Derry looking for new miracle worker - sorry Manager

Started by lynchbhoy, September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

My club have been totally loyal to their county. Name me one other player apart from Kieran who didn't play for Derry. Totally different from Brennan who told the Loup boys last year to leave the county. He also told McCloy  and O'Boyle to leave it this year and him and Downey were refusing to take Lavey this year if their players played county hurling.
If every club had this "winning mentality" there would be no need for a county manager.
Neither he nor Downey showed any respect for their county and shouldn't be let near the job!

oakleafgael

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 09, 2010, 10:11:18 AM
My club have been totally loyal to their county. Name me one other player apart from Kieran who didn't play for Derry. Totally different from Brennan who told the Loup boys last year to leave the county. He also told McCloy  and O'Boyle to leave it this year and him and Downey were refusing to take Lavey this year if their players played county hurling.
If every club had this "winning mentality" there would be no need for a county manager.
Neither he nor Downey showed any respect for their county and shouldn't be let near the job!

TFAL,

Im going to call that for what it is, bullshit. I know of a couple of other Bellaghy men who have been asked in the past but didnt take up the offer. I also know as a fact that Brennan didnt tell either McCloy or O'Boyle to leave the county panel this year.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 09, 2010, 11:04:02 AM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 09, 2010, 10:11:18 AM

TFAL,

Im going to call that for what it is, bullshit. I know of a couple of other Bellaghy men who have been asked in the past but didnt take up the offer. I also know as a fact that Brennan didnt tell either McCloy or O'Boyle to leave the county panel this year.

You seem to be in thye "know" alright. How do you know for a fact?

What about not allowing the hurlers play for Derry. What do you know about that?

Stall the Bailer

Ye Derry boys can't even keep your focus on this thread. It strays from County manager straight to club rivalry.

Paddy1804

Whatever about Brennan, he really deserves his go.  Give him the same time that Cassidy had (2 years) and see how he gets on.  There is nobody involved in football in Derry with a record to come close to his, nobody. 

I also honestly feel that his 'character;) is exactly the medicine that we need right now. 

If he's given the job, his back room team will also be crucial - when you look at Down's it looks like a dream-team with Paddy Tally, Brian McIver and Jerome Johnston.

Whoever gets the job must be allowed some time, we were so poor last year, and for the last number of years, that I honestly would be content to see good organisation and some passion.  Once that's in place, try and develop the good players that we have in to great ones (something Paddy Tally is renowned for) - for example Mark Lynch, James Kielt, Sean Leo McGoldrick and Caolan O'Boyle. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 09, 2010, 11:45:00 AM
Ye Derry boys can't even keep your focus on this thread. It strays from County manager straight to club rivalry.
therin lies part of our problem - it is relevant to the discussion imo.

a bit of bleeding of problems in order to reconcile and move onwards and upwards might be required.

All clubs send their biggest /hardest men (maximun of 3 each) to the top of Glenshane for a humdinger of a scrap and put all to bed after this !
Maybe county Derry post and Derry GAA could cover this and tape this. The proceeds go towards next years Intercounty teams funds !!
;)

Real Talk

Read this on the Hoganstand from Liam O'Neill former Mayo manager  This also applies to the problem in Derry, although we haven't had the same success at Minor and U21 level

Former Mayo senior football manager Liam O'Neill feels that the appointment of a director of football in the county would be hugely beneficial to the Connacht side.
O'Neill, who was in charge of the Mayo seniors for four years during the eighties now lives in San Diego California and works as a GAA coach out there.
He believes that the work is been done at underage level, but that the problem lies after this when transforming the minor stars into senior stars.
"It's not unusual to have players on the under-16 team cycle through at least six managers up to the time they finish at under-21 level. During this formative period they are subjected to mixed messages on all levels, especially in tactics and execution in the match setting, leading to confusion on the part of the young players," said O'Neill.
"With no where to go for advice, their careers are in the hands of the next manager, voted in, leading to even further confusion. I believe a relatively quick way to streamline player development is to get everyone on the same well designed plan, communicating and implementing a strategic, common programme.
"This programme must be implemented and managed by a full time director of coaching and that person must be employed independent of the county board."

JMohan

Would Eugene Young not be the perfect person for that role?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Real Talk on September 09, 2010, 10:49:01 PM
Read this on the Hoganstand from Liam O'Neill former Mayo manager  This also applies to the problem in Derry, although we haven't had the same success at Minor and U21 level
We haven't been that bad at minor, one all ireland and one other snatched from us with a last minute goal in the last 8 years.  True U21 hasn't been up to much, but then we don't take it as seriously as other counties, whether that's right or wrong, I don't know.

HowsthataFoul?

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 10, 2010, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: JMohan on September 10, 2010, 07:23:20 AM
Would Eugene Young not be the perfect person for that role?

Naw

TFAL How about giving a reason for your opinion on this rather than dismissing it out right? Personally i think he would be as a good candidate as any other derry man only other derry man who would have the required experience might be chris brown

tonesfirstandlast

What success has Eugene Young had at coaching.

Agree Chris would be be a great choice. He has done it all as a player, coach and administrator and is also an excellent club man.