Limerick V Cork

Started by Zulu, July 20, 2010, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2010, 10:39:21 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 10:02:41 PM
Well that's a pretty ignorant post so you're obviously speaking from experience. They play Cork or Kerry when they are not at their sharpest, they played the league just gone in Division 4 and have a terrible qualifier record yet one is suppose to believe they are a good side, it might be ignorant but it's based on fact, you don't win games on paper. Dublin would beat them easliy as would most decent sides. By the way Galvin was dominated by Earley in Limerick and any time they have met in league but then again you have to have been there at those as they weren't televised so I'm actually basing my opinions on my own naked eye, ignorant as it might be  ::)

Yep this the same Kildare team thumped by Louth. The same Dublin team that were thumped by Meath- who lost to Louth? Neither Kildare or Dublin are very good sides despite what their supporters think. In the Gaelic grounds Limerick could do anybody. If they can get that close to the two best side sin the country then are there to be respected. League- yeah the league. This is championship.

And what have limerick done in the championship to merit such a billing?

SuperDooperCooper

That is a very strong Cork team; for once that is the team I would pick as well (Murphy & Kerrigan aside as they are returning from injury).
Cork always had a tendency to pick strange teams (i.e. Noel O'Leary & Donnacha O'Connor) but Counihan may be putting out his strongest team tomorrow.
When Murphy comes in for Walsh they will be the team to beat in this year's championship, unless you are from Kerry in which case they will be the team to beat again....
I always had time for Gould but they threw him in too soon and he suffered for it, I would rate him far higher than Donnacha O'Connor but at 24 he needs to be consistently making the starting 15 now.
Miskella, Shields and Kissane is a serious half back line while O'Neill, Sheehan & Goulding represents the best full forward line left in the championship and Kerrigan has still to come in as well.
Their full back line can be got at though and while their forward are all good; they have no marquee forward like Gooch, O'Neill or Brogan that will win a match on their own.
Cork will win by 7/8 points as they will not gift Limerick a lifeline like we did in the Munster final. Then I will be praying to whatever god will listen that we don't draw them in the QF minus Galvin and Tomas...

The Konica

Cork have tough, hard settled team and I think if they are smart about it they'll use the back door to get as far as the All Ireland and if they avoid Tyrone and get Kerry in the Final I think they've the best possible chance to win.

Limerick will run them close, strong Midfield, but might run out of puff in the second half, Good forwards and tight backs, i think if the attitude is right they'll bring it to a photo finish.

The only worry for Cork is that if they don't come with all heads screwed on right and are anyway lazy, they'll find themselves in the changing room at half time 6 points and a man down with a fight on their hands.

If Counihan is on his game though and boys are fighting for places expect a Cork win by 3 or 4 points

Croí na hÉireann

Expect Cork to win this with a bit to spare, they're starting to put out their full team in their right positions now. Murphy & Kerrigan at half forward will set them up for anyone. They need the 2 corner forwards to start pulling their weight though, was left up to Sheenan in the ff line the last day. They should be hoping and praying to draw Kerry in the quarters, they won't get a better opportunity to beat them in Croker...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Zulu

QuoteCork have tough, hard settled team and I think if they are smart about it they'll use the back door to get as far as the All Ireland and if they avoid Tyrone and get Kerry in the Final I think they've the best possible chance to win.

I tend to look at it the other way. I reckon Cork would definitely beat Tyrone but only probably beat Kerry, IMO they are better than both but seem to have a hang up about Kerry. I couldn't see Tyrone beat Cork but with O'Sullivan, Cooper, Donaghy and Galvin Kerry have the firepower to beat Cork if they aren't at their best.

QuoteAnd what have limerick done in the championship to merit such a billing?

They've ran both Kerry and Cork closer than any other team bar Tyrone. It is all good and well saying Cork or Kerry wouldn't be taking Munster seriously but they have played them many times, including finals and have never been far away. Going close once or twice could be down to luck or the opposition having other things on their mind (i.e. an AI). But no team wants to lose a provincial final and both Cork and Kerry know Limerick are decent so I think it is fair to say Limerick have put two of the best teams in Ireland to the pins of thier collars in important games that Cork and Kerry would have been well primed for.

They also lost to Kildare and Meath by narrow margins and Meath reached two AI semi finals and are current Leinster champions, while Kildare just hammered Derry in Derry and pushed Tyrone all the way in last years QF's. To me that marks Limerick out as a serious championship team, and this year they have their strongest ever panel and team. They are still a bit limited in front of the posts but 1-9 they are as good as there is in the country.

