Limerick V Cork

Started by Zulu, July 20, 2010, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Casey

Cork woul have been happier avoiding Limerick if only because they've had two close calls in the last two Munster championships from the Treaty men.

Head has to say that the Rebels will do it but I have a niggly feeling that Limerick might surprise. When Kerry need to in the Munster final they went for the jugular and while Limerick fought back there was ultimatley too much for them to do. Cork would do well to remember that.

Cork, with all due respect to Cavan and Wexford, have faced tame challenges so far in the qualifiers but showed themselve content to play the ball over and back without crossing the 40 rather than going for goal for long periods against Wexford. While I acknowledge that conditions were poor (for both matches) Cork, with the game in the palm of their hand, went around 20 minutes without scoring in the second half on Sunday. This inability to close the deal may cost them. I didn't see Tyrone pulling up on Sunday when the game was well won.
KERRY 3:7

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 10:02:41 PM
Well that's a pretty ignorant post so you're obviously speaking from experience. They play Cork or Kerry when they are not at their sharpest, they played the league just gone in Division 4 and have a terrible qualifier record yet one is suppose to believe they are a good side, it might be ignorant but it's based on fact, you don't win games on paper. Dublin would beat them easliy as would most decent sides. By the way Galvin was dominated by Earley in Limerick and any time they have met in league but then again you have to have been there at those as they weren't televised so I'm actually basing my opinions on my own naked eye, ignorant as it might be  ::)

Yep this the same Kildare team thumped by Louth. The same Dublin team that were thumped by Meath- who lost to Louth? Neither Kildare or Dublin are very good sides despite what their supporters think. In the Gaelic grounds Limerick could do anybody. If they can get that close to the two best side sin the country then are there to be respected. League- yeah the league. This is championship.

Kerry Mike

QuoteWhen Kerry need to in the Munster final they went for the jugular

Frank: I think it was Derek Kavanagh and Brian Dooher amounst others who have used and gotten with such tactics.

I am hoping for a Limerick win but cant see it and anyway wouldn't it be nice to get another rattle off the langers in Croke Park again ? 

Cadagon v Galvin - round III anyone ?
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Dinny Breen

I don't think Kildare are a very good side, I just believe they are like nearly all the last 12 better than Limerick but actually do rate Dublin, I'm just not bi-polar like you. In the last three years Limerick have no championship record bar wins over Waterford, Clare, Tipp and a disillusioned Meath and both Kildare and Louth won in the Gaelic Grounds in the championship, not exactly a fortress. Anyway if they beat Cork which I doubt that then maybe MY opinion might change but it certainly won't because you tell me they are a good side.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 11:31:58 PM
I don't think Kildare are a very good side, I just believe they are like nearly all the last 12 better than Limerick but actually do rate Dublin, I'm just not bi-polar like you. In the last three years Limerick have no championship record bar wins over Waterford, Clare, Tipp and a disillusioned Meath and both Kildare and Louth won in the Gaelic Grounds in the championship, not exactly a fortress. Anyway if they beat Cork which I doubt that then maybe MY opinion might change but it certainly won't because you tell me they are a good side.

Dinny they are at the same level as the other Tier 2 sides. Thats what I'm saying. We've established any tier 2 side can beat each other months ago. The way you're talking they are at clare's level.

Dinny Breen

Maybe but you talk as if their a top 3 side, they do have the talent to probably beat most other counties on any given Sunday but as a team they haven't delivered and until they do I just can't rate them.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 11:44:55 PM
Maybe but you talk as if their a top 3 side, they do have the talent to probably beat most other counties on any given Sunday but as a team they haven't delivered and until they do I just can't rate them.

Well who have Kildare delivered against recently?

Kerry Mike

Bookies have Limerick @ 5:1 , even some of the Cork players may be tempted on that :P
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Dinny Breen

Kildare have won 10 Championship games in 3 years, Limerick have won 5 (only Meath were in a Division above D4)

And when was the last time Limerick went to Derry and Celtic Park and gave the home side a drubbing, regardless of how poor Derry were they were favourites for that game and Kildare were emphatic if that's not delivering in Championship terms well then we live in different planets and your expectations are in la la land.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2010, 11:52:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 11:44:55 PM

Well who have Kildare delivered against recently?

Most Kildare people are fully aware of our limitations. We're well capable of giving anyone a decent rattle on our day but at the same time we are well capable of losing to teams who are perceived to be below us. Improvements have been made under McGeeney despite not landing a Leinster that we should be capable of. We're unbeaten in the qualifiers under the current management which is a great achievement considering our previous record in the backdoor. Under Micko, Nolan & Crofton we only beat Donegal, Cavan and Roscommon in the seven years up to 2008 when McGeeney took over.

The truth is at the moment there are about ten teams who are at a very similar level. Kerry & Tyrone are top of the pile with Cork only slightly behind (can't rate them as highly until they actually win an All-Ireland). The likes of Monaghan, Dublin, Meath, Limerick, Kildare, Louth & Down are all at a similar enough level and are each capable of beating each other.

Limerick have probably gone closest against Kerry and Cork over the past few years but other teams have pushed the big three too. Monaghan have ran Kerry close in '07 and '08. Meath beat Tyrone in '07. Dublin were a kick of a ball away from Kerry in '07. Down beat Tyrone in Ulster in '08 and Kildare gave Cork and Tyrone their fill of it in quarter finals over the last two years.

Until Limerick reach a quarter final people are always going to doubt their credentials. They have failed in the qualifiers the last two years against Kildare and Meath. I think it's unfortunate they drew Cork this year because I think Mickey Ned has them primed as well as they've ever been. The hurling situation seems to have benefitted them with the likes of Lucey able to fully commit to the football. I'd expect Cork to just scrape home but it wouldn't surprise me if this game was the closest of the weekend's four qualifiers.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Good Post DH,

Anyhow, this thread should be about Limerick and Cork and not me and Indiana shite talking  :P
#newbridgeornowhere

Onlooker

I would not write off Limerick's chances on Saturday night.  Cork are clear favourites, but Limerick will give them plenty of it.  The other 4 Munster counties always feel that they have better prospects against Cork than against Kerry.  This applies to all grades.  It won't be a major shock if Limerick win this one.  The problems with the hurlers have helped them with 3 dual players now playing football only, and hopefully their big breakthrough will come this week.  The game being in the Gaelic Grounds could be a big factor.

Zulu

The Cork Senior Football V Limerick -

1. Alan Quirke
2. Ray Carey     
3. Michael Shields
4.Jamie O'Sullivan                             
5. John Miskella
6. Graham Canty           
7. Paudie Kissane     
8. Alan O'Connor       
9. Aidan Walsh
10. Fintan Goold     
11. Pearse O'Neill           
12. Patrick Kelly     
13. Daniel Goulding           
14. Ciaran Sheehan           
15. Colm O'Neill     

Jinxy

I'd worry a bit that Limerick are a one game a year team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2010, 12:36:41 PM
I'd worry a bit that Limerick are a one game a year team.
...that would be an improvement for some of us !!!
:-\