Banty - Should I stay or Should I go?

Started by Orangemac, August 11, 2010, 11:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

" If I stay there will be trouble
  If I go there will be double"

Banty is due to decide next week whether he will stay for another year ( would this be his 7th?).

Will he have another crack at it or get out while the goings good?

Reasons for going

1) His reputation is still high, he has brought Monaghan from being in the bottom 10 teams in the country to consistently in the top 10.

2) This team aside from Walshe, Hughes, McManus has been on the go for more or less 10 years. Maybe this as far as he can take them.

Reasons for staying

1) He desperately would love an Ulster title and feels there is 1 last kick from this team.

2) Stubborness - Like PeteMcGrath and Sean Boylan he might decide to hang on too long.

If he goes he will be missed by all GAA supporters, definitely one of the most passionate managers around today, he would bleed blue if you cut him open.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Orangemac on August 11, 2010, 11:55:12 PM
" If I stay there will be trouble
  If I go there will be double"

Banty is due to decide next week whether he will stay for another year ( would this be his 7th?).

Will he have another crack at it or get out while the goings good?

Reasons for going

1) His reputation is still high, he has brought Monaghan from being in the bottom 10 teams in the country to consistently in the top 10.

2) This team aside from Walshe, Hughes, McManus has been on the go for more or less 10 years. Maybe this as far as he can take them.

Reasons for staying

1) He desperately would love an Ulster title and feels there is 1 last kick from this team.

2) Stubborness - Like PeteMcGrath and Sean Boylan he might decide to hang on too long.

If he goes he will be missed by all GAA supporters, definitely one of the most passionate managers around today, he would bleed blue if you cut him open.

will he fuck. more interested in getting his name and picture in the paper than anything else. what little time i had for him went completely over the o'gorman incident

Logan

Banty should be able to make his own mind up and left alone to do it.
He's earned the right to decide how he wants to do it after the past 6 years dragging Monaghan from hardly ran's to competing in the last 16 sometimes higher.

Orangemac, the only difference between McGrath, Boylan and himself is obvious - they achieved their goal, Banty is still hungry for the promised land (USFC) and fair play to him for his work so far.

He'll stay for one more year.

thewanderer

banty to take the monaghan job for 3 years. no surprise there but from monaghans point of view he would have been better moving on and let someone else take charge. more interested in his own ego and profile. surely there are better men in monaghan for the job with the help of grimley etc.

Main Street

It is a moot point whether Boylan stayed on a year longer than he should have, considering his 23 years in charge. Possibly Sean should not have retired so early :), isn't this the first year that Meath have won something since he stood down. 
The CB have given Banty 3 years. Time enough for Banty to go get the jimmy bar out on that door.

beer baron

Pack your bags Banty and join your lovely Breffni neighbours,good lad!

Maguire01

Anyone else hear rumours that tonight's meeting didn't go to plan?

JMohan

Not according to this ...
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/roe-ponders-his-laois-future-2299780.html

Roe ponders his Laois future

By Colm Keys
Tuesday August 17 2010

Pat Roe will consider his position as Laois U-21 manager in the wake of Justin McNulty's appointment last night as senior manager.

Roe had pitched for the job in recent weeks and was one of three names which had been officially nominated.

But for the third time he has been frozen out having missed out on the position in 2006, when Liam Kearns was appointed, and again two years ago when Sean Dempsey took the reins.

However, Roe isn't bitter about the decision to approve McNulty, who has managed club teams successfully in Cavan and Dublin.

"I'm disappointed but that's life," he said. "I wish Justin well. All that matters to me is that Laois prosper.

"I would have loved the job but it's not to be. Whether I'll be U-21 manager next year, that's something I'll have to consider but it's something the Laois Board will consider too," added Roe, who has managed in Wexford, Carlow and Offaly.

Mick O'Dwyer and Oliver Phelan had also been nominated, but in making contact with Darragh O Se at an early stage there was a clear desire by Laois officials to pursue a younger candidate from another county, and in the end they opted for McNulty.

McNulty has worked with Paddy O'Rourke in Armagh for the last year and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he could yet approach Roe to be a selector.

Meanwhile, Seamus McEnaney was confirmed as Monaghan manager for the next three years at a county board meeting last night.

McEnaney had sought a three-year term from the board executive and got it last week. It is expected that he will retain the same back-room team that includes Paul Grimley and Marty McElkennon.

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent

Tubberman

According to Newstalk, the delegates chose to seek nominations for the job, so Banty hasn't been confirmed yet anyway....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Barney

Typical lazy journalism.

The hardcopy of the paper has the Newstalk story. I guess Keyes presumed based on last weeks statements that Banty was set to stay on.

Spells trouble for Monaghan now. Either Banty steps down because of this situation. Or maybe even the players will get ancy.

thebandit

Its true alright, the vote went 29 to 19 to open it up to nominations.

If the people of Monaghan want the possibility of division 3 football in years to come, then they've just voted for it.

Logan

Ha ha .... very lazy work by Key's!!!

That's a big surprise - especially the margin of voting too.

I wonder why that is?
Is it because he wanted 3 years? or the 'poor' results?
Is it anything to do with the 'expenditure' on the backroom team? or the fact that the main selectors and trainers are not Monaghan based? Or is it because someone has a better candidate out there?

What's the reasoning?

The next question will be - What will Banty do? I guess he'll be a bit offended at that - he should be.
Will he withdraw his name?

Who else will run against him?
Pete McGrath?
Is Big Joe an option there?

Logan

Quote from: thebandit on August 17, 2010, 08:31:45 AM
Its true alright, the vote went 29 to 19 to open it up to nominations.

If the people of Monaghan want the possibility of division 3 football in years to come, then they've just voted for it.

Don't you think that's a bit premature?
Wait and see who you get.

thewanderer

will big joe throw his hat in the ring just to spite grimley? cant see monaghan goin outside the county but u never know. are there any other managerial candidates in the county. heard costs might be the issue for bantys reinstatement.

haranguerer

I was surprised he wanted to stay on, think hes done as much (and more) as he can with that team.

Once he did decide to stay on, he deserved at the very least the loyalty of the delegates. I can only assume they feel he hasn't got the best out of whats available to him, which is crazy imo...