CONNACHT CLUB FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by Shrewdness, September 26, 2010, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 27, 2010, 02:45:02 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 26, 2010, 08:19:46 PM
It will take a good team to beat Harps, i think both Harps and Brigids are evenly matched, both have experienced reliable free takers in dolan and taylor, midfield mannion v tony taylor, dolan v donovan, p taylor v domican, should make for interesting match ups. Harps also have Paul McGovern who is flying at the min but Harps are the masters of team effort. Brigids prob the favs with home advantage. Best of luck to Harps.
Have Sligo club teams not got an appalling record in Connacht?

Well their County Final is appalingly expensive, if I remember rightly I went to the Sligo County Final a few years back and it cost me €10 more than the Mayo County Final in McHale Park. I think the match was Tourestrane V Eastern Harps if I remember rightly.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:41:38 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 02:06:32 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 27, 2010, 12:21:27 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 26, 2010, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 26, 2010, 08:08:56 PM
I think St.Brigid's have a excellent chance to regain the Connacht title they last won in 2007! F.Dolan has been one of the best players of the Roscommon club Championship & the return of Senan Kilbride has been a big boost to them

No doubt Eastern Harps will give them a good game, unsure about Mayo Club football.. A lot of the big names (Crossmolina,Ballina) from recent years are not there

Though i can imagine Castlebar Mitchels will be an strong team

For me the Galway Champs will be favourites

Castlebar haven't won Mayo yet ross4life, I'm not sure either Mitchels or Ballintubber will be looking much farther than the County Final, for both teams this would be a great accomplishment and their goal at the start of the year. I think Sligo, Roscommon and Galway are probably stronger than the Mayo finalists, not sure where Leitrim lye
Glencar/Manorhamilton won there final today 7 to 5, in the usual dire leitrim club football matches. Thats 3 in a row for them and they must of built up a bit of experience in connacht club by now to give a right go... i know Harps knocked them out in 08 by 10pts but early in the 2nd half they threw the kitchen sink at harps but once harps held out the storm they won easy.

So, so far its probably Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim in that order. Mitchels or Balintubber might go up the pecking order based on the Final, but I think Mitchels has more to offer but they tend to drift off in games for 15 minutes at a time, against a good team you could have conceded 2.03 in that time and its game over.

Are you serious? Even alphabetically we would be a better prospect.

You rate Roscommon Club football as highly as the County team i see  ::)

It will take a good team to beat Harps, i think both Harps and Brigids are evenly matched, both have experienced reliable free takers in dolan and taylor, midfield mannion v tony taylor, dolan v donovan, p taylor v domican, should make for interesting match ups. Harps also have Paul McGovern who is flying at the min but Harps are the masters of team effort. Brigids prob the favs with home advantage. Best of luck to Harps.

St. Mary's had an excellent team won a couple of connachts in the 70s 80s
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on September 27, 2010, 05:58:20 PM
I think St.Brigid's have a excellent chance to regain the Connacht title they last won in 2007! F.Dolan has been one of the best players of the Roscommon club Championship & the return of Senan Kilbride has been a big boost to them

No doubt Eastern Harps will give them a good game, unsure about Mayo Club football.. A lot of the big names (Crossmolina,Ballina) from recent years are not there

Castlebar haven't won Mayo yet ross4life, I'm not sure either Mitchels or Ballintubber will be looking much farther than the County Final, for both teams this would be a great accomplishment and their goal at the start of the year. I think Sligo, Roscommon and Galway are probably stronger than the Mayo finalists, not sure where Leitrim lye
Glencar/Manorhamilton won there final today 7 to 5, in the usual dire leitrim club football matches. Thats 3 in a row for them and they must of built up a bit of experience in connacht club by now to give a right go... i know Harps knocked them out in 08 by 10pts but early in the 2nd half they threw the kitchen sink at harps but once harps held out the storm they won easy.

So, so far its probably Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim in that order. Mitchels or Balintubber might go up the pecking order based on the Final, but I think Mitchels has more to offer but they tend to drift off in games for 15 minutes at a time, against a good team you could have conceded 2.03 in that time and its game over.

