Three Cheers for Pearse Doherty TD

Started by Zapatista, November 03, 2010, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Quote from: Banana Man on November 26, 2010, 10:54:37 AM
excellent news, hopefully he retains the seat in the general election, allied to gerry in louth and the other 4 being returned that's SF up to 6 TD's at least, is this big enough to influence policy?

Would like to think we will get more than that 10-15 with a lot of hard work.

ziggysego

Donegal By Election: 72 boxes out of 137 tallied. Sinn Féin 39%; Fianna Fáil 20%; Fine Gael 20%; Labour 11%, Independent 10%
Testing Accessibility

RedandGreenSniper

That's an outstanding performance by Doherty. He's an exceptional candidate. I think that needs to be borne in mind when making national trends. He was against a weak enough FG candidate and a piss poor Labour one who few enough would trust. So I don't how much be read into SF, FG and Labour performances nationally on this. What is key though is how in a strong area such as Donegal SW for FF, and with a strong candidate in Brian O'Domhnaill, they only took 20.3% - at this stage. They're fecked!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

johnneycool

excellent news, hopefully he retains the seat in the general election, allied to gerry in louth and the other 4 being returned that's SF up to 6 TD's at least, is this big enough to influence policy?

There's a huge difference between a protest vote which this by-election is and a full general election.

That's where Doherty will earn his corn, he does look up to it though.

glens abu

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:01:49 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 10:58:48 AM

I wouldn't be trying to take on the world with this return. There are a few unique factors in this election that won't exist in a general election.

Agree but there is alot of winnable seats out there for SF,last opinion poll gives them 14 seats and another 5 possible.I know only an opinion poll so a lot of work to get the votes

Banana Man

Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 11:07:24 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:01:49 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 10:58:48 AM

I wouldn't be trying to take on the world with this return. There are a few unique factors in this election that won't exist in a general election.

Agree but there is alot of winnable seats out there for SF,last opinion poll gives them 14 seats and another 5 possible.I know only an opinion poll so a lot of work to get the votes

agreed, realistically it's their best opportunity in years to hit double figures, people moving to the left with the current economic policy. The boys in the safe 6 would be sweating if SF made big inroads like that. If you think back to the UK general election, Peter Robinson wasn't long letting us know that the DUP could be possible kingmakers, how the tables could turn!

glens abu

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:12:55 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 11:07:24 AM

It's very difficult to turn it into seats though. For example Adams will top the poll and take 1 seat while in Dublin South East the candidate Will be eliminated ed early. Were SF are strong they are strong but it's not nation wide.

Agree

glens abu

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:20:56 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 26, 2010, 11:19:33 AM
agreed, realistically it's their best opportunity in years to hit double figures, people moving to the left with the current economic policy. The boys in the safe 6 would be sweating if SF made big inroads like that. If you think back to the UK general election, Peter Robinson wasn't long letting us know that the DUP could be possible kingmakers, how the tables could turn!

SF were telling us that in 07

Yip and it didn't happen for us.

Banana Man

Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 11:23:29 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:20:56 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 26, 2010, 11:19:33 AM

SF were telling us that in 07

Yip and it didn't happen for us.

i know lads thats why i said possible ;) f**k don't worry i know it's all if's and but's just thinking out loud

on another point, the boy pringle is on 10% of the vote and he's a former SF councillor if i'm not mistaken. Could it be argued that SF's share was more than 39%???

Canalman

Imo SF will have to keep the trash talking/ gloating to a minimum this evening. A GE early next year and not good pr to do this. Can't see it happening though.

glens abu

Quote from: Canalman on November 26, 2010, 11:47:09 AM
Imo SF will have to keep the trash talking/ gloating to a minimum this evening. A GE early next year and not good pr to do this. Can't see it happening though.

:D :D You hurting,no gloating here just very pleased at a great result.Lifts the spirits and think you should have more to worry about anyway than a bit of gloating if it does happen.

Banana Man

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2010, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on November 26, 2010, 11:25:55 AM

on another point, the boy pringle is on 10% of the vote and he's a former SF councillor if i'm not mistaken. Could it be argued that SF's share was more than 39%???

:D No.

Do ye not think they got enough?

i know i was just acting the bollicks!

Canalman

Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2010, 12:00:36 PM
Quote from: Canalman on November 26, 2010, 11:47:09 AM

:D :D You hurting,no gloating here just very pleased at a great result.Lifts the spirits and think you should have more to worry about anyway than a bit of gloating if it does happen.

Not hurting by any means. Off with yez.................. the people of DSW will be at the polls again in 2 months time or so. Bígí cúramach.

Joxer

Final Tally (which excludes four boxes):

Pearse Doherty (SF) 39.7%
Brian Ó Domhnaill (FF) 21.2%
Barry O'Neill (FG) 18.4%
Frank McBrearty (Lab) 10.1%
Thomas Pringle (Ind) 10.1%.

Lone Shark

Of course there will be issues for Sinn Féin to convert votes to seats, but the litmus test is where will those seats come up? is 14 seats predicated on basically winning one in every border constituency and a few in less well off areas of Dublin, or are there realistic candidates in provincial Leinster, Connacht, and Munster outside of Kerry?

Also, while I wouldn't be a SF voter myself, for the future benefit of the country it might be no bad thing. If we got a Labour/SF/Green/Ind Government with FG as the main party in opposition, you could actually see FF being made properly irrelevant from then on.