Derry looking for new miracle worker - sorry Manager

Started by lynchbhoy, September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoireGael

Would you say whoever does get the job will sadly take on the toughest Derry managerial position there's been for possibly the last 25-30 years  ???

HowsthataFoul?

Well to start with eugene young took ardboe to a tyrone title in the 90's and dont think he would be in the position is with the ulster council if he didnt know a wee bit about coaching

JMohan

I was suggesting him as a Director of Football not a coach or manager by the way

Bogball XV

Quote from: DoireGael on September 11, 2010, 10:31:51 AM
Would you say whoever does get the job will sadly take on the toughest Derry managerial position there's been for possibly the last 25-30 years  ???
things were at a low ebb when mickey moran took over back in the early 80's, we were in div 3 north for a few years in a row back after that, and it's not to say that we had nothing coming through, 3 all ireland minor finals and an u21 final, but it just didn't come through at senior level.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: HowsthataFoul? on September 11, 2010, 01:58:37 PM
Well to start with eugene young took ardboe to a tyrone title in the 90's and dont think he would be in the position is with the ulster council if he didnt know a wee bit about coaching
and unfortunately finish with! :D

Not sure if that stands for much!

Naw he just hasn't done it!

shawshank

Quote from: shawshank on September 08, 2010, 11:53:13 AM
I believe that Derry will struggle for a while before its improves, and i base this on a number of things
1. We don't have the players, and I can't see how anyone who has knowledge on derry football could argue differently. The quality of club football has seriously declined, particularly in the past three/four years and its now that it is beginning to actually show.
2. We have had no undergae success for a long time, and especially at u21, which is more reflective of how many players are actually close to senior county ability. Down are in an senior final, did it come from no where, bollox, they have won Ulster u21 in 05, 08, 09 being closely beaten in the All Ireland final last year. Pete Mc Grath knew Down were turning the corner and explains why he went for the job. Kildare won the u21's under Glen Ryan a few years ago, in other words evidence of a number of teams or quality players emerging. derry are not Kerry, we need successful underage teams to allow us to have a successful senior team
3. can any Derry poster tell me who might be our full back, please do, cause I can't see it, who is our midfilders, don't talk about the current one's, there not good enough for a winning Ulster c'ship team, full of effort but the quality is tripe, none can score, and that element mising from midfield play is really hurting Derry. Perhaps Kevein O'Neill may step up, and i do hope so, but I serious doubt his phyically strenght to play in this area never mind the desire
4. Our senior players ie Mc Cloy, Doherty, Muldoon, paddy Bradley are all over the hill and are on the downward slope, there peformances with the exception of muldoon have been consistantly poor the past 2 yrs in the big games Derry have played. Worst still is that none of them are leaders on the pitch (Muldoon excluded), and when derry need that player to step up in the games they are chasing, bang they are no where to be seen.
5. In the absense of obvious leaders at this minute, who do we look to, Gerard O'kane, a player who was made captain this yr and it looks like he struggled with the responsibility. Eoin Brdaley, phew. Barry Mc Goldrick (possibly), Mark Lynch, maybe, this has been his best year in a Derry jersry.
6. We have not put back to back wins in the Ulster c'ship in tens years, that tells anyone with half a brain that the players are not good enough, even with a bad manager, the law of averages will have pervailed to break that duct over a ten year period

In summary my assessment maybe pessimistic, but Lynchboy is corrct when he says that we very close to the teams in dividion one in result terms. He is wrong in saying division 4 teams could have beaten us, we lost in the c'ship to Kildare, in a game where derry created a serious amount of untaken scoring chances,so perhaps there is more potential than i think, but I will go back to point 3 and 4.

I would really like to see Brennan get the job.

Lets have a decent debate on this as the derry thread is now useless for debate. Glad you started this on a new thread.

I think I will kick this off again. I am quoting exactly what I wrote two years ago. I think I can confidently say it was an accurate post then and it still applies.

rosnarun

QuoteI would really like to see Brennan get the job

is that the same brennan you want or does he have a brother or something
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

shawshank

I think if you read my post it not the manager or the managers before him that are or were the problem. Brennan was entitled to the job based on his club record. You can change the manager all you want but you can't improve the players.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

camanchero

were Longford a div 3 or div 4 team ?

IMO Brennan was a good selection for last year.
However he seems to have been dragged backwards himself as I have been told about several things happening where like in prev years ,players dictated to the manager about certain things - who is to play, who is on the squad and what strategy to implement etc.
thats not the Brennan I heard about prior to his appointment- he was a thick headed man who players had to toe the line for and indeed this happened last season and we looked like we were making good progress.

this year we have regressed back to old habits.
the record is cracked and replaying itself over and over again (apologies to younger posters who havent experienced this phenomenon) - we play mckena cup and then league games with wholesale personnel changes for each match. we play mckenna cup games and then league matches and alter our tactics /style/strategy each game also.
thats no basis for cohesion and continuity.
you have to implement a style and stick with it, then t**ker with it to fine tune and improve upon it.
thats what Tyrone did. thats what Donegal have done.
other teams also.
We suffer from goldfish memory in Derry.
then at the first sign of diffulty, we throw the baby out with the bathwater and groundhog day returns.
We may as well request the best player be sent form each club in Derry to the squad and on each matchday we pick the starting XV from a hat and then pick the team stragey out from another hat.
what we have done this season isnt a whole lot different from this anyhow.

Given that Brennan has conceded to player power - to me it looks like he has already given up and wants out asap. Well he hasnt much choice now.

Derry are like that shower of bad soldiers in heartbreak ridge.
they need discipline, manners, structure, fitness, the right attitude and we need a clint fecking eastwood to preside over this.
Brennan I thought was the man. We prob need  the reincarnation of adolf hitler.

shawshank

Well if I'm not mistaken Cassidy got rid of the particular player who has caused those problems, but everybody then wanted him out when he let the guiletine fall. The same player who was not invovled last year, and as a result we had a united changing room, a proper team with togetherness. But regardless of that side show, you still don't get it, we don't have the players, Hitler, Busquets nor Coleman (RIP) can fix that!

armaghniac

Derry should have 3 times the pick of Longford, and should be capable of beating them, whatever about winning the AI. You should have players to do that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

camanchero

no - I dont agree.
while Derry may or may not have the players to mount a serious campaign for an AI - there are enough players there to play way and above what they have 'delivered' this and indeed last seasons.
Last year was hailed by many as a success- I'd say it was a 'start'.

correct strategy (picking your style to suit the players you have) , fitness, attitude and cohesion would help Derry get a lot further.

I'd point to Fermanager a few years ago getting to the AI semi final as proof of this.
a few stand out players with a hard working team and good supporting cast of players helped them along the way.
other 'smaller' teams emulate this each season to varying degrees.

imo Derry are a disgrace in relation to the talent that i believe they have.
while not in the same groupe as the top 5 or 6, they are capable of being in the next level.
right now they are not at any table, they are eating off the floor.

donegal were in the same situation a few short years ago.

real food, real people

Probably the best time ever for a new man to come in (if Brennan departs of course). Zero expectation in the County now so nothing to lose!

shawshank

Donegal backed up with an u21 team that got to an All Ireland final. Underage quality.