All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Just a couple of things I'd like to add, while this was a great result for Dublin by finally getting the Tyrone bogey off their back in the championship, I cant see them go on to win the all-ireland. They are too reliant on one forward for scores (and being a Derry man I know a wee bit about that). Dublin have improved immensely under the new management I think, but I also think they'll need another year or two to gel properly as a team to seriously push for sam.

This will be a very unpopular comment with the Tirronies....but I think Sean Cavanagh is the most overratted footballer in the country. I think he always pops up with a score or two at the end of a match when Tyrone have already won which makes it look like he scores a lot. He is rarely if ever the player to dig Tyrone out of a tight game like today...in the past it has been players like Dooher, McGinley, Canavan, both McMahons etc who could dig deep against tough opposition but to me Cavanagh only shines against poor oppostion or when a match is already won. For such a big player he wins very little primary posession and seems to fall at the drop of a hat. He was awful today and if any other player had hit as many wides he'd have been off. Yet Penrose, who I thought was the most dangerous forward tyrone had, was taken off!

Only my opinion!

I had Tryone as favs for AI this year, but I cant see Dublin win it...my money would be on Down after today!

ONeill

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2010, 09:07:56 PM

This will be a very unpopular comment with the Tirronies....but I think Sean Cavanagh is the most overratted footballer in the country. I think he always pops up with a score or two at the end of a match when Tyrone have already won which makes it look like he scores a lot. He is rarely if ever the player to dig Tyrone out of a tight game like today...in the past it has been players like Dooher, McGinley, Canavan, both McMahons etc who could dig deep against tough opposition but to me Cavanagh only shines against poor oppostion or when a match is already won.

Did you watch the AIF 2008? When Cavanagh is not there, Tyrone are a poorer side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2010, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2010, 08:51:01 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:46:47 PM
Tyrone beat themselves. Dublin were deserving winners in terms of their ability to drive for home in those last 5 minutes when the game was there for the taking. However, Tyrone had enough possession and attempts to be well clear before that. Although some of that was down to the Dublin tackling, many of the efforts were from unchallenged positions. So often players uncharacterisitcally had a pop when there were others free running off them.

I know it isn't a game of ifs but if Tyrone, when 10-8 up in the second half, had knocked over a couple more of those dropped short/wide, we'd be saying, yea, they did just enough again - kept Dublin at arm's length. But the posts were not their friend today and sure that happens at times.

First half with the goal at his mercy, Penrose hits the cross bar and the ball is cleared to safety.
5 the ball hits the Tyrone post, falls to O'Gara who sends it to the net - game over.

The game turned on these 2 incidents.

Dubs could quote all sorts of similar incidents.  Don't plaster over major fissures, no longer just cracks. 

Tyrone lost today because unlike Dublin they had no bench to bring on.  Too many old hands struggled with the pace of Dublin.  Cavanagh's and Dooher should have been pulled ashore in early second half.  Lack of squad development since 2003 based on youth development reduced to one from the next generation, P Harte (but a really good one).  None of the old hands owe Tyrone anything, time to leave with dignity.
[/b]

I think in fairness that we should leave the timing of any exits to the lads who brought such honour.

tbrick18

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 09:10:30 PM

This will be a very unpopular comment with the Tirronies....but I think Sean Cavanagh is the most overratted footballer in the country. I think he always pops up with a score or two at the end of a match when Tyrone have already won which makes it look like he scores a lot. He is rarely if ever the player to dig Tyrone out of a tight game like today...in the past it has been players like Dooher, McGinley, Canavan, both McMahons etc who could dig deep against tough opposition but to me Cavanagh only shines against poor oppostion or when a match is already won.

Did you watch the AIF 2008? When Cavanagh is not there, Tyrone are a poorer side.

As I said only my opinion and knew it wouldnt be a popular comment with our red hand neighbours but I stick by it. When Tyrone are playing well Cavanagh does well enough, but I dont think I've ever seen a game where Cavanagh took a game by the scruff when Tyrone weren't doing well. I just think he's overrated, I dont mean to say he's a bad footballer. I just dont understand how he gets such high plaudits....what did he do today to deserve the full 70 while Penrose was taken off? What happened to that lad ONeill by the way, Sean is it? Last time I saw him thought he was class.

done and dusted

Just a couple of things I'd like to add, while this was a great result for Dublin by finally getting the Tyrone bogey off their back in the championship, I cant see them go on to win the all-ireland. They are too reliant on one forward for scores (and being a Derry man I know a wee bit about that). Dublin have improved immensely under the new management I think, but I also think they'll need another year or two to gel properly as a team to seriously push for sam.

