The Official Ryder Cup Thread,Celtic Manor Wales 2010

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 22, 2010, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

It was always going to be a tough choice and a big name or two was always going to miss out. There is probably more pressure on Harrington than the other wildcards to perform in a few weeks but he is definitely more than capable of it. I probably would have taken Casey or Rose over Donald though.

sammymaguire

Hope I'm wrong but I think Monty is gonna be a crap captain. Don't like those picks at all, Casey was a MUST
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 29, 2010, 07:30:59 PM
Hope I'm wrong but I think Monty is gonna be a crap captain. Don't like those picks at all, Casey was a MUST

I disagree with that. Ability and form wise there is very little between any of these guys. Bottle is the key thing for me and I think Casey bottles it (relatively) when under real pressure. Harrington used to have a problem in this area but he got it sorted. Molinari over Rose was the hard call for me. The guy went out and won a tournament when most needed so no complaints. I think Donald was a no-brainer as he is so accurate and a steady partner.

Think Monty might actually make a good captain. The arrogance seems to be gone and he is listening to other people and very conscious of other players feelings. This wouldn't have been the old Monty so fair play to him. Its also in stark contrast to the disastrous last European captain.

thebigfella

Anyone know about these rumors about monty? Supposed to be a bigger kinky fcuker than mosley ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: tyroneboi on August 29, 2010, 06:46:27 PM
It was always going to be a tough choice and a big name or two was always going to miss out. There is probably more pressure on Harrington than the other wildcards to perform in a few weeks but he is definitely more than capable of it. I probably would have taken Casey or Rose over Donald though.

Would agree on that,Rose has won 2 events this year and really should have won 3,think I would have picked him over Donald
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

venter

That was a brilliant performance by Molinari! I argued against his selection but you couldnt leave him out after that.Top class!!

Hope they do well in the cup!

Possible pairings

McDowell/ McIlroy
Poulter/Rose
Molinaris
Harry/Kaymer
Jiminez/Hanson
Donald/Westwood

sammymaguire

Rose will be doing well to partner anyone!!! He is NOT in the team!! Ross Fisher might not be too happy with you for leaving him out  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

muppet

Strange how the English oriented media had us believing that a Scotsman (with 2 Irish Vice-captains) would pick 3 English players as wildcards.
MWWSI 2017

venter

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 30, 2010, 04:32:38 PM
Rose will be doing well to partner anyone!!! He is NOT in the team!! Ross Fisher might not be too happy with you for leaving him out  ;)

I doubt Fisher will be reading Gaaboard, so i should be alright. Anyways thats the man i meant! Himself and poulter are fairly pally so they should go well as a pairing...

The molinaris will probably played 4somes with harry and partner playing the 4balls. Form on the day will probably lead to lads going well in the 4balls getting a shot at the 4somes

Geoff Tipps

US Wildcards:

Stewart Cink
Zach Johnson
Tiger Woods
Rickie Fowler

Fairly predictable. Maybe a bit of a surprise Kim was left out but his recent form is very poor.

stephenite

Predictable? Ricki Fowler was a fairly big shock I would have thought? First time a tour rookie has made the Ryder cup team

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: stephenite on September 08, 2010, 01:50:04 AM
Predictable? Ricki Fowler was a fairly big shock I would have thought? First time a tour rookie has made the Ryder cup team

Yes, "fairly" predictable - 3 major winners and exuberant rookie with a brilliant match play record albeit from the walker cup. He's had a decent season and I don't think there was an outstanding candidate that has been omitted.
You could make cases for Ryan Palmer, JB Holmes, Anthony Kim etc as much as you could make cases for leaving them out.

magpie seanie

Surely the yanks shouldn't have picked Tiger Woods after the worst season of his life and with such a terrible Ryder Cup record?  ;D