Limerick V Cork

Started by Zulu, July 20, 2010, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I'll probably have to keep this thread on page one myself but this is the tie of the round by some distance in my view. Limerick would have beaten any of the other teams the could have drawn and Cork would have been certs against anyone bar Limerick. However, Cork even in the GG's will probably be a bridge too far for this criminally underrated team. From 1-9 Limerick are as good as any in the country and although they have improved in the forward line they still don't have enough class forwards to beat the best. In saying that Limerick have a better midfield and have the size and strength to match Cork, I'd expect the biggest Limerick crowd ever at a qualifier this Saturday and the sense of injustice they will feel about the past two or three years may propel them to a major shock.

I'm gutted that these teams were drawn together as I'd love to see Limerick play a big match in CP and I'd like to see Cork win the AI. I'd probably prefer to see Limerick win except for the fact it would hand the AI to Kerry or Tyrone and as a neutral I'd like to see a new winner this year. So heart is leaning towards Limerick and the head towards Cork.

Cork it is so by 2-3 points.

The Konica

This should be close and I wouldn't be surprised at an upset if there was some untold drama.
But Cork should be too strong.
Then on the other hand it might not be the first time Cork took their eye off the ball with an underdog. It would be great if Limerick won too as I think they'd give any of the other teams serious trouble.

For example I wouldn't bet against them beating Kildare, Sligo, Monaghan, Louth or Dublin if they got past Cork.

I'd agree Zulu, 2,3 or maybe 4 points if Cork get a stretch at the end, perhaps even a draw after 70.

Tyrone Dreamer

Certainly the game with the highest ratest teams left in the qualifiers. If Limerick can lift themselves and produce a performance like they have in recent years in Munster v Kerry/Cork then they have a a chance. It will be interesting to see if they play with the same fight. Cork have to be favourites but wouldn't be the biggest shock ever if Limerick won it.

Zulu

Limerick will have no hang ups about playing Cork, though I'd say the players were a small bit disappointed to get Cork as they have played them so many times before and they know they'll be tough to beat. Had they drawn Dublin for example, they would have relished the big day out in CP against a team they know they could beat. That would be my biggest fear for Limerick, they might find it tough to shake off the Munster final hang over now that they are drawn against another Munster team. Likewise, Cork will have been disappointed with the draw as they'd have liked a game against any of the other teams for the novelty factor and the increased likelihood of a CP game.

I think it's a game neither team wanted but Cork are getting some of their big names back and some of the young guns (Sheehan in particular) are really finding their feet, so they should have enough. If it was in Cork, they might have won it with a bit to spare but the fact it is on in the GG should ensure Limerick perform. They sussed Cork's game plan last year and will have plenty of games to look at this week again so that will be an advantage but it's hard to see them winning enough of the individual match ups.

The Konica

I think alot of people are disappointed to see Limerick draw Cork. They must be a bit sick of each other too.

Maguire01

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 20, 2010, 06:28:31 PM
Certainly the game with the highest ratest teams left in the qualifiers.
Well the highest reated team anyway.

Limerick are a decent side, but I can't see how they'd be rated higher than Monaghan, even with Sunday's no-show in Clones. All Limerick have done (after playing in Division 4) is beat Waterford (any of the teams left in the race should be able to manage this) and lose to Kerry (again, we've all done that).

Dinny Breen

Are they even decent? Only notable win was against Meath in 2008 and even then they went out to Kildare at home in the next round, the year before I think Louth knocked them out and Meath last year. Playing well and losing against two teams with 2 eyes on September does not make a highly rated side. Personally I'd rate all the remaining teams except Roscommon higher.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Konica

Ah, they're a good side Dinny. Strong midfield, some decent scoring forwards and good runners like Kelly, physical and usually sticky damn defenders over the past 10 years.
I'd certainly not like to be playing them this late in the year.

lynchbhoy

Limerick have good players. Their biggest problem is that they dont have the belief.
They may raise their game v kerry or cork, but would possibly find it harder against someone they dont have a local pathalogical hate for - like kildare, monaghan or louth etc (I'd expect theyd have no prob raising their game for Dublin either !)

