of Armagh's problems! If as Rufus says Armagh do not have the players it would help if we could see the players there are improving, or if not, replaced and someone else tried.

BerfArmagh

Take your points, I am sure you fully believe what you say & to a certain extent I can see where you are coming from. Armagh certainly have talent within the squad.... I think at times tyrones system of play makes people sometimes forget how actually good a vast majority of their players are. I am no fan of Tyrone, but will be supporting them as an ulster side going forward, but I have to say the likes Mc Mahons x2, Jordan, Harte, Mc Guigan, Gormly, Cavanagh & Penrose would walk onto every other team on the island. Tyrone though not as strong as they were still have some serious ball players. I was really impressed with the fluidity of their movement going forward against us & pace. Now for Armagh, we seem to lack genuine pace ,clarke & o rourke aside (going forward). Our style of play is almost too traditional & we are thus exposed in the modern game. Armagh has the likes of Clarke, Vernon, Kernan, Mc Donnell & Mc Keever who I believe would start for tyrone if they were born across the blackwater. We have a lot of average players who when they come up against top opposition are cruelly exposed. Its time to really blood 4-5 U-21s/minors and start building, if we are ever to get back to the top table