Started by lilpaulie85, July 27, 2010, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who will be in the final

kk + wat
kk + tip
cork +wat
cork + tip

GAA_Punter

Cork v Kilkenny – All Hurling Semi-Final – Preview, Team News & Live Scores – Sunday 8th August 3:30pm

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/08/03/cork-v-kilkenny-all-hurling-semi-final-preview-team-news-live-scores-sunday-8th-august-330pm/

Reillers

The team is,

1. Donal Og Cusack
(Cloyne)

2. Shane O'Neill 3. Eoin Cadogan 4. Brian Murphy
(Bishopstown) (Douglas) (Bride Rovers)

5. John Gardiner 6. Ronan Curran 7. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín
(Na Piarsaigh) (St. Finbarrs) (Na Piarsaigh)

8. Tom Kenny 9. Cathal Naughton
(Grenagh) (Newtownshandrum)

10. Michael Cussen 11. Kieran Murphy 12. Niall McCarthy
(Sars) (Sars - Capt) (Carrigtwohill)

13. Pat Horgan 14. Aisake Ó hAilpín 15. Ben O'Connor
(Glen Rovers) (Na Piarsaigh) (Newtownshandrum)

16. Martin Coleman (Ballinhassig)
17. Shane Murphy (Erins Own)
18. Ray Ryan (Sarsfields)
19. William Egan (Kilbrin)
20. Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
21. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
22. Graham Callanan (Glen Rovers)
23. Paudie O'Sullivan (Cloyne)
24. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
25. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
26. Eoin Dillon (Milford)
27. Pa Cronin (Bishopstown)
28. Michael Walsh (Kildorrery)
29. Mark O Sullivan (Dripsey)
30. Luke O'Farrell (Midleton)

Very harsh on Paudi, but he'll be one to spring from the bench. Jerry only fit enough to start from the bench, another one you'd love to have to throw in to the game.
Not sure this will be the team that starts, but we'll have to see.

dowling

Have to say think Jerry OConnor will be a big blow to Cork. Even if he comes on as a sub don't think he'll be up to it and probably hasn't been himself all year. Still a great team of players however distasteful some of them are as individuals but if they beat the cats it will be the shock of the year. To be honest I'd drop Niall McCarthy and move Naughton into half forward.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on August 06, 2010, 12:05:20 AM
Have to say think Jerry OConnor will be a big blow to Cork. Even if he comes on as a sub don't think he'll be up to it and probably hasn't been himself all year. Still a great team of players however distasteful some of them are as individuals but if they beat the cats it will be the shock of the year. To be honest I'd drop Niall McCarthy and move Naughton into half forward.

Jerry has been playing injured all season, to an extent, Niall McCarthy has done well lately, very well. The best place for Naughton is midfield, it's his best position, and he'll run at the KK defence and wont be matched for pace. Would be a real shock if they moved him up the pitch, wouldn't surprise me though.

dowling

And that has shown up in Jerry's games. As for Naughton, he's very acurate and will take scores. Why not move him closer and enhance that and allow to the runs you refer to potentially set up goals. However the obvious man to feed off runs would be Jerry but I'm sure the other forwards would be dangerous. To me Naughton is more suited to the team at wing forward and more dangerous. Of course he can score from midfield but there seems to be more options for Cork there. Niall Mcarthy has had good games? Against Antrim? And overcarrying to score a goal! One point in two Waterford matches. Come on Reillers.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on August 06, 2010, 01:26:23 AM
And that has shown up in Jerry's games. As for Naughton, he's very acurate and will take scores. Why not move him closer and enhance that and allow to the runs you refer to potentially set up goals. However the obvious man to feed off runs would be Jerry but I'm sure the other forwards would be dangerous. To me Naughton is more suited to the team at wing forward and more dangerous. Of course he can score from midfield but there seems to be more options for Cork there. Niall Mcarthy has had good games? Against Antrim? And overcarrying to score a goal! One point in two Waterford matches. Come on Reillers.

He has totally come into his game though in midfield, and he doesn't always take his chances, really cost us against Waterford, he's improved out of sight, but still has a long way to go, his legs still go 10 times faster than his brain. Last day out he was looking for anyone to pass to so they could shoot, instead of taking his chances, before he was taking too many chances himself, he needs to be sat down and thought. Naughton wont be matched for pace. Hopefully he will be used well for the KK game, whether or not that's in the mid or up front.

AZOffaly

Did anyone see the indo today? Talk about making a story out of nothing. The headline was 'Ungracious Donal Óg gets both barrells from Kilkenny'.

The opening paragraph read... 'CORK goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack was hit with a double-barrelled assault from Kilkenny last night ahead of next Sunday's grudge All-Ireland SHC semi-final.'