Limerick will be fired up. Its a local derby for them and they wont fear Crok the way a lot of other counties do.
The crux here will be how cork are mentally and as a team.
They are not destroying all teams but have been able to test themselves against a poor cavan side and a big, physically tough and effective akward opponent in Wexford. Cork should have benefited and learned a bit from that.
Cork need to start finding their feet, fluency, breaking ball, defensive steel and fast ball into the forwards- with the forwards starting to score and not waste chances.
This will show us if Cork are on the right road towards an All Ireland.
This years qualifiers could be the making of this team as they had to deconstruct themselves as what they were doing in the past few years was never going to be good enough to win the AI.

They have enough to beat Limerick, the test will be to guard against complacency and to be able to remain unflustered like Tyrone do when a team get a purple patch and then drive on once more to win.
If Cork are on the right road it could be 5-7 points or prob more.
A slight victory wouldnt be a great sign as they dont have much time left.

The Konica

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 20, 2010, 08:00:39 PM
If Cork are on the right road it could be 5-7 points or prob more.
A slight victory wouldnt be a great sign as they dont have much time left.

Well the only thing is it's a local derby, and they know each other so well, so I think they'd be happy to scrape by a few

Jinxy

If Ian Ryan can give Ger Collins a hand with the scoring then I think Limerick have a serious chance.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on July 20, 2010, 05:51:08 PM
I'll probably have to keep this thread on page one myself but this is the tie of the round by some distance in my view. Limerick would have beaten any of the other teams the could have drawn and Cork would have been certs against anyone bar Limerick. However, Cork even in the GG's will probably be a bridge too far for this criminally underrated team. From 1-9 Limerick are as good as any in the country and although they have improved in the forward line they still don't have enough class forwards to beat the best. In saying that Limerick have a better midfield and have the size and strength to match Cork, I'd expect the biggest Limerick crowd ever at a qualifier this Saturday and the sense of injustice they will feel about the past two or three years may propel them to a major shock.

I'm gutted that these teams were drawn together as I'd love to see Limerick play a big match in CP and I'd like to see Cork win the AI. I'd probably prefer to see Limerick win except for the fact it would hand the AI to Kerry or Tyrone and as a neutral I'd like to see a new winner this year. So heart is leaning towards Limerick and the head towards Cork.

Cork it is so by 2-3 points.

No shit :D

I'm looking forward to this, I hope to head in to see it although the outlaws from Kerry are up visiting. I'm not as high on Limerick as you are, (or Cork for that matter) but I do think it is the tie of the round, and I do think Limerick are underrated. Ian Ryan and young Collins are fine forwards, and their midfield speaks for itself. I do have doubts about the half back line, and the rest of the forwards though, so I'd put them a level below the likes of Cork, Kerry and Tyrone. In fact I'd probably tip Kildare against them.

However, there's no doubt they match up well against Cork because they match up with the power in the Cork team. They should have beaten them a couple of times recently, but in the same manner as Cork 'should have', they never have. So I think Cork will outlast them, and probably win by 4 points.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2010, 07:15:25 PM
Are they even decent? Only notable win was against Meath in 2008 and even then they went out to Kildare at home in the next round, the year before I think Louth knocked them out and Meath last year. Playing well and losing against two teams with 2 eyes on September does not make a highly rated side. Personally I'd rate all the remaining teams except Roscommon higher.

Thats pure ignorance in my view. They play in the hardest province. The two best teams in the country play in Munster at present. They have good man markers, the best midfielder in Ireland bar none and some very good forwards.
I'd fancy Limerick to beat Kildare and Dublin by about 4 points each. They were the team I didn't want. They aren't the only team to struggle in the qualifiers. They were often out 6 days after a provincial final. We'll see how Monaghan and Sligo cope with that next week. Especially when your number one goal is a provincial final. I'd say Cork collectively groaned when they heard the draw. Worst by a mile.

Dinny Breen

Well that's a pretty ignorant post so you're obviously speaking from experience. They play Cork or Kerry when they are not at their sharpest, they played the league just gone in Division 4 and have a terrible qualifier record yet one is suppose to believe they are a good side, it might be ignorant but it's based on fact, you don't win games on paper. Dublin would beat them easliy as would most decent sides. By the way Galvin was dominated by Earley in Limerick and any time they have met in league but then again you have to have been there at those as they weren't televised so I'm actually basing my opinions on my own naked eye, ignorant as it might be  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteThey aren't the only team to struggle in the qualifiers. They were often out 6 days after a provincial final.

::) This happened once to them in 2004, this year they have a 3 week break, last year a 4 week break at least try and give some facts instead of your usual bullshit
#newbridgeornowhere