Winter 2010/11

Started by Gaaman, October 25, 2010, 12:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaaman

Quote from: maggie on October 26, 2010, 03:22:16 PM
sure us ladies are always looking a 'steady relationship' regardless of the season.  ::)

Stats claim that this is not true. During the summer months 56% of all women would perfer to be single.

Please note 32% of all stats are made up

ross4life

Quote from: ballinaman on October 26, 2010, 05:45:48 AM
Middle of spring here and it's 27degrees.....jaysus,it'll soon be betty swollox weather..

Jaysus that sounds great! Xmas day laying on the beach down-under is my type of summer  :)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orior

Quote from: Gaaman on October 26, 2010, 01:02:10 PM
Be warned fellas of Ireland. It has been suggested that women tend to look for 'steady' relationships over the winter months. It has something to do with wanting to sit in on the cold nights or something.

Can any ladies on this forum back this claim up?

Sit in or Sit on?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Donkeywalloper on October 26, 2010, 10:09:01 AM
You know winter is 6 weeks away when you see some knob walking about with no jacket on, however a scarf tied in a nice big bow  ( and most likely a Tshirt).

They are just knobs full stop,it doesn't matter what season it is no man should ever wear a scarf in that way..

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ross4life

Can't have a winter thread without a viewing of this chap again  :D

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2010, 08:58:04 PM
You know winter is 6 weeks away when you see some knob walking about with no jacket on, however a scarf tied in a nice big bow  ( and most likely a Tshirt).

They are just knobs full stop,it doesn't matter what season it is no man should ever wear a scarf in that way..
We agree on this every winter too. These twats need to take a look at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house.

sammymaguire

Quote from: David McKeown on October 26, 2010, 10:17:20 AM
Quote from: Gaaman on October 25, 2010, 12:14:29 PM
Today it was minus 6 at 06:30.

I went out this morning and started the car and cleared the windscreen with luke warm water. Came back out and it had frozen over again.

I always found that cool water was better for the windscreen as it takes longer to freeze over again, the trick though is to make sure its only just warm enough to get rid of the ice and that you get the wipers on it straight away

You must be loaded!!  8)  :o aftershave for clearing your windows!!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

David McKeown

Just trying to illustrate that warm water freezes quicker but I'd say the alcohol in cool water probably helps
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

leenie

Be warned fellas of Ireland. It has been suggested that women tend to look for 'steady' relationships over the winter months. It has something to do with wanting to sit in on the cold nights or something.

:-\
hmmm i think you could be onto something here!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Gaaman

Quote from: leenie on October 27, 2010, 12:40:16 AM

:-\
hmmm i think you could be onto something here!

Told yas.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 26, 2010, 09:45:58 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 26, 2010, 08:58:04 PM

We agree on this every winter too. These t**ts need to take a look at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house.

I don't understand. I don't wear a scarf, but being a style ignoramus, I'm fascinated at the suggestion that there's a right and a wrong way to wear one. I can grasp the necessity to wear shoes the only way that makes sense. Socks, too, and you wouldn't put your shirt on upside-down. But a scarf? Why does it matter what way you hang it on your neck? Are there rules for whether you do your shoelaces straight across or criss-crossey?

Donkeywalloper

No so much what way they wear a scarf, whether it be big bow, wrap around or whatever.
My point is more on the fact of wearing a scarf with a t shirt for example. Yes it may be a fashion statement but it defies logic IMO. Next thing some of these buckos will be using moisturiser.

EC Unique

Quote from: David McKeown on October 27, 2010, 12:22:42 AM
Just trying to illustrate that warm water freezes quicker but I'd say the alcohol in cool water probably helps

Is this true or just an old wives tale? Is it a scientific fact that it takes water at 5 degrees longer to reach zero than water at 50 degrees?

I doubt it.

Gaaman

I haven't started many topics in my time and think this could be my last. I constantly keep checking the board to see if there are any updates and if the thread slips down the list I usually post to bring it back to the top. Its turning into a bit of an obcession.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: EC Unique on October 27, 2010, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on October 27, 2010, 12:22:42 AM

Is this true or just an old wives tale? Is it a scientific fact that it takes water at 5 degrees longer to reach zero than water at 50 degrees?

I doubt it.

The hot water is more likely to be supercooled. This means that the hot water's temperature is more likely to cool to temperatures below zero degrees Celsius. In the cold non-supercooled water, ice crystals form and float to the top, forming a sheet of ice over the top of the water, creating an insulating layer between the cooler air and the water. This ice sheet also stops evaporation. In the hot water that has become supercooled (thus, no longer hot) the water, when it does freeze, freezes throughout, creating more or less of a slush before freezing solid.

Why is hot water more likely to be supercooled? Because hot water is less likely to contain tiny gas bubbles. Gas bubbles form from dissolved gasses as the water cools. When the hot water was heated, these dissolved gasses may have been driven out. In cold water, ice crystals use the tiny bubbles as starting points for formation (nucleation points). But in the hot water, there are no bubbles, so there aren't as many starting points for the ice crystals.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".