Connacht U21 Football Championship 2011

Started by ross4life, February 24, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

So a little over two weeks away from the start of the Connacht under 21 Championship! we got the short straw in Mayo away & i would fancy Mayo to win the title this year.

Preliminary Round Saturday 12th March Mayo v Roscommon
Semi-Finals Saturday 19th March Mayo/Roscommon v Leitrim
Semi-Finals Saturday 19th March Sligo v Galway
Final Saturday 2nd April

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo are working off the back of three strong years at minor for this Under 21 team. Three Connacht titles from 2008-10, two All-Ireland final appearances and one All-Ireland semi final. But then we had a lot of these lads last year together with a decent crop from 2007 minors and we came badly unstuck against the Rossies on St Patrick's Day.

Mayo's biggest problem will be in the forward division. In defence there's a plethora of options. Eoghan Reilly, Kevin Keane, Shane McHale and Shane Nally from 2008, Michael Walsh, Keith Rogers, David Gavin, Caolan Crowe from 2009 and from the year just gone you have Brendan Harrison, Niall Freeman and Ryan Quirke possibily in contention. Try to pick six backs from that lot. Robbie Hennelly will start in goal, Eoghan Reilly, Shane McHale and Shane Nally will all start somewhere in defence I'd say but a lot of battling for positions.

At midfield Mitchels pair Danny Kirby and Ger McDonagh could be the starting pair. James Cafferty doesn't appear to have recovered from his chronic hamstring injuries and the only other option at midfield might be to move Aidan O'Shea there.

Possibly not as many options in attack as in defence but the nucleas of a good team is there. Cathal Freeman and Cillian O'Connor are serious players for this level, Darren Coen should be able to kick on too and Aidan O'Shea is a huge asset to this level. After that Fergal Durkin, Aidan Walsh, Andrew Farrell and Micheal Forde have plenty to offer. Actually, that's a stronger forward line than I thought.

Best xv?

Hennelly
Gavin Keane M Walsh
McHale Reilly Nally
Kirby O'Shea
Farrell Forde Freeman
O'Connor Walsh Coen

Very much a guess though.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Where will the Mayo v Roscommon game be? Will it be in McHale Park?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 24, 2011, 03:24:55 PM

Nowhere else. Best place to have it. Pitch is in great nick and we'll need a 38,000 seater stadium for the huge crowd.

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 24, 2011, 03:28:20 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 24, 2011, 03:24:55 PM

Nowhere else. Best place to have it. Pitch is in great nick and we'll need a 38,000 seater stadium for the huge crowd.

Clarke doesn't think the pitch is in great nick & wasn't the last Mayo v Roscommon u21 game played in Charlestown?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

I was being sarcastic, pitch in bad nick right now. Last game in 2009 - with our memorable comeback! - was in Charlestown because McHale Park was being redone. But I'd be amazed if they made yer journey shorter.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 24, 2011, 03:20:36 PM
Mayo are working off the back of three strong years at minor for this Under 21 team. Three Connacht titles from 2008-10, two All-Ireland final appearances and one All-Ireland semi final. But then we had a lot of these lads last year together with a decent crop from 2007 minors and we came badly unstuck against the Rossies on St Patrick's Day.

Mayo's biggest problem will be in the forward division. In defence there's a plethora of options. Eoghan Reilly, Kevin Keane, Shane McHale and Shane Nally from 2008, Michael Walsh, Keith Rogers, David Gavin, Caolan Crowe from 2009 and from the year just gone you have Brendan Harrison, Niall Freeman and Ryan Quirke possibily in contention. Try to pick six backs from that lot. Robbie Hennelly will start in goal, Eoghan Reilly, Shane McHale and Shane Nally will all start somewhere in defence I'd say but a lot of battling for positions.

At midfield Mitchels pair Danny Kirby and Ger McDonagh could be the starting pair. James Cafferty doesn't appear to have recovered from his chronic hamstring injuries and the only other option at midfield might be to move Aidan O'Shea there.

Possibly not as many options in attack as in defence but the nucleas of a good team is there. Cathal Freeman and Cillian O'Connor are serious players for this level, Darren Coen should be able to kick on too and Aidan O'Shea is a huge asset to this level. After that Fergal Durkin, Aidan Walsh, Andrew Farrell and Micheal Forde have plenty to offer. Actually, that's a stronger forward line than I thought.

Best xv?

Hennelly
Gavin Keane M Walsh
McHale Reilly Nally
Kirby O'Shea
Farrell Forde Freeman
O'Connor Walsh Coen

No Danny Geraghty?

ross4life

Yes i expect it to be played in McHale Park under lights & apart from the one hammering there has been little between the two sides the last 4/5 years.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 24, 2011, 03:58:00 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 24, 2011, 03:20:36 PM

Best xv?

Hennelly
Gavin Keane M Walsh
McHale Reilly Nally
Kirby O'Shea
Farrell Forde Freeman
O'Connor Walsh Coen

No Danny Geraghty?

I actually forgot about Danny. I was working of the starting minor teams from memory and not sure he started? But he has developed. An option at midfield but don't know that he will start. Centre-half back? Pace?

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: AbbeySider on Today at 03:58:00 PM

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on Today at 03:20:36 PM

Best xv?

Hennelly
        Gavin Keane M Walsh
        McHale Reilly Nally
        Kirby O'Shea
        Farrell Forde Freeman
        O'Connor Walsh Coen

No Danny Geraghty?

I actually forgot about Danny. I was working of the starting minor teams from memory and not sure he started? But he has developed. An option at midfield but don't know that he will start. Centre-half back? Pace?

I'm pretty sure he started a couple of games in Connacht - the replay against Ros in the hyde comes to mind.
But yeah, he has definitely improved. I thought he was excellent for Ballintubber senior team last year alongside Jason Gibbons. Outshone many older more experienced opponents.
I hope he's given a fair chance anyway, think he could surprise a lot of people who wouldn't know much about him.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on February 24, 2011, 03:58:40 PM
Yes i expect it to be played in McHale Park under lights

They'll move it to bloody Crossmolina if not Belmullet or Ballinrobe. >:(

Our U21s didnt set the world alight in the Hastings na dlooking back at the miinors or 2008 there were many shortcomings.
I have low expectations I'm afraid. :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Has been confirmed 12th March Mayo v Roscommon 230pm McHale park

We will be missing a number of St. Brigids players now.

Farrandeelin

But the Rossies u-21 have McHale Park all to themselves this Saturday to check it out. >:(

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 03, 2011, 06:34:02 PM
But the Rossies u-21 have McHale Park all to themselves this Saturday to check it out. >:(

Eh?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on March 03, 2011, 07:43:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 03, 2011, 06:34:02 PM

Eh?

Roscommon U-21s were allowed to train on McHale Park yesterday so the Mayo U-21s had to move elsewhere.