Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Orior on December 16, 2010, 11:32:58 AM
To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

We're working on that, though in reverse, something like (misplaced) restitution by a thousand-and-a-half bandages...

Craic --> from crack, ye olde English folk worde, for example  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 06:55:39 PMEven Evil Genuis seems to use less Britishisms than many so called Irish nationalists I meet, tbh lots of these types up in Dublin too.
Do you mean by that that my posts are composed in the language/terminology/vernacular which I was brought up to use, rather than, say, something which a poster from England, or Scotland or Wales might come up with?

If so, why should that be any surprise? For as I seemingly can never repeat enough, I am Irish - something which would be immediately obvious if you were to hear me speak.

Of course, if you want to be more specific, I am actually Northern Irish, which means that I am also British, both by birth and by (continuing) choice, but that does not detract from my essential Irishness, it is merely recognition that I come from one of the four nations which make up the United Kingdom.  Therefore, whilst I can have absolutely nothing against any of my fellow Britons (obviously), nonetheless I resent any attempt to suggest that by asserting my Britishness when appropriate, that is in some way making me "more English" (or Scottish or - God Forbid - Welsh).

In other words, the UK is a Union, not a Merger or an Amalgamation.

Oh and as for those Irish Nationalists or Dublin types you meet who frequently do employ what you term "Britishisms" in preference to their native idiom, then I can only assume that they are what my old history teacher would have called "amadauns". I occasionally meet their equivalent in England, too, where they are known as "prats" - the world is full of them.

P.S. The Wren Boys may appear to be a quaint old custom and I remember my mother telling me it was common enough in parts of the country in her childhood, but she didn't altogether approve, since it actually involved hunting and killing the poor defenceless and inoffensive "crettur" itself.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

armaghniac

QuoteI am actually Northern Irish, which means that I am also British

you should look at the snow thread, there are also some geographically challenged posters there!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

leaveherinsir

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM
Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day? Cannot understand this, have met quite a few recently who didn't even know what I was talking about when I said Stephens Day.

Is it more common up in the 6 to call it Boxing Day rather than Stephens Day?
YES! End of thread then?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ONeill

We speak, and are writing, in English so we may as well embrace their holidays too, and TV programmes, and soccer teams, and supermarkets.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2010, 10:54:18 PM
QuoteI am actually Northern Irish, which means that I am also British

you should look at the snow thread, there are also some geographically challenged posters there!
Eh?  ???

P.S. I might have mentioned earlier that growing up in NI, I always knew it as Boxing Day, though coming from a mixed area, I would occasionally hear "themmuns" refer to it as St. Stephen's Day. I don't know how I managed to withstand the trauma, offence and confusion...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Zapatista

:D
Just talking to the woman about this today. Was listening to the wireless and ad for Leopardstown came on. Big race on stephens's day ??? The Saint has been dropped day and as someone else pointed out they can't say it properly. Rather than call it St. Stephen's Day it's called Stephens's day. I had her practicing saying St. Stephen's Day which she did well when she tried but eventually reverted back to Stephens's Day

Evil Genius

Quote from: Zapatista on December 16, 2010, 11:24:43 PM
:D
Just talking to the woman about this today. Was listening to the wireless and ad for Leopardstown came on. Big race on stephens's day ??? The Saint has been dropped day and as someone else pointed out they can't say it properly. Rather than call it St. Stephen's Day it's called Stephens's day. I had her practicing saying St. Stephen's Day which she did well when she tried but eventually reverted back to Stephens's Day
Leopardstown?

Don't you mean Kempton Park?  ;)

http://www.kinggeorgechase.com/
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 16, 2010, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 06:55:39 PMEven Evil Genuis seems to use less Britishisms than many so called Irish nationalists I meet, tbh lots of these types up in Dublin too.
Do you mean by that that my posts are composed in the language/terminology/vernacular which I was brought up to use, rather than, say, something which a poster from England, or Scotland or Wales might come up with?

If so, why should that be any surprise? For as I seemingly can never repeat enough, I am Irish - something which would be immediately obvious if you were to hear me speak.

Of course, if you want to be more specific, I am actually Northern Irish, which means that I am also British, both by birth and by (continuing) choice, but that does not detract from my essential Irishness, it is merely recognition that I come from one of the four nations which make up the United Kingdom.  Therefore, whilst I can have absolutely nothing against any of my fellow Britons (obviously), nonetheless I resent any attempt to suggest that by asserting my Britishness when appropriate, that is in some way making me "more English" (or Scottish or - God Forbid - Welsh).

In other words, the UK is a Union, not a Merger or an Amalgamation.

Oh and as for those Irish Nationalists or Dublin types you meet who frequently do employ what you term "Britishisms" in preference to their native idiom, then I can only assume that they are what my old history teacher would have called "amadauns". I occasionally meet their equivalent in England, too, where they are known as "prats" - the world is full of them.

P.S. The Wren Boys may appear to be a quaint old custom and I remember my mother telling me it was common enough in parts of the country in her childhood, but she didn't altogether approve, since it actually involved hunting and killing the poor defenceless and inoffensive "crettur" itself.

Good post EG.

I get of work next Thursday and I can tell Ye I won't have a clue what day it us between then and the 4th Jan when I go back.  Once the order goes out of the week I am lost.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 16, 2010, 11:08:31 PMP.S. I might have mentioned earlier that growing up in NI, I always knew it as Boxing Day, though coming from a mixed area, I would occasionally hear "themmuns" refer to it as St. Stephen's Day. I don't know how I managed to withstand the trauma, offence and confusion...
I almost never heard anyone refer to the day as Stephen's Day until I arrived in Dublin.  Now, I call it whichever term I think the other party/(ies) in the conversation will understand.  It is yet another major difference between north and south, but I think with work, this is one that can be overcome.

Zapatista

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 16, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
Leopardstown?

No, if I was I wouldn't have needed to be so specific.

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 16, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
It is yet another major difference between north and south, but I think with work, this is one that can be overcome.

No way. It's one of the few things I have left >:(

BennyHarp

Why do Southern Irish Nationalists call St Patricks Day, Paddys Day!
That was never a square ball!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Zapatista on December 16, 2010, 11:41:08 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 16, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
Leopardstown?

No, if I was I wouldn't have needed to be so specific.

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 16, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
It is yet another major difference between north and south, but I think with work, this is one that can be overcome.

No way. It's one of the few things I have left >:(
Obviously I meant that I refer to the day in question in the opposite way to that which I know the other party/(ies) in the conversation will understand, it's better craic and often leads to an argument like the last 7 pages.