Personalised Number Plates

Started by wanderer, January 26, 2011, 06:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

Has anyone ever bought a plate from the DVLA directly? Are they priced competitively?

Have never owned one, and am debating whether there is even any point in them. But was thinking with the current economy, there must be some going for below value?  ??? Is buying from somewhere like autotrader the way to go

Big Puff

Can you buy one and hold it til you have a car? or does it have to be registered to an actual vehicle?

what is the cost of the actual re-reg of the new plates?

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: wanderer on January 26, 2011, 06:54:29 PM

Has anyone ever bought a plate from the DVLA directly? Are they priced competitively?

Have never owned one, and am debating whether there is even any point in them. But was thinking with the current economy, there must be some going for below value?  ??? Is buying from somewhere like autotrader the way to go

I bought one and the DVLA were 15 % cheaper than any of the dealers. It may be more competitive at the lower end of the market, but if you are going for anything 4 figs and above go straight to the source IMHO.

RE Big Puff, you can buy it and keep it on certificate, but you need to renew the cert every 12 months.

J70

Why would someone want a personalized number plate in the first place?

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2011, 07:13:12 PM
Exactly. Every time I see one, i think: c**k.

Big Puff

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 26, 2011, 07:14:45 PM

Same thing i think every time i see ur name  :)

Maguire01

Puckoon

Ive got one. It says WEEPUCK. Bought it for no real reason other than a bit of craic, as I got my first ever car around the same time my daughter was born - and we figured it'd be something to make her smile when she was a kid, embarrass her when she is a teenager, and something she might want to keep as a momento when she is older. That said, the license plates over here are a bit nicer to look at than the ones at home.

She's three now - and she looks at the license plate now when she is walking to the car and if you ask her what it says she says "That says Eva-Therese loves frank". Frank being the girlfriends dog.

Hard to see much harm in some of them.

pintsofguinness

This^
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AZOffaly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 26, 2011, 08:00:52 PM
This^

Is 'This ^' the new '+1' ?

Hardy

Looks that way. Also, I think it's the new "what he said".

(Going forward)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2011, 07:51:55 PM

Ive got one. It says WEEPUCK. Bought it for no real reason other than a bit of craic, as I got my first ever car around the same time my daughter was born - and we figured it'd be something to make her smile when she was a kid, embarrass her when she is a teenager, and something she might want to keep as a momento when she is older. That said, the license plates over here are a bit nicer to look at than the ones at home.

She's three now - and she looks at the license plate now when she is walking to the car and if you ask her what it says she says "That says Eva-Therese loves frank". Frank being the girlfriends dog.

Hard to see much harm in some of them

+1 ^ what he said..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

There is quite a wait for some of them. Up at the university here there is an Irish professor who has ARMAGH, and ULSTER on two of his license plates. Another professor had to wait until a fella in vegas bit the dust and the license plate BELFAST went back on the market again. If I recall correctly he was actually on the waiting list from the nevada DMV for that plate if it ever became available.

Personally, some of the lengths some people go to to phonetcially spell out an entire stupid sentence in 7 characters is quite daft LVPDRDS etc.. - but why would anyone think it any different from a guy who keeps his car spotless, likes fancy wheel rims, or big spoilers?

Maguire01

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 26, 2011, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2011, 07:51:55 PM

Hard to see much harm in some of them

+1 ^ what he said..
Nobody's saying there's harm in any of them.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2011, 08:10:46 PM
There is quite a wait for some of them. Up at the university here there is an Irish professor who has ARMAGH, and ULSTER on two of his license plates. Another professor had to wait until a fella in vegas bit the dust and the license plate BELFAST went back on the market again. If I recall correctly he was actually on the waiting list from the nevada DMV for that plate if it ever became available.

Now he is a c**k
You'll Never Walk Alone.