I was thinking, jaysus, that's not like them taking potshots before the game. So I went looking at quotes from Cody, Shefflin, Hickey, Walsh, anyone.

Nope.

This is what it was.

The actual 'attack' from 'Kilkenny' was

"And as thrown-in at Croke Park approaches, Kilkenny have responded through former GAA president Nickey Brennan and former attacking star Eddie Keher.

Brennan described Cusack's comments about Kilkenny as "ungracious" and "totally unnecessary" while Keher claimed that he would not touch the 'keeper's book "with a forty foot pole."

f**king pathetic is what the independent is.

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2010, 11:17:36 AM
Did anyone see the indo today? Talk about making a story out of nothing. The headline was 'Ungracious Donal Óg gets both barrells from Kilkenny'.

The opening paragraph read... 'CORK goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack was hit with a double-barrelled assault from Kilkenny last night ahead of next Sunday's grudge All-Ireland SHC semi-final.'

I was thinking, jaysus, that's not like them taking potshots before the game. So I went looking at quotes from Cody, Shefflin, Hickey, Walsh, anyone.

Nope.

This is what it was.

"And as thrown-in at Croke Park approaches, Kilkenny have responded through former GAA president Nickey Brennan and former attacking star Eddie Keher.

Brennan described Cusack's comments about Kilkenny as "ungracious" and "totally unnecessary" while Keher claimed that he would not touch the 'keeper's book "with a forty foot pole."

I know I was expecting all sorts, to be fair though, Cork wont be short on motivation going into the game. Tensions rising though.

imtommygunn

Naughton needs room to move though and he'll not get that against KK.

To be honest I think he'll really struggle on sunday.I would see him as a luxury player. Definitely improving and on his day can destroy teams given the space.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 06, 2010, 11:44:55 AM
Naughton needs room to move though and he'll not get that against KK.

To be honest I think he'll really struggle on sunday.I would see him as a luxury player. Definitely improving and on his day can destroy teams given the space.

Just let him run and we'll see what happens. You say he wont get any room, and he probably wont, but that means he'll either be crowded out..and it'd take a few to stop him..which leaves other players free or he'll be constantly fouled..whether Gavin will blow up for those frees is another question, but that's nothing we can control. But it should lead to frees. We can use Naughton..or there is the chance that he just out runs them and sets up scores or takes them himself. No one has the pace on the Kilkenny team to catch him.
He really has improved, amazing to think he's been around for so long, but he's still very young.

Word out of the KK camp is that Hogan/Kavanagh have broken a finger, some say Hogan, other say Kavanagh, whether that's true or not, or just a distraction for the Cork team I don't know, but word is he broke it in training last night and will miss the game. I wouldn't take it as gospel though, I really doubt it. No word yet on the KK team yet.

dowling

To be honest Naughton can do more than run. At midfield though he tends to run more across the pitch whereas around half forward it's more direct and that's when he's more of a threat for contributing to a goal threat on top of taking points.
On the journalists in general. Sure they all try to mix it to create stories, maybe ringing up some in the 'other camp' and and asking for a response to something the 'other crowd' didn't actually say.
Taking the point of the media should the GAA consider setting up it's own TV station? Or an online station? Is it feasible and financially viable?
Maybe that's for another thread though.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on August 06, 2010, 11:30:38 AM

Nope.

This is what it was.

I know I was expecting all sorts, to be fair though, Cork wont be short on motivation going into the game. Tensions rising though.

Keep an eye on Cadogan.  ;)

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on August 06, 2010, 12:50:25 PM
To be honest Naughton can do more than run. At midfield though he tends to run more across the pitch whereas around half forward it's more direct and that's when he's more of a threat for contributing to a goal threat on top of taking points.
On the journalists in general. Sure they all try to mix it to create stories, maybe ringing up some in the 'other camp' and and asking for a response to something the 'other crowd' didn't actually say.
Taking the point of the media should the GAA consider setting up it's own TV station? Or an online station? Is it feasible and financially viable?
Maybe that's for another thread though.

Well obviously the lad can do more than run, but my point is that an advantage he holds over well most players I can think of is his speed. He's been tried in both positions and he's best used and plays better in the midfield. That's why he's there now. He's been tried as a forward and been wasted in there.
Journos will always be journos. The Media will always make up stories, that's what they do and as long as there's an interest there they'll continue to do what they do. A GAA station..now that'd be interesting.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2010, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: Reillers on August 06, 2010, 11:30:38 AM

Nope.

This is what it was.

Keep an eye on Cadogan.  ;)

Ya, the poor lads been targeted enough this year.  ;)