Derry looking for new miracle worker - sorry Manager

Started by lynchbhoy, September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lecale4

Enda Gormley - done well winning Ulster Minor Club? Would command respect - take no sh*te

theticklemister

Quote from: lecale4 on July 02, 2012, 01:36:43 PM
Enda Gormley - done well winning Ulster Minor Club? Would command respect - take no sh*te

If Gormley took it every Hurl in the county would be burned in a big bonfire to rival the July 12th craic.

shawshank

so did Martin Mc Williams from Kilrea. Could you make a serious post.

sheamy

Quote from: shawshank on July 02, 2012, 01:54:01 PM

so did Kevin Mc Williams from Kilrea. Could you make a serious post.

Can you change that to Martin and make that a serious post?  ;D

shawshank

camanchero

did Fermanagh have underage success in order for them to get to the senior AI semi final ?

Bensars

Is the decline in Derry football on a national level linked to the decline of St Pats Maghera , or is the decline in St Pats Maghera due to the decline in Derry football ?

Give and Go

I always look in at the Derry thread as i followed their fortunes closely for a few years. As a county Derry seems especially bad as regards supporting team management and pulling together. When Mickey Moran and John Morrisson were in charge Derry were a force but they were constantly ridiculed.
They brought a lot of good stuff to the table;
A defined style of play (like it or not).
A settled team
Great organisation
Tactical awareness
I thought Derry played really well under them but they got the boot.
WE all give out about the cost of preparing County teams but in truth no money would pay you to be involved with one!

Real Talk

Quote from: Bensars on July 02, 2012, 03:07:24 PM
Is the decline in Derry football on a national level linked to the decline of St Pats Maghera , or is the decline in St Pats Maghera due to the decline in Derry football ?

The St Pats Maghera decline is due to 2 things    More boys going to St Mary's Magherafelt and Big Adrian McGuckin retiring from the school and this has indeed contributed to the decline of the County Team.   Adrian was completely committed to get the best gaelic players to first of all 'go to St Pats' and then 'coached them' to be good team players with a 'winning mentality' amd yet none of our County Board  members in the last 20yrs have sought his service or his advice.   Buts its still not too late.   No one would relish the challenge better

Derry Optimist

I believe the County Board, in co-operation with Club Derry, have recently initiated a five year strategic plan for the development of Gaelic football within the county, with special emphasis on the 15 to 21 year old age group.
They must be complimented on this comprehensive plan. However, I think, they must also set in train a similar programme for all potential Senior inter county footballers over the age of 21.Only if this were done can we really expect that each player will fulfil not only their full individual potential but can also maximise their talent as a member of a team. IN ADDITION IN ORRDER TO ENSURE A CONTINUITY OF FITNES AND CONDITIONING PROGRAMMES AS WELL ASDIETARY AND GENERAL PREPARATIONS i SUGGEST THAT AN OVERALL dIRECTOR OF fOTBALL SHOULD BE APPOINTED .his basic remit would beto ensure tatevery ine from County Boardto all coachec at each levey and each club would be singing off the same hymn sheet.WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE WITHIN THE COUNTY THE IDEAL MAN FO FULFIL THAT ROLE,a

EC Unique

Quote from: Derry Optimist on July 02, 2012, 05:39:31 PM
I believe the County Board, in co-operation with Club Derry, have recently initiated a five year strategic plan for the development of Gaelic football within the county, with special emphasis on the 15 to 21 year old age group.
They must be complimented on this comprehensive plan. However, I think, they must also set in train a similar programme for all potential Senior inter county footballers over the age of 21.Only if this were done can we really expect that each player will fulfil not only their full individual potential but can also maximise their talent as a member of a team. IN ADDITION IN ORRDER TO ENSURE A CONTINUITY OF FITNES AND CONDITIONING PROGRAMMES AS WELL ASDIETARY AND GENERAL PREPARATIONS i SUGGEST THAT AN OVERALL dIRECTOR OF fOTBALL SHOULD BE APPOINTED .his basic remit would beto ensure tatevery ine from County Boardto all coachec at each levey and each club would be singing off the same hymn sheet.WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE WITHIN THE COUNTY THE IDEAL MAN FO FULFIL THAT ROLE,a

Is this a joke?

sheamy

what's wrong Hardy? Do you not recognise the classic Joycean technique of stream of consciousness when you see it?

screenexile

Quote from: Real Talk on July 02, 2012, 03:31:33 PM
Quote from: Bensars on July 02, 2012, 03:07:24 PM

The St Pats Maghera decline is due to 2 things    More boys going to St Mary's Magherafelt and Big Adrian McGuckin retiring from the school and this has indeed contributed to the decline of the County Team.   Adrian was completely committed to get the best gaelic players to first of all 'go to St Pats' and then 'coached them' to be good team players with a 'winning mentality' amd yet none of our County Board  members in the last 20yrs have sought his service or his advice.   Buts its still not too late.   No one would relish the challenge better

It's not St. Mary's that's causing the problems it's the fact that most School teams in Derry have gotten their act together in terms of football. St. Pius, St. Columb's Derry, St. Colm's Ballinascreen, St. Paul's Kilrea, St. Mary's Clady, Lumen Christi have all had relative footballing success in different competitions over the last few years. Put that along with the fact St. Pat's don't have the same pull without McGuckin and you have the present situation.

There's no doubt about it St. Pat's was like an academy system for young lads in Derry where they were coached well and given all the tools to be good footballers. Since McGuckin has left there has been a vacuum and we are starting to see the effect that has had on the County overall.

Hardy

Quote from: sheamy on July 03, 2012, 09:34:37 AM
what's wrong Hardy? Do you not recognise the classic Joycean technique of stream of consciousness when you see it?

It was the cliffhanging end that got me. Are we to expect a follier-up episode?