Three Cheers for Pearse Doherty TD

Started by Zapatista, November 03, 2010, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Banana Man on November 18, 2010, 09:19:10 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 18, 2010, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 04:09:13 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on November 05, 2010, 12:10:41 AM
I did not intend to single you out, apologies if it appeared that way. I have already conceded that voting is pointless within the present system, where the prevailing orthodoxies are dictated by the liberal consumerist power centres in Washington, London and Bonn, and anyone who dares to question them will receive short shrift from our bought and paid for national media. The proferred choices in elections between tweedledum and tweedledee,are akin to the Bread and Circuses offered by the ancient Romans.

I think voting should be weighted more in favour of those who pay taxes.

e.g. those who pay no tax get 1 vote
those who pay <€10,000 get 2
and so on up to a max of 3 or 4 maybe.

I agree,  muppet. Also anyone who pays no tax and who meets a taxpayer on the road should be required to hand over his car to the taxpayer. And also there should be a tax on windows.

believe it or not there used to be a tax ion windows, there is a large planters house near to me that has 2 side windows bricked up to avoid the windows threshold and pay tax!

But i get your point lad

Have a look at the Bank Or Ireland on College Green next time you're passing for a concrete example
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

QuoteHave a look at the Bank Or Ireland on College Green next time you're passing for a concrete example

Concrete, geddit, geddit?  Never mind, I have me coat.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bcarrier

Quote from: Pangurban on November 04, 2010, 12:08:22 AM
Much as you may like to believe this nonsense, it is simply not true. FF submitted themselves to the electorate, obtained a sufficient majority to negotiate a coalition deal, and as long as they maintain a majority in the Dail, they are entitled to govern. Your point about By-elections has some small validity, but all governments of whatever hue manipulate the timing of by-elections, there is nothing illegal about it.  My main contention is that a change of government will not make one whit of difference to people who are suffering. In my view the Dail is now a total irrelevance, as it is no longer capable of defending our economic sovereignty, our representing the will of the people

I agree with your general view PB but the will of the people ? Hard to work out what that might be imo . Bertie had a good handle on it though. Give everyone what they want and let the last hour be the hardest.

Nally Stand

Someone has sent up a link on politics.ie from twitter about an exit poll which has Pearse home and dry comfortably  ;D :
Doherty 33% O'Domhnaill 21% McBrearty19% O'Neill 18% Pringle 8%

http://twitter.com/Littlesapling/status/7927903987695616#
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fear ón Srath Bán

Man Pearse, get these Feckin Fcukers out!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Maguire01

That's a good showing for Labour too - a seat for them there in the General Election? Poor showing by FG - they won't be happy with that.

I assume that's first preferences in the poll? I doubt transfers will alter the outcome but it will be interesting to see where they go.

Maguire01

According to the editor of Donegal Democrat on Radio Ulster there was no exit poll. Is somebody spoofing?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 08:53:34 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 26, 2010, 08:48:39 AM
According to the editor of Donegal Democrat on Radio Ulster there was no exit poll. Is somebody spoofing?

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't. It's not as if there were to many constituencies to cover. In saying that, they are usually wrong anyway.
Radio 1 were live from the count centre this morning and said there were no exit polls.

glens abu

early tally

sf 34%
fg 20%
ff 17%
lab 11%
ind 10%

Banana Man

go on pearse! FF down to 17% in a staunch FF area, bad times ahead for the FFer's

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 10:14:15 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 26, 2010, 09:36:45 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 08:53:34 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 26, 2010, 08:48:39 AM

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't. It's not as if there were to many constituencies to cover. In saying that, they are usually wrong anyway.
Radio 1 were live from the count centre this morning and said there were no exit polls.

http://stephenspillane.com/blog/index.php/2010/11/donegal-south-west-exit-poll/
Great stuff then!  Just need to maintain the momentum for the next three months now.

Hound

Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 10:13:35 AM
early tally

sf 34%
fg 20%
ff 17%
lab 11%
ind 10%
according to rte.ie after 10% of ballots tallied, its:

Pearse Doherty 30.8%
FG Clrr barry O'Neill 25%
FF's Brian O'Domhaill 19.2%
Ind Thomas Pringle is on just 9%.

They left out McBrearty but it must be somewhere south of 16%.

Have you got later figures Zap?

O'Neill did better than I expected, but I'd imagine an almost 6% deficit after Count 1 would be too much to make up. I thought Doherty would have got over 40%, given he seemed to me to be the best candidate by a mile. Although I suppose there's still quite a number of people who could just never vote for SF.

Donkeywalloper

10.27 With 38% of the boxes tallied:
Pearse Doherty (SF) 39 %,
Frank McBrearty (Lab) 10.5 %,
Brian O'Domhnall (FF) 20.3 %,
Barry O'Neill (FG) 21.3 %,
Thomas Pringle (Ind) 10.1 %.

as the % of boxes opened increases so too does Doherty's margin

10.37 Tallies: with 63 boxes opened (45% of the votes)
Pearse Doherty (SF) 39.4%,
Frank McBrearty (Lab) 10.8%,
Brian O'Domhnall (FF) 20.6%,
Barry O'Neill (FG) 20.6%,
Thomas Pringle (Ind) 9.7%.

glens abu

51% tally

SF 39.5%
FF 20.3%
FG 19.8%
LAB 11.2%
Ind  9.9%

Banana Man

excellent news, hopefully he retains the seat in the general election, allied to gerry in louth and the other 4 being returned that's SF up to 6 TD's at least, is this big enough to influence policy?