RIP Michaela McAreavey

Started by MR99, January 10, 2011, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleLord

Hard to believe alright. Just watched that video again there now. Really hits me. 

Captain Obvious

I see the hotel in Mauritius changed it's name.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

I know its not nice dredging it all up again, but have they actually charged someone with the murder or whats the situation? Seemed fairly amateurish carry on from what I remember of the last reports i saw.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

donegal_abu

cant believe it has been a year already. still brings  atear to my eye when I see her face or read anything about her. Thoughts are with John and her entire family at this hard time. Its a terrible few weeks for them. first xmas and new year wihtout her, wedding anniversary, her birthday and now the anniversary. I really feel for them and hope they're coping. i know this sounds stupid but I nearly feel like I knew her even though I've never met her. just from seeing her on tv with Mickey you feel like you know her and through the GAA community. RIP Michaela

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 10, 2012, 06:13:47 PM
I know its not nice dredging it all up again, but have they actually charged someone with the murder or whats the situation? Seemed fairly amateurish carry on from what I remember of the last reports i saw.

From today's Irish Times:

Two face trial over Harte murder

STEWART MACLEAN

Two men accused of killing Michaela Harte in Mauritius will go on trial  in May, a court was told today.

Avinash Treebhowon (29) and Sandip Mooneea (41) were formally charged with her murder at the country's Supreme Court this morning. The hearing will start on May 22nd and is scheduled to last two weeks.

Prosecutor Mehdi Choony said the hotel workers were not asked to enter a plea this morning, at the request of their lawyers, but confirmed they would be ordered to do so when next in court.

"The two suspects were in court this morning and had the murder charges read to them," he said.

The court heard both men intended to plead not guilty.

The court hearing comes a year after they were arrested following the death of Ms Harte (27), from Ballygawley Co Tyrone, on January 10th, 2011, at the luxury Legends resort.

The teacher was found strangled in her hotel room on the island where she was on honeymoon with Co Down GAA player John McAreavey. It is not clear if he will be called to give evidence.

Detectives claimed Mr Treebhowon had confessed that the two men strangled the former Rose of Tralee contestant by accident after she found them stealing from her purse. He has since claimed the confession was made under torture.

He and Mr Mooneea, a cleaning supervisor at the hotel, have since denied any involvement in the killing.

Three other hotel workers were arrested in connection with the killing. Room cleaner Raj Theekoy (31) is one of the key witnesses for the prosecution.

Security guards Seenarain Mungoo (39) and Dassen Narainen (26) also appeared in court, charged with conspiracy to commit murder, following claims they helped Ms Harte's killers by supplying a magnetic key card which gave access to guests' rooms.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Orior

QuoteIn recent times, along with my family, I have experienced great sadness and tragedy," he said.

"Having consulted with colleagues and friends, I have now decided to undertake this period of personal renewal

I see that Bishop McAreavy is to take a break, and some of the press are citing Michaela's murder as the reason, though if that is the case then I dont understand it.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Leo

God rest the poor girl, even if the press seem determined not to.
Fierce tame altogether

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on November 13, 2012, 10:07:31 PM
QuoteIn recent times, along with my family, I have experienced great sadness and tragedy," he said.

"Having consulted with colleagues and friends, I have now decided to undertake this period of personal renewal

I see that Bishop McAreavy is to take a break, and some of the press are citing Michaela's murder as the reason, though if that is the case then I dont understand it.
He also lost his mother earlier this year, that and an onerous job in the Catholic Church would take anyone down. John McAreavey has proven to be one of the better Bishops over the last few scandal hit years. good luck to him.

balladmaker

Good luck to Bishop McAreavey ... given what both families have been through, never mind the pressures of his own job, and as mentioned above, the death of his mother, anyone in the same position would need time out.

Also, what happened in Mauritius, both the murder and the serious lack of justice, would test the strongest of faiths.  As is always said at times of grief, God moves in mysterious ways, and that's an understatement.

Sandy Hill

An over-reaction I feel. Many people, myself included, suffered major tragedies in life but, for our own sakes and the sake of the rest of the family, got on with our lives and the pressures of our work.
"Stercus accidit"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sandy Hill on November 14, 2012, 08:27:59 PM
An over-reaction I feel. Many people, myself included, suffered major tragedies in life but, for our own sakes and the sake of the rest of the family, got on with our lives and the pressures of our work.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who have suffered tragedies but if someone said to you, get over it, you'd be pretty pissed off.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

That is along the lines that I was thinking. And being a priest he has witnessed the worst of the troubles, burying lots of closed caskets along the way. So I was wondering why one murder or the death of a parent would suddenly tip the balance.

But of course everyone is different, and I'm not in anyway condemning or judging.

trileacman

Quote from: Orior on November 14, 2012, 08:52:27 PM

That is along the lines that I was thinking. And being a priest he has witnessed the worst of the troubles, burying lots of closed caskets along the way. So I was wondering why one murder or the death of a parent would suddenly tip the balance.

But of course everyone is different, and I'm not in anyway condemning or judging.

I don't understand your mentality at all. He's an elderly man who has suffered through two difficult events. Why is it such a surprise he would take a break from the responsibilities of being a bishop?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Orior

Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2012, 09:26:58 AM

I don't understand your mentality at all. He's an elderly man who has suffered through two difficult events. Why is it such a surprise he would take a break from the responsibilities of being a bishop?

Its a surprise because I have never heard of such a thing happening before.

trileacman

Quote from: Orior on November 15, 2012, 11:02:15 AM
Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2012, 09:26:58 AM

Its a surprise because I have never heard of such a thing happening before.

You've never heard of someone who lost two relatives in quick succession, one in tragic circumstances, take a break from their job?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014