Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

There you go - thats the nail on the head I think. Many Western country traditions and values are being eroded by the machine that is the "western world". Smarter phones, bigger cars, bigger houses, stock market gambling, victorias secret etc... Eventually human nature wants the best of everything - even at the expense of things that will be destroyed but not noticed before its too late.

The Iceman

Curious to know what you think is being destroyed Puck as I myself notice a lot too and I think its more because I live away from home and things get magnified more so than if I was at home (if that makes sense?).
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 16, 2010, 05:42:44 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 05:40:12 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 16, 2010, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 16, 2010, 11:32:58 AM
To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

+1

I think Orior and Nally Stand are on the same wavelength as me on this one. One of my housemates if an Irish Nationalist from Northern Ireland and he is Southern traitors this, Southern traitors that yet its all Boxing Day, the Premiership, Glasgow Celtic, Southern Ireland & Northern Ireland, Irish is a waste of time, the Sun Newspaper all the way with this lad and all I can think is  ::) He is a sound lad but he is all RA songs down the pub but he really seems to rather the British way of life.

And what does the Irish way of life consist of?

Since you haven't answered I'll ask you....If I live in the North, don't use the term Southern traitors, don't support any team in the Premiership or Celtic, don't think Irish is a waste of time, don't read the Sun, use the phrase St. Stephen's Day rather than Boxing Day, am I then living an Irish way of life rather than a British one?

How does one live this Irish way of life?

armaghniac

Quoteam I then living an Irish way of life rather than a British one?

calling your mother Mummy rather than Mammy would rule you out, despite these efforts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2010, 06:22:13 PM
Quoteam I then living an Irish way of life rather than a British one?

calling your mother Mummy rather than Mammy would rule you out, despite these efforts.

Perhaps owning a donkey cancels that one out though.

armaghniac

QuotePerhaps owning a donkey cancels that one out though

Only if you use it to haul turf you've cut yourself.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 16, 2010, 06:18:25 PM
Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 16, 2010, 05:42:44 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 05:40:12 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 16, 2010, 12:23:03 PM

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

+1

I think Orior and Nally Stand are on the same wavelength as me on this one. One of my housemates if an Irish Nationalist from Northern Ireland and he is Southern traitors this, Southern traitors that yet its all Boxing Day, the Premiership, Glasgow Celtic, Southern Ireland & Northern Ireland, Irish is a waste of time, the Sun Newspaper all the way with this lad and all I can think is  ::) He is a sound lad but he is all RA songs down the pub but he really seems to rather the British way of life.

And what does the Irish way of life consist of?

Since you haven't answered I'll ask you....If I live in the North, don't use the term Southern traitors, don't support any team in the Premiership or Celtic, don't think Irish is a waste of time, don't read the Sun, use the phrase St. Stephen's Day rather than Boxing Day, am I then living an Irish way of life rather than a British one?

How does one live this Irish way of life?

No, fair cop, you have a point. I should have said a more Irish norm. Of course there are Chineese listening to rap, Americans pretending to be from Tibet, Zimbabweans  pretending to be from Southside L.A. etc. there is no real way of life for any place. Maybe I should have said the Irish way of life norm. Huge variations from person to person however.

Just sometimes fail to understand the anti-26 county attitude as if we are traitors yet the people who claim being to be left out of the Irish nation refuse to try and keep any of their traditions and are happy to become Glasgow Celtic-Xfactor-SunNewspaper puppets/muppets. GAA folk tend to be an exception. Even Evil Genuis seems to use less Britishisms than many so called Irish nationalists I meet, tbh lots of these types up in Dublin too.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

anglocelt39

No, fair cop, you have a point. I should have said a more Irish norm. Of course there are Chineese listening to rap, Americans pretending to be from Tibet, Zimbabweans  pretending to be from Southside L.A. etc. there is no real way of life for any place. Maybe I should have said the Irish way of life norm. Huge variations from person to person however.

Just sometimes fail to understand the anti-26 county attitude as if we are traitors yet the people who claim being to be left out of the Irish nation refuse to try and keep any of their traditions and are happy to become Glasgow Celtic-Xfactor-SunNewspaper puppets/muppets. GAA folk tend to be an exception. Even Evil Genuis seems to use less Britishisms than many so called Irish nationalists I meet, tbh lots of these types up in Dublin too

Clear case of use of the keyboard while on autopilot here I see. In fairness though you have managed to get five pages out of a particularly banal/meaningless question
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Worker

I call it boxing day because theres always a fight in the local every year on the day after christmas.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: ziggysego on December 16, 2010, 11:19:20 AM
The Greencastle Boxing Day Run is on St. Stephen's Day. Anyone going?
Entered that yesterday, might need skis tho! Is it on Boxing Day then?  ;)

DirtyDozen12

I have not read any of this thread but who really gives a shite what its called at the end of the day  :-\
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Evil Genius

Good Man! Along with painting the Letter Boxes green and setting your SatNav to Oirish, that'll make those bloody English think again!

In fact, I'd say it could be just the final push needed to achieve Re-Unification by 2016.  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

I'll hazard a guess that when the 26 county election comes around, there will be posts on here from individuals stating that anyone who votes for FG is a "west-Brit" when those same individuals are profoundly anglicised.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on December 16, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
I have not read any of this thread but who really gives a shite what its called at the end of the day  :-\

Here here! But the person who started the thread was apparantly talking to people who actually didn't even understand what he was talking about when he mentioned St Stephens day! Being very sceptical by nature, i find this hard to believe. If he was talking to people from the north who he so patronisingly describes as a Northern Irish Nationalist, I'd suggest those people were either taking the piss out of the simpleton, or he is lying and never actually spoke to anyone and has started this thread to get a reaction!
That was never a square ball!!