Paddy O'Rourke Out!

Started by tevez, February 28, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tevez

Armagh will never achieve anything with him in charge so why waste another year before getting rid of him. Every year that goes by Stevy Ciaran McKeever etc are a year older. The county board need to act now, and someone has to ask the question how he was ever appointment, because his record was brutal!

thewobbler

I'd like everyone who agrees with sacking him to first pinpoint what they would regard as a successful 2011 campaign for Armagh.

Maguire01

I think Armagh people need a reality check. Armagh had an exceptional period over the last decase, but they need to set their sights a bit lower for the next few years.

tevez

Why wud we set our sights lower most of the members of our squad have wonall ireland senior medals all ireland under 21 medals ulster 21 and all ireland minor medals. We shud be challenging for ulster title and gettin to at least all ireland semi.

Maguire01

Quote from: tevez on February 28, 2011, 10:45:11 PM
Why wud we set our sights lower most of the members of our squad have wonall ireland senior medals all ireland under 21 medals ulster 21 and all ireland minor medals. We shud be challenging for ulster title and gettin to at least all ireland semi.
Underage success guarantees nothing.

whitegoodman

Id like to no who they would get to replace him

Firstly mcgeeney doesn't want it as he knows they aren't good enough to win anything and his reputation as a playing legend will be tarnished.  Don't forget he also was bt by wiclow in the championship. We sacked a manager for such a thing. He also has struggled to take kildare out of division 2

Justin mcnulty was there last year, did he not have a say or wha. a couple of decent results in division 2 doesn't make him a genius.

Brian mcalindin couldnt win it for yas when yas had a good team, what chance now.

thewobbler

I think you'll find that the only players in the squad who've won an AI are McDonnell and Clarke.

Having a large group of players with minor and u21 medals only puts you on a par (or worse) with Tyrone, Derry, Down, Cork, Kerry, Mayo, Galway and Dublin. That's a lot of teams who 'should be at least in the semis'.

tevez

Players are def there if we had the right man at the helm. Everyone in the county know who he is everyone of the players want him and yet were stuck with a boy whos been a total failure as a manager!

whitegoodman

But most importantly he doesnt want you

thewobbler

Quote from: tevez on February 28, 2011, 10:52:18 PM
Players are def there if we had the right man at the helm. Everyone in the county know who he is everyone of the players want him and yet were stuck with a boy whos been a total failure as a manager!
the players are definitely there to do what Tevez? Be serious now.

Orangemac

While I agree that POR was not a great choice originally and nothing in the past 15 months or so has changed my mind ( particularly the sense of drift during games) this is not the Premiership and POR should at least be given this year to see if any sense of headway is being made.

Who would replace him at this time of year?

We have 5/6 top quality players, a few more decent players ( who could improve) and possibly 3/4 places up for grabs.

There is no great strengh in depth unfortunately.

A decent season would be an AI QF or Ulster final appearance with some good dsiplays along the way and avoiding relegation.

We are still in the top 10 teams in the country even though we are in transition.

pintsofguinness

I don't know what eejit would take the job until the level of expectation among fans (some) is lowered to a realistic level.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

David McKeown

Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2011, 10:38:13 PM
I'd like everyone who agrees with sacking him to first pinpoint what they would regard as a successful 2011 campaign for Armagh.

Im not exactly calling for his head but I feel with POR in charge we wont have an overly great 2011 and 2012 will likely be poor as well as one of two scenarios will happen then either POR is still in charge and still not good enough or a new manager will have been appointed and will need time to develop the team his way.  Thats why I feel at this stage if it were possible to get the right man into the job now that would be preferable to waiting till the end of the year. However its unlikely we could do that as all those managers of the necessary calibre are by and large involved with other teams.

For me POR has showed over the last 15 months that he is simply not good enough for IC management.  Armagh have not got a bad group of players certainly not in the top 4 of the country but still not a bad group with plenty of potential to develop. That said with the exception of maybe 2 games in the last 15 months Armagh as a team have seemed completely lacking in a game plan and have been tactically exposed on countless occasions and for that POR has to take the rap.  So whilst I woudnt call for his head just now simply because of a lack of alternatives I do feel POR is a lame duck manager and that is of no use whatsoever to Armagh.   

Also the idea that McGeeney didnt take the job because he didnt think Armagh were good enough shows an ignorance of the situation or else great mind reading abilities.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Maguire01

Quote from: David McKeown on March 01, 2011, 08:18:35 AM
Also the idea that McGeeney didnt take the job because he didnt think Armagh were good enough shows an ignorance of the situation or else great mind reading abilities.
McGeeney is building up a good reputation as a manager with Kildare. At this stage in his management career, why would he risk jeopardising that by taking on Armagh?

David McKeown

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 01, 2011, 08:29:16 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 01, 2011, 08:18:35 AM
McGeeney is building up a good reputation as a manager with Kildare. At this stage in his management career, why would he risk jeopardising that by taking on Armagh?

I wasnt talking about the present I was responding to comments on other threads that he didnt take the Armagh job because he didnt think he was good enough.  I have no idea whether or not he'd want the job at the current time
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner