Connacht U21 Football Championship 2011

Started by ross4life, February 24, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Well maybe they were checking out the quality of the sand?

I read today our Captain from last year Neill Collins picked up a bad injury & will be out of the Mayo Game if my memory serves me right he got the award for best Connacht under 21 player last year.

Major blow to an already diffcult task.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Mayo team and subs for match v Rossies this Saturday (from www.mayogaa.com:

That's an incredibly strong team  :o
I know that might be putting the curse on them, but they really should have high ambitions this year with the players available.
Kirby lining out at 6 is a surprise (to me anyway).
Delighted to see Danny Geraghty starting in midfield - was excellent for Ballintubber there last year.
Some big names (relatively) on the bench, which goes to show the competition for places.

1) Robert Hennelly Breaffy
2) Shane McHale Knockmore
3) Kevin Keane Westport
4) Keith Rodgers Ballaghaderreen
5) Caolan Crowe Garrymore
6) Danny Kirby Castlebar Mitchels
7) Eoghan O' Reilly Castlebar Mitchels
8) Shane Nally Garrymore
9) Danny Geraghty Ballintubber
10) Michael Forde Ballycastle
11) Cathal Freeman Aghamore
12) Andrew Farrell Killala
13) Colin Dempsey Swinford
14) Aidan O'Shea (Cap) Breaffy
15) Cillian O'Connor Ballintubber

16) Conor Campbell Swinford
17) Tom Staunton Tourmakeady
18) John Broderick Claremorris
19) James Cafferty Crossmolina
20) Ciaran Charlton Kiltimagh
21) Fergal Durkan Castlebar Mitchels
22) Darren Coen Hollymount
23) Aidan Walsh Castlebar Mitchels
24) Lewis Cawley Westport
25) David Dolan Garrymore
26) Ger McDonagh Castlebar Mitchels
27) Joe Keane Crossmolina
28) Michael Walsh Ardnaree
29) Cormac Doohan Ballaghaderreen
30) Jack McDonnell Swinford
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

StoneWall

Quote from: Tubberman on March 10, 2011, 01:49:40 PM
Delighted to see Danny Geraghty starting in midfield - was excellent for Ballintubber there last year.

Is Ray Geraghty not U-21 this year. As far as I can remember he was on the minor team in 2008? He seems to have gone off the scene altogether, injured, emigrated?

Not too sure about Shane Nally midfield, didn't work out at all last year.

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on March 10, 2011, 02:23:11 PM

Is Ray Geraghty not U-21 this year. As far as I can remember he was on the minor team in 2008? He seems to have gone off the scene altogether, injured, emigrated?

Not too sure about Shane Nally midfield, didn't work out at all last year.

Ray Geraghty is still involved with the U21s but he had a slight hamstring pull a couple of weeks ago so I dont think he was ready for this game.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo team and subs for match v Rossies this Saturday (from www.mayogaa.com:

That's an incredibly strong team  :o
I know that might be putting the curse on them, but they really should have high ambitions this year with the players available.
Kirby lining out at 6 is a surprise (to me anyway).
Some big names (relatively) on the bench, which goes to show the competition for places.

1) Robert Hennelly Breaffy
2) Shane McHale Knockmore
3) Kevin Keane Westport
4) Keith Rodgers Ballaghaderreen
5) Caolan Crowe Garrymore
6) Danny Kirby Castlebar Mitchels
7) Eoghan O' Reilly Castlebar Mitchels
8) Shane Nally Garrymore
9) Danny Geraghty Ballintubber
10) Michael Forde Ballycastle
11) Cathal Freeman Aghamore
12) Andrew Farrell Killala
13) Colin Dempsey Swinford
14) Aidan O'Shea (Cap) Breaffy
15) Cillian O'Connor Ballintubber

16) Conor Campbell Swinford
17) Tom Staunton Tourmakeady
18) John Broderick Claremorris
19) James Cafferty Crossmolina
20) Ciaran Charlton Kiltimagh
21) Fergal Durkan Castlebar Mitchels
22) Darren Coen Hollymount
23) Aidan Walsh Castlebar Mitchels
24) Lewis Cawley Westport
25) David Dolan Garrymore
26) Ger McDonagh Castlebar Mitchels
27) Joe Keane Crossmolina
28) Michael Walsh Ardnaree
29) Cormac Doohan Ballaghaderreen
30) Jack McDonnell Swinford