St. Mary's had an excellent team won a couple of connachts in the 70s 80s

3-5 years ago Muppet would be more than correct to say Mayo Club football was a good country kilometre ahead of Roscommon Club football, but I firmly believe quite the opposite at the moment (in relation to County Champions), while Mayo Intercounty football is down I would be alot more confident of Mayo beating Roscommon than a Mayo Club Champion beating a Roscommon Club Champion at the moment. I do believe there is alot more depth in Mayo Club football than Roscommon football, but the top Mayo teams are not looking down at the top Roscommon anymore.

muppet

I was talking about Mayo, merely pointing out that even alphabetically Mayo would be higher up the list. Your paranoia is getting quite serious now.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:15:17 PM

I was talking about Mayo, merely pointing out that even alphabetically Mayo would be higher up the list. Your paranoia is getting quite serious now.

Not often I will back ross4life ahead of you Muppet, but in this context I was clearly speaking of Club football not Intercounty.

ross4life

Well if you think Mayo Clubs are better that's fair enough (record speaks for itself) but you said alphabetically meaning Leitrim champs are ahead of Roscommon??

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on September 27, 2010, 06:23:31 PM

Well if you think Mayo Clubs are better that's fair enough (record speaks for itself) but you said alphabetically meaning Leitrim champs are ahead of Roscommon??

I said nothing of the sort. Read it again. I was only talking about Mayo, who he listed as 4th out of the 5. I said we would be higher even alphabetically. I was strongly suggesting that I believe Mayo would be higher than 4th out of 5. That's it, nothing about any other county.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 27, 2010, 06:23:31 PM

I said nothing of the sort. Read it again. I was only talking about Mayo, who he listed as 4th out of the 5. I said we would be higher even alphabetically. I was strongly suggesting that I believe Mayo would be higher than 4th out of 5. That's it, nothing about any other county.

Again Muppet I was talking of Club Football and this year only, this may change if Mitchels or Tubber impress in the County Final. I think Mitchels have lots of potential but the way they drift off really scares me against a good Roscommon and especially Galway team. Not too sure of the quality in Sligo, but Eastern Harps isn't it, aren't a bad outfit, not sure how different a team they have since I last saw they play. Leitrim I am clueless on to be honest.

ross4life

Well Muppet don't be afraid to say Mayo club football is not what it once was at the moment! for me St. Brigid's are the only Roscommon team Since Clann na nGael that can cut it at Connnacht level

Castlerea were good Roscommon Champs but were punching above there weight when it came to Connacht & as i said already I'm unsure how good or bad the Mayo Champs will be this year?

muppet

Either of the potential Mayo Champions should be targeting a good run in the Connacht Club Championship. Why wouldn't they? If they don't they shouldn't bother turning up. Same for Galway and Ros. Sligo and Leitrim clubs don't have a good record but that doesn't mean neither could make a breakthrough. History though suggests Mayo clubs should fear no one.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:55:52 PM
Either of the potential Mayo Champions should be targeting a good run in the Connacht Club Championship. Why wouldn't they? If they don't they shouldn't bother turning up. Same for Galway and Ros. Sligo and Leitrim clubs don't have a good record but that doesn't mean neither could make a breakthrough. History though suggests Mayo clubs should fear no one.

Well Muppet am I correct in saying the last time Castlebar Mitchels won Mayo they got all the way to the All-Ireland Final to play Nemo Rangers.

ross4life

I get the feeling both you guys are Castlebar men? lived there for 6 years & Mitchels weren't great then.. how did the improvement come about?

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: ross4life on September 27, 2010, 07:39:21 PM
I get the feeling both you guys are Castlebar men? lived there for 6 years & Mitchels weren't great then.. how did the improvement come about?

They got all their clubmen onto coaching/managerial positions at all underage levels at intercounty football. Put mass amounts of their underage players onto to these development panels. Now it has paid fruition. It was a sick joke here for a while the amount of average to poor castlebar players who made underage county panels. Especially when there was far better talent in the smaller clubs surrounding Castlebar such as parke Islandeady Ballintubber etc

ross4life

Well i suppose the big towns likes Westport,Ballinrobe & Castlebar didn't put in as much effort as the smaller clubs... Charlestown were an good example of what can be done with the right effort

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on September 27, 2010, 07:59:31 PM
Well i suppose the big towns likes Westport,Ballinrobe & Castlebar didn't put in as much effort as the smaller clubs... Charlestown were an good example of what can be done with the right effort

And poaching
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"