Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day?

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

I really hope that doesnt happen at home. It is just stupid. We are having our "holiday" party today.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 03:52:46 PM
I really hope that doesnt happen at home. It is just stupid. We are having our "holiday" party today.

Is avoidance of the word Christmas that widespread Puck?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Iceman

I don't like but completely understand why Christmas is referred to as the "Holidays" over here in America.
America is a melting pot of races, creeds and religions. Unfortunately there is a Jewish dominance (at least in NY and the Tri-State area) and to be politically correct everything is Happy Holidays. I send Christmas cards to my clients and very few if any have been offended, I get the odd word from management but for the most part they leave me alone.

What gets to me over here is that Christians are allowed Christmas Trees as office decorations (not religious in any shape or form) while Jewish people are allowed Stars of David, Menorahs, Honika (sp) bushes (all religious)...... Vent over.... ha

Ireland will definitely head the same route as the religious part of Christmas takes a back seat amoung people and it just becomes another Hallmark Holiday......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rossfan

Never ceases to amaze me how much Jewish influence there is in the U S.
No wonder Israel can do what it likes. >:( >:( >:(

Anyway it's up to us here in Ireland to make sure that 1,500 years of (lip servces to ) Christianity isnt thrown out in a fit of " multi cultural " political correctness.
One thing we need to keep alive is that wonderful tradition of Bonfire night on 23rd June ... now sadly only maintained in a few parts of the Country.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

red hander

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 12:13:56 AM
Why do Northern Irish Nationalists call St.Stephens or Stephens Day, Boxing Day? Cannot understand this, have met quite a few recently who didn't even know what I was talking about when I said Stephens Day.

Is it more common up in the 6 to call it Boxing Day rather than Stephens Day?

WTF's a 'Northern Irish Nationalist'?  As a nationalist from the north of Ireland, I'd really like to know.

bennydorano

A Northern Irish Nationalist is surely a disaffected unionist who'd support a UDI (unilateral dec of Independence) for NI? 

Puckoon

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 16, 2010, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 03:52:46 PM

Is avoidance of the word Christmas that widespread Puck?

In all things that are official, or could lead to unrest - Yes. For example, there are no mentions of Christmas in coroprate correspondence - except to say the office is closed 1/2 day, day before Christmas, and Christmas day. All sanctioned "Christmas" get togethers are grouped under the term "Holiday". Holiday party, Holiday lunch, Holiday white elephant gift exchange. There are plenty of times that Christmas can be used - and of course you can say it as much as you want - I don't know that I'd get in trouble for wishing someone a happy Christmas.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 16, 2010, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 16, 2010, 11:32:58 AM
To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

+1

I think Orior and Nally Stand are on the same wavelength as me on this one. One of my housemates is an Irish Nationalist from Northern Ireland and he is Southern traitors this, Southern traitors that yet its all Boxing Day, the Premiership, Glasgow Celtic, Southern Ireland & Northern Ireland, Irish is a waste of time, the Sun Newspaper all the way with this lad and all I can think is  ::) He is a sound lad but he is all RA songs down the pub but he really seems to rather the British way of life.

Also to the ones on about St. Stephens Day and me being an Atheist, I also have Stephens Day in the subject title. I have no problem with words from tradition.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Puckoon

red hander

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 05:00:52 PM
A Northern Irish Nationalist is surely a disaffected unionist who'd support a UDI (unilateral dec of Independence) for NI?

That's what I was thinking ... dunno how the intellectual heavyweight who started this thread didn't realise that

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 16, 2010, 05:40:12 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 16, 2010, 12:23:03 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 16, 2010, 11:32:58 AM
To those who say its all irrelevant....

The St Stephen's Day/Boxing Day thing is a small example of how the "Irishness" of northern nationalists has been eroded away. On its own, its a tiny matter, but its death by a thousand cuts. I thank the Irish News for their persistance with the name.

The english want northern nationalists to fall in line with OWC claiming that the six counties will be a better happier place. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll continute to use St Stephen's Day.

+1

I think Orior and Nally Stand are on the same wavelength as me on this one. One of my housemates if an Irish Nationalist from Northern Ireland and he is Southern traitors this, Southern traitors that yet its all Boxing Day, the Premiership, Glasgow Celtic, Southern Ireland & Northern Ireland, Irish is a waste of time, the Sun Newspaper all the way with this lad and all I can think is  ::) He is a sound lad but he is all RA songs down the pub but he really seems to rather the British way of life.

And what does the Irish way of life consist of?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 05:41:24 PM
So your housemate is a toolwagon. That hardly requires a thread!

Maybe, but outside of a GAA setting I have come across more Irish Nationalists from the North with this view than not. Even in the GAA world I have come across alot of Sun Newspaper, Boxing Day, "Southern Ireland", referring to Northern Ireland as Britain not the U.K., Glasgow Celtic attitude.

Puckoon

I'm sorry for your troubles. I don't doubt you have met plenty of toolwagons - but you are fond of a spot of typecasting it would seem.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this stereotype is not found in "both" Irelands however. Calling December 26th Boxing day - by no stretch of the wildest imagination should be grounds for being lumped in with Sun reading, Glasgow Celtic supporting, Pub 'Ra song singing idiots.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: haveaharp on December 16, 2010, 08:30:23 AM
Why would an anti northern ROI unionist be concerned with what the day after christmas day is called in a foreign country to him ?

Not anti-Northern.
Not from the ROI (its a soccer team).
Not a Unionist - Anyone on here will tell you despite many of my views, a Unionist I am not.
The North is not a foreign country to me, its under different jursdiction to the Official Irish state in which I was born.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Puckoon on December 16, 2010, 05:50:59 PM
I'm sorry for your troubles. I don't doubt you have met plenty of toolwagons - but you are fond of a spot of typecasting it would seem.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this stereotype is not found in "both" Irelands however. Calling December 26th Boxing day - by no stretch of the wildest imagination should be grounds for being lumped in with Sun reading, Glasgow Celtic supporting, Pub 'Ra song singing idiots.

Fair enough Puckoon, while I don't believe its a British Govt. conspiracy, I do believe its part of the bigger Rupert Murdoch pushing the British Commonwealth-U.S.A. Axis view of the world.