I like the look of that team myself, although there will probably be a couple of changes. I wouldn't get too excited though, the Under 21 grade is very hard to be ready for. You really are starting from a standing start. We beat Leitrim (barely) last year before losing to Roscommon the following week in the infamous game in the Hyde. That team had, as well as the players still underage, Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Neil Douglas, Kevin McLoughlin - four players who have looked very good at senior level. Yet we still lost. And we won the bloody thing with a very underrated team.
The one fear I would have for this team is scores. Only Cillian O'Connor is proven in this regard and its reassuring to hear Neil Collins is out because it would be a fine battle between him and Cillian. Colin Dempsey comes in from left field and looking forward to seeing how he does. He must be doing well to be starting ahead of Darren Coen who, for me, looked like a definite starter. Kirby at centre-half back is the real eye-catching call, the one which this team could live or die by. A strong, physical presence but relatively new to that position. Really looking forward to Sunday. Lets hope as many people that go to the Armagh game will tog on Saturday too, these lads need our full support.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

seafoid

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 24, 2011, 03:20:36 PM
Mayo are working off the back of three strong years at minor for this Under 21 team. Three Connacht titles from 2008-10, two All-Ireland final appearances and one All-Ireland semi final.

Why do Mayo lose so many all-Ireland finals? 

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on March 10, 2011, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 24, 2011, 03:20:36 PM
Mayo are working off the back of three strong years at minor for this Under 21 team. Three Connacht titles from 2008-10, two All-Ireland final appearances and one All-Ireland semi final.

Why do Mayo lose so many all-Ireland finals?

Usually because they came up against a better team.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

Strong looking Mayo team alright but i do believe you had a better forward line last year though a better defense this year. Cillian O'Connor will be the main scorer while i expect O'Shea to play in Midfield.

Alot of rain forecasted for the next few days will McHale be playable?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Our camp is very quiet which I hope is a good sign.
Or is it that we're scared sh1tless to say anything.
The U 21 is played at a daft time of the year and what with lads playing 3rd level or on County Senior teams they can't have a lot of time together to geld as a team.
Makes it very unpredictablr.. look at Leinster with Dublin/Meath and Kildare all gone before the semis.
Anyway I'll stick the neck out and predict a four point win for Mayowestros as they look very strong indeed.
However lads remember MING  and Bridgets... it could be our year so don't rule out the pleasant surprise in the heart of rhubarbland Saturday evening. 8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2011, 06:00:16 PM
Our camp is very quiet which I hope is a good sign.
Or is it that we're scared sh1tless to say anything.
The U 21 is played at a daft time of the year and what with lads playing 3rd level or on County Senior teams they can't have a lot of time together to geld as a team.
Makes it very unpredictablr.. look at Leinster with Dublin/Meath and Kildare all gone before the semis.
Anyway I'll stick the neck out and predict a four point win for Mayowestros as they look very strong indeed.
However lads remember MING  and Bridgets... it could be our year so don't rule out the pleasant surprise in the heart of rhubarbland Saturday evening. 8)

In fact I think this game will be a very tight one. Ros football is on a high now and they are coming to Castlebar as reigning Connacht champions at this grade - despite the strength of the Mayo team on paper, it will be a very tough clash I expect and if it's wet, well God knows anything is possible.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cosmo Kramer

Mid West not covering the game today, so I'll have to endure Willie on Shannonside for a change, I'd nearly forgotton what a lunatic he is!
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

maigheo

ros ahead 0.3 to 0.2 with 18 min gone.Willie still as mad as ever.kevin keane gone off injured with aiden walsh coming on.

Cosmo Kramer

6 points to 2 to Ros.

Kevin Keane gone off injured Willie (gleefully) tells us, Shane McHale to full back, Aidan Walsh on in the forwards, Farrell gone back into the defence.

Which seems like a needless number of changes - could they not just have put on Broderick?

Sounds like we're getting cleaned at midfield, I don't think Nally should be playing there.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

maigheo

mayo seem in major trouble down by 4 points with 24 min gone

Peter Solan the Great

About to get a hammering from Roscommon.