Banty - Should I stay or Should I go?

Started by Orangemac, August 11, 2010, 11:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on September 23, 2010, 09:05:45 PM
Its still a very valid criticism. The lads you mention in the main have had to force their way in to be bit part players in the last season (not really 2), when they had the potential (bar hanratty, hes atrocious) to be much more than that. Dont let games which monaghan were very comfortable in fool you, McArdle shouldnt have been there this year; nor should Gallogly. Looking through the team which fielded in the ulster championship this year, at least half are unlikely to be playing in 2/3 years time, thats not a lot of time to blood a new team.
No, but there's also the pressure to win an Ulster title with this team before it's too late. As for McArdle, he was caught out a few times, but he still played some pretty good football this year.
Monaghan doesn't have the conveyer belt of other counties to be able to replace a team with players of equal talent - sometimes you have to try and get as much out of a team as you can and then try and rebuild. There's also no point in bringing in new players unless they're actually better than the ones who are currently playing.

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 23, 2010, 09:13:56 PM
No, but there's also the pressure to win an Ulster title with this team before it's too late. As for McArdle, he was caught out a few times, but he still played some pretty good football this year.
Monaghan doesn't have the conveyer belt of other counties to be able to replace a team with players of equal talent - sometimes you have to try and get as much out of a team as you can and then try and rebuild. There's also no point in bringing in new players unless they're actually better than the ones who are currently playing.

Exactly the issue. The prevailing view is that its too late, and in all likelihood, more than 1 year too late. Of course you know what you're going to get with Banty - more of the same, with the same players. So, its either one last hurrah (again), or look to the future: that seems to be the choice for the appointers. So for the benefit of Monaghan football, they're trying to decide whether it is too late or not.

Jinxy

Plenty of rumours linking him to the Meath job.
TBH, I dunno if he's ready for a shot at the big-time yet.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Quote from: Jinxy on September 24, 2010, 06:02:48 PM
He probably wouldn't be too familiar with the old rugby.

haranguerer

Meath play total football compared to M'han over the last 6 years

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on September 25, 2010, 04:51:09 PM
Meath play total football compared to M'han over the last 6 years
You have some interest in Monaghan for a man who never has anything good to say about them.

JMohan

There's no rumours except ones that either he or someone close to him started. Will never happen.

Meath take an outsider? Not a chance.

When is this appointment due to be announced Maguire?

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on September 27, 2010, 12:08:29 PM
There's no rumours except ones that either he or someone close to him started. Will never happen.
We must bow to your superior knowledge.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9042132.stm
Or maybe not.

haranguerer

So someone close to him nominated him...it'll still never happen, well not unless the meath lads lose their senses altogether.

DuffleKing

Not a hope in hell of Banty getting the meath gig.

One misguided club does not a realistic managerial candidate make.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on September 29, 2010, 11:17:33 AM
So someone close to him nominated him...it'll still never happen, well not unless the meath lads lose their senses altogether.
Whether he will or won't be appointed, I was responding to the post dismissing the nomination as rumour.

Also, on what basis do you say that someone close to him made the nomination? Is that fact, or just your attempt at undermining the credibility of the nomination?
Is it not even remotely possible that someone saw him bring Monaghan from Division 4 to Division 1 and contest Ulster Finals for the first time in 20 years and thought that this just might be someone who can manage a team?

haranguerer

And I was quoting said post in the 'someone close to him' part. Surely you recognised that. The point of which was to point out that whether its someone close to him who is starting a rumour, or nominating him, its not going to have much impact on which manager is chosen.

I'm not knocking Bantys record for Monaghan. He is very passionate about the county and put a lot into it. I dont see him as a viable managerial candidate for anywhere else though. He'll assemble a strong backroom team, but he himself is very limited as a manager. He'll always be associated with , and go for jobs though, because he loves been in the papers. This particular association (with meath) strikes me as likely to be just an attempt to force Mhan co boards hand.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on September 29, 2010, 07:35:26 PM
And I was quoting said post in the 'someone close to him' part. Surely you recognised that. The point of which was to point out that whether its someone close to him who is starting a rumour, or nominating him, its not going to have much impact on which manager is chosen.
No, I didn't recognise the quote - it wasn't 'quoted' and it was on the previous page - I was just commenting on the way it came across.

Quote from: haranguerer on September 29, 2010, 07:35:26 PM
I'm not knocking Bantys record for Monaghan. He is very passionate about the county and put a lot into it. I dont see him as a viable managerial candidate for anywhere else though. He'll assemble a strong backroom team, but he himself is very limited as a manager. He'll always be associated with , and go for jobs though, because he loves been in the papers. This particular association (with meath) strikes me as likely to be just an attempt to force Mhan co boards hand.
Personally I hope it does force the CB's hand. Although to say he'd only go for a job to be in the papers is another sly dig - again appearing as an attempt to undermine credibility. It's a lot of time and effort to go to to read about yourself in the paper. I wonder why he goes to watch club games? Is he hoping the papps from the Northern Standard are going to be waiting on him? Or is it possible that - as you alluded to already - he is genuinely passionate about what he does?

JMohan

I'd guess Banty goes to club games for the same reason most people do, for the enjoyment and to watch football. In fairness most managers, potential managers and ex managers would go to games for the same reasons??

Banty, as haranguerer says is just a very limited manager. He was great for Monaghan, and he did a great job. (How good will be judged by how well the previous man did and how well the next man does as a comparison).

As someone said above, he must love being in the papers as he seems to be in the news all the time, denying reports or giving quotes. No other manager like Eamonn O'Brien, Mickey Harte or Paddy O'Rourke are in the papers much these days. I think that is what rubs people up the wrong way about him.

Was talking to a Monaghan guy at the weekend that told me as well that Banty hadn't any intention of taking the Monaghan job. So looks like he'll be on TV next year the way things are going.

Either way it's a pity the way things have worked out.

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on September 30, 2010, 08:16:51 AM
As someone said above, he must love being in the papers as he seems to be in the news all the time, denying reports or giving quotes. No other manager like Eamonn O'Brien, Mickey Harte or Paddy O'Rourke are in the papers much these days. I think that is what rubs people up the wrong way about him.
:D