The Official Ryder Cup Thread,Celtic Manor Wales 2010

Started by The Real Laoislad, August 22, 2010, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Its a balls of a situation that Monty finds himself in. Brass tacks - the qualification system is designed to try and get the top players to stick to the European Tour and if they don't then it becomes a farce. If you want a European team of players loyal to the European tour then its great. Personally I want the best team possible so we can stuff the yanks. For me that team would include Harrington every time.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on August 24, 2010, 06:26:52 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 24, 2010, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 24, 2010, 06:07:18 PM
Quote from: Boycey on August 24, 2010, 05:47:21 PM
Harrington, Casey and Rose are the 3 who should and must be picked..

Harrington has had a awful two years and hasn't the greatest Ryder Cup record though.
Why should they be picked if they aren't bothered turning up for the qualifying event,if they really wanted in do you not think they should be playing in Gleneagles?

I'd say the're the best 3 players not on the team simple as that. I suppose you could argue that they should play in Gleneagles and whoever doesn't get picked will have no cause for complaint.

3 biggest names. 3 best players.

Not the three players who are playing the best golf currently.

Rose has played well this year in fairness,Casey has in bits and pieces..
Harrington missed the cut in every major this year.....
Not the player he was when winning the two Brit Opens and the PGA,he has messed to much with his swing
He will most likely get picked and it would be great having a Irish golfer who plays under the tri colour on the team,but should he be picked though on his form this year ? ..... absolutely not IMO.
Molinari would be a better pick and I think playing with his brother would win more points than Harrington
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bogball XV

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 24, 2010, 11:09:51 PM
Its a balls of a situation that Monty finds himself in. Brass tacks - the qualification system is designed to try and get the top players to stick to the European Tour and if they don't then it becomes a farce. If you want a European team of players loyal to the European tour then its great. Personally I want the best team possible so we can stuff the yanks. For me that team would include Harrington every time.
I think like the players, I don't really care anymore.  Maybe it's overkill and they'd be better off playing it every 3 or 4 years, but it doesn't really appeal to me anymore, anyone else feeling like that nowadays?
It could be partly that the top players (with few exceptions) really couldn't care less about it, both europeans and yanks alike.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 24, 2010, 11:20:21 PM
I think like the players, I don't really care anymore.  Maybe it's overkill and they'd be better off playing it every 3 or 4 years, but it doesn't really appeal to me anymore, anyone else feeling like that nowadays?
It could be partly that the top players (with few exceptions) really couldn't care less about it, both europeans and yanks alike.

Still appeals to me. I can't wait for it.

thewobbler

No I think what happened is it was hyped up I to something it isn't.

Cheering for Europe is a daft thing when you think about it, so it's really more a case of cheering against the Americans. So if the Americans don't care, the whole thing is pointless.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on August 24, 2010, 11:24:54 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on August 24, 2010, 11:20:21 PM

Still appeals to me. I can't wait for it.

Me too,I can't wait.
If I wasn't getting married in a few weeks I'd go to it as well..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

Boycey - I think my point is mostly surrounding Harrington.

He has played really badly this year, since he changed his swing he lost more than a good swing - I think his confidence is down, and when golf gets in your head - well just look at Sergio - or if we are really going bananas - David Duval. Harrington isnt quite there yet - but his game is poor right now.

On top of that - he has never really set the Ryder cup alight.

Anyway - time will tell.

Bogball XV

Quote from: thewobbler on August 24, 2010, 11:27:05 PM

Cheering for Europe is a daft thing when you think about it, so it's really more a case of cheering against the Americans. So if the Americans don't care, the whole thing is pointless.
that might be it, but the europeans have shown by their attitude that many of them don't care either, if it weren't for the playing rights that being on the team conferred, there'd probably not be too many at all even turn up.

In saying that, when both sides were up for it and it really was us against them (or at least that's what we believed), it was great tv.  Maybe the other thing is that with all these world championships etc, it's not like when faldo and ballesteros et al took on the US teams in the eighties and nineties, now, we see them play on the same course all the time, maybe the mystique has gone?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 24, 2010, 11:38:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 24, 2010, 11:27:05 PM

that might be it, but the europeans have shown by their attitude that many of them don't care either, if it weren't for the playing rights that being on the team conferred, there'd probably not be too many at all even turn up.

In saying that, when both sides were up for it and it really was us against them (or at least that's what we believed), it was great tv.  Maybe the other thing is that with all these world championships etc, it's not like when faldo and ballesteros et al took on the US teams in the eighties and nineties, now, we see them play on the same course all the time, maybe the mystique has gone?

I don't agree to be honest,anyone that thinks the players don't care just look at Anthony Kim's reactions during the last Ryder Cup when he took Garcia apart.
I think most of the players do give a shite,especially the younger posse coming through.
Maybe iy is because we see these players every week in the top tournaments that it has lost a little mystique but you could say that about any high profile sport in the world that gets 24/7 coverage on TV
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

The Ryder Cup is now just a bit of craic. It used to mean something but the players themselves aren't too worried. Even Harrington decided not to play himself into contention over two weekends. Woods never gave a hoot. It's for the middle echelon of players to claim a wee bit of glory and stirs supposed patriotism in us 'Europeans'!!!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2010, 11:55:48 PM
The Ryder Cup is now just a bit of craic. It used to mean something but the players themselves aren't too worried. Even Harrington decided not to play himself into contention over two weekends. Woods never gave a hoot. It's for the middle echelon of players to claim a wee bit of glory and stirs supposed patriotism in us 'Europeans'!!!!
Out of interest who would you say is "middle echelon" out of this lot who have all but guaranteed their place in Wales

Lee Westwood
Rory Mcilroy
Graeme Mcdowell
Martin Kaymer
Ian Poulter
Ross Fisher
Francesco Molinari
Peter Hanson
Miguel Jimenez

I'd say none of the above need the Ryder Cup to claim a wee bit of glory as you put it.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Please. Just cos you took up golf last week....i'm still counting the major winners there....1......2....no...back to 1....

ONeill

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on August 25, 2010, 12:26:56 AM
Please. Just cos you took up golf last week....i'm still counting the major winners there....1......2....no...back to 1....

2 actually smart arse..
All top class golfers in their own right though.
You'll Never Walk Alone.