Tatler Jack

Cork have a large panel of good strong players. Yet they lack something and that something was the reason they were unable to convert possession in the second half of last years AI into a winning score and the reason why they failed to beat Kerry in 2 attempts this year despite looking the better team. Tomorrow's game is a test for them becasue they alaways have trouble with Limerick and if Limerick keep it close into the second half then it will test Cork's confidence. I was at both Kerry games and I saw no improvements this year and when pressure comes on Cork resort to old failed habits i.e. passing accross the field or shooting from hopeless positions.

I am going to the game today and will not be at all surprised if Limerick win. Im still not convinced that Cork are any better this year than the past few years. They still need loads of possession to put up a winning score and if they struggle at midfield today they could be in trouble.

The Konica

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2010, 05:04:52 PM
QuoteCork have tough, hard settled team and I think if they are smart about it they'll use the back door to get as far as the All Ireland and if they avoid Tyrone and get Kerry in the Final I think they've the best possible chance to win.

I tend to look at it the other way. I reckon Cork would definitely beat Tyrone but only probably beat Kerry, IMO they are better than both but seem to have a hang up about Kerry. I couldn't see Tyrone beat Cork but with O'Sullivan, Cooper, Donaghy and Galvin Kerry have the firepower to beat Cork if they aren't at their best.

QuoteAnd what have limerick done in the championship to merit such a billing?

They've ran both Kerry and Cork closer than any other team bar Tyrone. It is all good and well saying Cork or Kerry wouldn't be taking Munster seriously but they have played them many times, including finals and have never been far away. Going close once or twice could be down to luck or the opposition having other things on their mind (i.e. an AI). But no team wants to lose a provincial final and both Cork and Kerry know Limerick are decent so I think it is fair to say Limerick have put two of the best teams in Ireland to the pins of thier collars in important games that Cork and Kerry would have been well primed for.

They also lost to Kildare and Meath by narrow margins and Meath reached two AI semi finals and are current Leinster champions, while Kildare just hammered Derry in Derry and pushed Tyrone all the way in last years QF's. To me that marks Limerick out as a serious championship team, and this year they have their strongest ever panel and team. They are still a bit limited in front of the posts but 1-9 they are as good as there is in the country.

No one can say with certainty that Cork would beat Tyrone Zulu this year.

I know why some would think so and I would agree - based on last years games only - but a lot has happened since.

Two main reasons ....

I'm yet to be assured Cork have improved.
They MAY well have, but looking at the Kerry team that beat them, which I think is weaker than last year, you'd have to ask the question. Secondly, unless they get a good test (and let's be honest Cavan and Wexford is no preparation for Tyrone) soon it will be a big step up to play Tyrone.

Secondly, Tyrone don't often do mistakes twice. I think they'll adopt a completely different approach to playing Cork this year if they meet and I think Cork would struggle. Also the All Ireland showed Tyrone and others how to play Cork. IMO Tyrone were already showing signs of fatigue and overtraining before they reached Croke Park last year and I think on the day Cork had everything going for them. That's not taking away from Cork - I think Cork would have won anyway and won very well and rightly so on the day.

Perhaps we'll be blessed with that game shortly!

Zulu

QuoteNo one can say with certainty that Cork would beat Tyrone Zulu this year.

Oh I agree 100%, but IMO Cork will beat Tyrone if they meet, of course I could be wrong and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tyrone won as they are a proven team. I just feel Cork may have Tyrone's number in the same way Tyrone seem to have Kerry's.

QuoteI'm yet to be assured Cork have improved.
They MAY well have, but looking at the Kerry team that beat them, which I think is weaker than last year, you'd have to ask the question.

True, TJ made the same point in the previous post and I see where you are coming from but I do think they have improved and I think the qualifiers is the best thing that could have happened to Cork. The more games they get the better they will be IMO.

QuotePerhaps we'll be blessed with that game shortly!

I'd love to see it at the semi or AI final stage,keep them apart for one more round!

new devil

magickingdom

Quote from: new devil on July 24, 2010, 04:44:00 PM
Any links lads?

game is on at 7 and is on rte.

limerick are a ridiculous 5/1 today. cork will have to work to win this but id expect they'll survive for another week anyway. a limerick win would be greeted with unbridled joy in kerry

joemamas

Cork have three changes, half back, midfield, half forward.

RealSpiritof98

Cant get this on RTE online is it because im in the north or do i have to register for it

never kickt a ball

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 24, 2010, 07:01:27 PM
Cant get this on RTE online is it because im in the north or do i have to register for it

If you have Sky Channell 433

Carmen Stateside

GalwayBayBoy

How the feck was that a free out against Galvin? Ridiculous.