The Official Ryder Cup Thread,Celtic Manor Wales 2010

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 22, 2010, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 08, 2010, 10:20:26 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 08, 2010, 01:50:04 AM
Predictable? Ricki Fowler was a fairly big shock I would have thought? First time a tour rookie has made the Ryder cup team

Yes, "fairly" predictable - 3 major winners and exuberant rookie with a brilliant match play record albeit from the walker cup. He's had a decent season and I don't think there was an outstanding candidate that has been omitted.
You could make cases for Ryan Palmer, JB Holmes, Anthony Kim etc as much as you could make cases for leaving them out.

Delighted to see Fowler picked,he is a outstanding golfer.
Thankfully he will have to wear team USA gear instead of the usual bright orange Puma gear he wears!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on September 08, 2010, 04:33:31 PM
Predictable? Ricki Fowler was a fairly big shock I would have thought? First time a tour rookie has made the Ryder cup team

Yes, "fairly" predictable - 3 major winners and exuberant rookie with a brilliant match play record albeit from the walker cup. He's had a decent season and I don't think there was an outstanding candidate that has been omitted.
You could make cases for Ryan Palmer, JB Holmes, Anthony Kim etc as much as you could make cases for leaving them out.

Delighted to see Fowler picked,he is a outstanding golfer.
Thankfully he will have to wear team USA gear instead of the usual bright orange Puma gear he wears!

Yeah I think he's going to be a great golfer. Would love to see him against McIlroy on the Sunday.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Boycey on September 08, 2010, 04:52:44 PM
Any word on Westwoods fitness?? I've been wondering if theres a real chance he won't play and that Casey may get in instead of him

Rose is the next in so unless 2 pull out Casey will have to watch it on TV like the rest of us.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Boycey on September 08, 2010, 05:08:53 PM
How so??

Does the next in ranking/money order get in? I just thought Monty would get another pick. Still doesn't answer Westwood question.

If Westwood drops out the player comes from the list he has dropped out from which is the world points list.
As it stands:

Westwood
McIlroy
Kaymer
McDowell have qualified from this.

Next up is

E. Molinari (wildcard)
Donald (wildcard)
Poulter (qualified from Euro points list)
Harrington (wildcard)
Rose.

Casey is down in 12th on list. Don't understand how this list works seeing as Casey is in the wold top 10.

As for Westwood's fitness, I'm pretty sure Monty said he was 99% certain he'd be fit.

stephenite

I was convinced that Lucan GLover (whilst not 'outstanding') was going to be named but like yourself I'm glad it's Fowler, just thought it was a huge shock as it never entered my head that he'd figure in Pavin's thinking

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Boycey on September 08, 2010, 05:39:31 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 08, 2010, 05:24:48 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 08, 2010, 05:08:53 PM
How so??

Does the next in ranking/money order get in? I just thought Monty would get another pick. Still doesn't answer Westwood question.

If Westwood drops out the player comes from the list he has dropped out from which is the world points list.
As it stands:

Westwood
McIlroy
Kaymer
McDowell have qualified from this.

Next up is

E. Molinari (wildcard)
Donald (wildcard)
Poulter (qualified from Euro points list)
Harrington (wildcard)
Rose.

Casey is down in 12th on list. Don't understand how this list works seeing as Casey is in the wold top 10.

As for Westwood's fitness, I'm pretty sure Monty said he was 99% certain he'd be fit.

If Westwoods gonna be fit it makes no odds but........... I'm an argumentative git (ask my mrs!!!)

Is it fact or your guess that next player comes from World points list I've not seen it anywhere (although it does make sense). Secondly would there not be a case for Molinari getting upgraded to an automatic pick as he's next on the list thus freeing up a wildcard for Monty to pick who he wants??

Too much time on my hands, I know...

It's not my guess, it's a fact. I saw it on a number of websites the day Monty picked his wildcard.

Geoff Tipps

This morning's practise groups:

Graeme McDowell
Rory McIlroy
Edoardo Molinari
Francesco Molinari

Peter Hanson
Miguel Angel Jimenez
Martin Kaymer
Lee Westwood

Luke Donald
Ross Fisher
Padraig Harrington
Ian Poulter

Declan

I enjoy playing and watching golf but just cannot warm to this at all. Sky fest of hype. Am I wrong to think this faux team camradarie is BS?

NAG1

Hard to get on board with the SKY BS, i dont know about all the drum beating at the end of the day these guys are professionals and are really on there to boost their appeal to sponsors etc. Winning comes secondary to all the commmercial interests.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: NAG1 on September 28, 2010, 03:48:20 PM
Hard to get on board with the SKY BS, i dont know about all the drum beating at the end of the day these guys are professionals and are really on there to boost their appeal to sponsors etc. Winning comes secondary to all the commmercial interests.

I don't agree. They're sportsmen and nothing matters more than winning. If you've watched previous cups you can see how passionate they are about it. It doesn't matter what level of sport, winning is never secondary.

magpie seanie

The SKY 24/7 hype is annoying but it shouldn't cloud the fact that this is a great golf competition. When it was on other stations I'd be glued to it as much as possible and when things start on Friday, with all the hype done away with, it should be gripping stuff. The actual golf coverage on Sky is very good. I'm just avoiding shit like practice round reports and opening ceremonies (though the one last time was compelling as it proved beyond doubt what a complete tit Faldo is).

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2010, 04:28:04 PM
The SKY 24/7 hype is annoying but it shouldn't cloud the fact that this is a great golf competition. When it was on other stations I'd be glued to it as much as possible and when things start on Friday, with all the hype done away with, it should be gripping stuff. The actual golf coverage on Sky is very good. I'm just avoiding shit like practice round reports and opening ceremonies (though the one last time was compelling as it proved beyond doubt what a complete tit Faldo is).

Yeah was car crash stuff. Hopefully Monty will remember the names of his team and refrain from rambling on about his children  :)

Orangemac

You always get the impression with Monty he is going to crack at any moment ( bit like when he blew all those majors).

If Harrington shows any form and Westwood is fit Europe should win but hopefully by a small margin to make Sunday more exciting.

Are any of the terrestial channels showing highlights?

mackers

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on September 28, 2010, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 28, 2010, 03:48:20 PM

I don't agree. They're sportsmen and nothing matters more than winning. If you've watched previous cups you can see how passionate they are about it. It doesn't matter what level of sport, winning is never secondary.
Watched the programme last night about the 2002 Ryder Cup and you're absolutely right. For the week, those players are completely up for it.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.