CONNACHT CLUB FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by Shrewdness, September 26, 2010, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

So, we now have the first three contenders for the 2010 Connacht Club Championship with the various titles going to Glencar-Manorhamilton (Leitrim), Eastern Harps(Sligo) and St.Brigid's (Roscommon).

It seems St.Brigid's will have home advantage against Eastern Harps next day out.

They beat Elphin 0-14 to 0-9 in today's Co.Final with Frankie Dolan turning back the clock with a man of the match performance.

I reckon Brigid's are well equipped to give Connacht a decent go this year with players like Dolan, Karol Mannion, Senan and Ian Kilbride, Peter Domican amongst others, although Eastern Harps will present a stiff challenge.

Very low scoring final in Leitrim, 0-7 to 0-5.

Needless to say, the Galway and Mayo champs will be strong.

ross4life

I think St.Brigid's have a excellent chance to regain the Connacht title they last won in 2007! F.Dolan has been one of the best players of the Roscommon club Championship & the return of Senan Kilbride has been a big boost to them

No doubt Eastern Harps will give them a good game, unsure about Mayo Club football.. A lot of the big names (Crossmolina,Ballina) from recent years are not there

Though i can imagine Castlebar Mitchels will be an strong team

For me the Galway Champs will be favourites
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

It will take a good team to beat Harps, i think both Harps and Brigids are evenly matched, both have experienced reliable free takers in dolan and taylor, midfield mannion v tony taylor, dolan v donovan, p taylor v domican, should make for interesting match ups. Harps also have Paul McGovern who is flying at the min but Harps are the masters of team effort. Brigids prob the favs with home advantage. Best of luck to Harps.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

I'm also unsure about Mayo club football ross4life. I think the standard of club games has dropped a lot in recent years. Today for example, Castlebar dominated the first half against a Knockmore team reeling with injuries and misfortunes before the game, yet only led by 2 at the break. The second game sounded worse listening to it on the radio. Castlebar/Ballintubber play the Galway champs I believe and will have to raise their game considerably if they want to get to the Connacht final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway final is Corofin v Killererin.

Would have to fancy Corofin. Still a very strong all-round team although maybe a bit short up front to win an All-Ireland. Killererin do have the Joyce's though so if they hit form in the final they could do it.

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 26, 2010, 08:19:46 PM
It will take a good team to beat Harps, i think both Harps and Brigids are evenly matched, both have experienced reliable free takers in dolan and taylor, midfield mannion v tony taylor, dolan v donovan, p taylor v domican, should make for interesting match ups. Harps also have Paul McGovern who is flying at the min but Harps are the masters of team effort. Brigids prob the favs with home advantage. Best of luck to Harps.

Has the makings of a good game i might tag along i believe it's on 17th October in Kiltoom

What age is Paul Taylor now?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on September 26, 2010, 08:08:56 PM
I think St.Brigid's have a excellent chance to regain the Connacht title they last won in 2007! F.Dolan has been one of the best players of the Roscommon club Championship & the return of Senan Kilbride has been a big boost to them

No doubt Eastern Harps will give them a good game, unsure about Mayo Club football.. A lot of the big names (Crossmolina,Ballina) from recent years are not there

Castlebar haven't won Mayo yet ross4life, I'm not sure either Mitchels or Ballintubber will be looking much farther than the County Final, for both teams this would be a great accomplishment and their goal at the start of the year. I think Sligo, Roscommon and Galway are probably stronger than the Mayo finalists, not sure where Leitrim lye
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on September 26, 2010, 09:09:15 PM

Has the makings of a good game i might tag along i believe it's on 17th October in Kiltoom

What age is Paul Taylor now?
Born in 75, same as EOH.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 26, 2010, 11:15:46 PM

Castlebar haven't won Mayo yet ross4life, I'm not sure either Mitchels or Ballintubber will be looking much farther than the County Final, for both teams this would be a great accomplishment and their goal at the start of the year. I think Sligo, Roscommon and Galway are probably stronger than the Mayo finalists, not sure where Leitrim lye
Glencar/Manorhamilton won there final today 7 to 5, in the usual dire leitrim club football matches. Thats 3 in a row for them and they must of built up a bit of experience in connacht club by now to give a right go... i know Harps knocked them out in 08 by 10pts but early in the 2nd half they threw the kitchen sink at harps but once harps held out the storm they won easy.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 27, 2010, 12:21:27 AM

Glencar/Manorhamilton won there final today 7 to 5, in the usual dire leitrim club football matches. Thats 3 in a row for them and they must of built up a bit of experience in connacht club by now to give a right go... i know Harps knocked them out in 08 by 10pts but early in the 2nd half they threw the kitchen sink at harps but once harps held out the storm they won easy.

So, so far its probably Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim in that order. Mitchels or Balintubber might go up the pecking order based on the Final, but I think Mitchels has more to offer but they tend to drift off in games for 15 minutes at a time, against a good team you could have conceded 2.03 in that time and its game over.

muppet

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 02:06:32 AM

So, so far its probably Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim in that order. Mitchels or Balintubber might go up the pecking order based on the Final, but I think Mitchels has more to offer but they tend to drift off in games for 15 minutes at a time, against a good team you could have conceded 2.03 in that time and its game over.

Are you serious? Even alphabetically we would be a better prospect.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 27, 2010, 06:41:38 AM

That was on our Club Champions 2010, I don't think Castlebar or Balintubber are ready to challenge for the Connacht Title yet, but a good Mayo County Final and my opinion might change. Maybe I am a little hesitant to put the Mayo teams up higher as its a long time since either has got this far. Mitchels may be one of the top County title holders in the Country, but its been a while. Has Balintuber ever won one!!!

Tubberman

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 09:04:12 AM

That was on our Club Champions 2010, I don't think Castlebar or Balintubber are ready to challenge for the Connacht Title yet, but a good Mayo County Final and my opinion might change. Maybe I am a little hesitant to put the Mayo teams up higher as its a long time since either has got this far. Mitchels may be one of the top County title holders in the Country, but its been a while. Has Balintuber ever won one!!!

No, this will the club's first senior county final. So there won't be anyone thinking about Connacht Championship campaigns - yet....  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on September 27, 2010, 09:07:19 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 27, 2010, 09:04:12 AM

No, this will the club's first senior county final. So there won't be anyone thinking about Connacht Championship campaigns - yet....  ;)

Well Tubberman its going to be a good day for the Castlebar area either way and a great night in town. Its been the mid-90's since Mitchels one of Mayo's big two last won and the Tubber will be a new name on the Cup. So its win-win, and bragging rights aroung town for a while. Always felt a little sorry for Balla all those years back when Mitchels bate them, I was chuffed Mitchels got all the way to the All-Ireland Final, but Balla had their chance and it will be a long time before it comes again. That was a good old-Castlebar area match up. I like to see the likes of Islaneady, Breaffy and Parke do well too.

Hey isn't Carnacon the same parish as Balintubber!

Bogball XV

Have Sligo club teams not got an appalling record in Connacht?