Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderfox

In fairness to Down they fully deserved their place in the AIF last year. Beating Kerry and Kildare is no mean feat. Down really hit a rich vein of form when it mattered and got to the final on merit IMO. 
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bensars

The next Armagh manager will suffer a similar fate. The reality is that Armagh had their most successful period with a certain group of talented footballers. While new faces came in they were very gradual and failed to replace those currently there ( rightly so) and unfortunatley the leaders all left the stage at a similar time. The likelyhood of replacing with like for like  and experience is impossible. They are in a period of rebuilding and it cant be done overnight, nor maynot be achieved to a level that resembles what has gone on before.

Biggest difference i see is that the playing personel are not as good, dont have the same level of experience however the expectation levels have remained relatively unchanged.

It may be sometime before Armagh are challenging for senior national titles.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on July 28, 2011, 12:25:17 PM
I don't understand some Armagh posters' attitude to Kildare's quality. Grossly unfair. Don't want to sound patronising DH but I really hope ye boys win it and if you do it won't be solely down to Geezer, he has an excellent panel of players.
I agree Kildare have a good squad at the moment, certainly better than Armagh and McGeeney has them working, I hope they lift Sam. i also believe that there is better talent out there in Armagh, I see Tasker scored 1-5 in a club game.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 29, 2011, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: mackers on July 28, 2011, 12:25:17 PM
I don't understand some Armagh posters' attitude to Kildare's quality. Grossly unfair. Don't want to sound patronising DH but I really hope ye boys win it and if you do it won't be solely down to Geezer, he has an excellent panel of players.
I agree Kildare have a good squad at the moment, certainly better than Armagh and McGeeney has them working, I hope they lift Sam. i also believe that there is better talent out there in Armagh, I see Tasker scored 1-5 in a club game.
Don't think Tasker's name should be mentioned re Armagh senior team, from what I gather his attitude leaves a lot to be desired for Cullyhanna never mind intercounty. Just read over on Orchardcounty there that Ryan Rafferty of Granemore has scored 13-6 so far this year, he may well be worth a look at.

I think with the amount of AI winners in the Armagh panel that we are punching below our weight under the current management. Need someone who the players will run through brick walls for. We may not win Sam again but to be challenging at provincial and QF level is imo a realistic ambition.

ck

I'm not from Armagh but I honestly believe Armagh have some of the best players in Ulster and potentially the best panel. Despite that they have been in the doldrums for 2 years now. This is severe under achievement in any mans language. Paddy is a true gael, a pure gent, a former player... but has been shown to be a below average manager at the top level. If the Armagh county board give him another year (and I think they will) it will be a poor and cowardly decision and certainly not in the best interest of the Armagh senior team.

David McKeown

Does today's result change either a) the chances of Geezer replacing POR in the near future or b) the number of posters who would like to see that change? 

13 months ago we beat Donegal off the pitch, shows you the difference a good manager can make.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

lawnseed

the manager makes no difference arguement has been destroyed by jim mcguinness and donegal. o'rourke has to go and thats the main point. between himself and peter mc donnell the last few years have been wasted by two men that simply were not up to the job. also the coach sweet jeez we pass the ball backward more now than forward. too much deadwood on the CB no one in our club wants to attend the meetings because they are pure crap.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Goats Do Shave

Someone asked for the county board:

Here's our elected members:

President - John O'Reilly
Chairman - Paul Duggan
Vice Chair - Eddie Hughes
Secretary - Patrick Og Nugent
Assistant Sec - Micky McGivern
Treasurer - Peader Murray
Assistant T - Gerard O'Boyle
Development Officer - Brian Smyth
Youth Officer - Tom Morgan
Irish Officer - Peter Murphy
PRO - Joe Jordan
Ulster Council Delegate - Eddie Hughes
Central Council Delegate - Jarlath Burns
Games & Coaching - Martin Kelly
Primary School - Paul Hart
Referees Admin - Dessie McDonnell
Players injury scheme - Micky McGivern

CCC Chairman - Paul McArdle
CCC Secretary - Seamus McDonagh

I'm not going to list the minor board or each club delegate. If you need to know ask someone on your own committee for a look at this year's fixture & information booklet.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: lawnseed on July 31, 2011, 04:32:13 PM
the manager makes no difference arguement has been destroyed by jim mcguinness and donegal. o'rourke has to go and thats the main point. between himself and peter mc donnell the last few years have been wasted by two men that simply were not up to the job. also the coach sweet jeez we pass the ball backward more now than forward. too much deadwood on the CB no one in our club wants to attend the meetings because they are pure crap.

I would accept that what Jim McGuinness has done this year has made me revisit my stance on this debate. However I'm still not won over. Jim McGuinness has done wonders to date, but I think he has also had that priceless gift that everyone in football needs - luck. I've no problem saying fortune favours the brave, but on many another day they'd have been beat out the gate by Tyrone and would have faced a tricky trip to Longford. They got the run of the decisions against Derry and Kildare (and that does not mean they were undeserving of their victories).

Similarly this time last year, Wee James was being touted as the best young manager in Ireland, as Down rode their luck and came within a whisker of an All Ireland - what would Wee James' stock be now in such a debate?

McGuinness has done wonders at Donegal, and they are enjoying that wee bit of luck they mightn't have had in the past. But that still does not conclusively prove that we should change, particularly if our options are limited by other considerations!   ;)

armaghniac

Donegal might have been beaten by Tyrone and the disallowed goal certainly saved their bacon against Kildare. But even having won Division 2 and being competitive with Tyrone was a massive improvement from their performances against Armagh last year.

Compare Roscommon now with when we played them in League in Cross' in 2008, for another example. Have we developed since that game?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

fitzroyalty

Football is 80% in the head.

Forget style of play or tactics, Armagh have not been playing like a team with any sort of confidence or belief, bar the Down game. And even then I reckon that much of that was down to sheer hatred.

POR out!

bennydorano

Jim McGuinness is irrelevant to any argument, POR is clearly not the man for the job.  There's no chance of McGeeney coming, there's a better chance of Grimley coming in now with the new Chairman. However I reckon that''s wishful thinking anyway as I reckon POR will be back unfortunately.

lawnseed

Quote from: bennydorano on August 01, 2011, 09:45:23 PM
Jim McGuinness is irrelevant to any argument, POR is clearly not the man for the job.  There's no chance of McGeeney coming, there's a better chance of Grimley coming in now with the new Chairman. However I reckon that''s wishful thinking anyway as I reckon POR will be back unfortunately.

whats the vibe from the players anyone got any info. they cannot be happy
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rufus T Firefly

POR is clearly not the man for the job.

And I personally don't think he is either - what I'm arguing is that many of those being touted for the job are going to be unavailable for one reason or another, and given what we currently have I am not so sure a new manager would achieve an awful lot more anyway.

bennydorano

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 01, 2011, 10:56:19 PM
JThere's no chance of McGeeney coming, there's a better chance of Grimley coming in now with the new Chairman. However I reckon that''s wishful thinking anyway as I reckon POR will be back unfortunately.

Who is the new chairman?
Paul Duggan