This will be a very unpopular comment with the Tirronies....but I think Sean Cavanagh is the most overratted footballer in the country. I think he always pops up with a score or two at the end of a match when Tyrone have already won which makes it look like he scores a lot. He is rarely if ever the player to dig Tyrone out of a tight game like today...in the past it has been players like Dooher, McGinley, Canavan, both McMahons etc who could dig deep against tough opposition but to me Cavanagh only shines against poor oppostion or when a match is already won. For such a big player he wins very little primary posession and seems to fall at the drop of a hat. He was awful today and if any other player had hit as many wides he'd have been off. Yet Penrose, who I thought was the most dangerous forward tyrone had, was taken off!

Only my opinion!

I had Tryone as favs for AI this year, but I cant see Dublin win it...my money would be on Down after today!

I totally agree .... serious problems with the tyrone forward line when a mediocre player like penrose is there best forward!!

INDIANA

tyrone were beaten at their own game. If tyrone fans cant see the personnel has to change then they are lesser men then i thought they were.

tyroneboi

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 31, 2010, 09:21:57 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 09:10:30 PM

As I said only my opinion and knew it wouldnt be a popular comment with our red hand neighbours but I stick by it. When Tyrone are playing well Cavanagh does well enough, but I dont think I've ever seen a game where Cavanagh took a game by the scruff when Tyrone weren't doing well. I just think he's overrated, I dont mean to say he's a bad footballer. I just dont understand how he gets such high plaudits....what did he do today to deserve the full 70 while Penrose was taken off? What happened to that lad ONeill by the way, Sean is it? Last time I saw him thought he was class.

Again . . . did you not see the All Ireland final in 2008? He hasn't been at his best the past two years but still an outstanding player.

Jinxy

Here Indiana, you had a great win today.
Say something positive.
Anything.
Just throw us a bone here.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

barelegs

Regarding personel changes, I think there'll be a few forced on Harte through retirements.

But- Sean O'Neill has to start next year. When given the chance at wing back he's done nothing but impress, yet continually find himself on the bench while Davey Harte was taken off yet again today. Hopfully Aidan Cassidy can get himself back in shape and ready to go for the championship next year. He's had rotten luck with injuries.

I think a few more members of the 08 minor squad could be brought onto the panel, Mattie Donnelly, Gavin Teague and Paddy McNeice (should he keep up the form he showed in the Clonoe- Coalisland championship match), could make an impact. McNeice could be the scoring forward we've been crying out for.

To be honest micey just needs to put a bit more faith in the younger lads. Maybe division 2 of the league will give him an opportunity to do it.

johnpower

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 31, 2010, 08:19:43 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on July 31, 2010, 06:09:32 PM
I didnt buy the down game, so I didnt hear any comment from Dr Spillane - but after the Dublin win he was talking about how Tyrone and Kerry losing ( Down and Dublin winning) today, was great for football, and great for the championship.

Was this is thought after the Kerry game, or was it only because Tyrone were dumped out too that he was able to put a bit of a glossy spin Kerry being beaten?

In fairness I think Pat's reaction is typical enough of what most of the board's is, there would have been much more slagging had only one of Tyrone or Kerry fallen today.

Thats very true . Based on recent history Tyrone are the bench mark for a lot of Kerry people with some solace given the number of absentees since last Sept triumph but it needs to be pointed out that some will not be back (including some who togged today ).

I stayed for the second match and thought that ye were safe at half time and Dublin would wilt . Both Down and Dublin showed great intensitiy today . Yet have nothing won yet

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2010, 09:35:02 PM
Say something positive.
Anything.

:D :D :D I was thinking that myself. You had Down and Dublin marked as poor teams yesterday, in fact I'm surprised your not still knocking Dublin and now you've Tyrone written off. Lighten up Indy and enjoy your weekend, Dublin deserve it and I'm delighted for all you Dubs.

Zulu

QuoteThey moreorless blitzed Ulster 2 years running and were undone by a demented Cork side last year/Cavanagh issue. Today the shooting boots were skewed.

I think you might want to open your mind to other possibilities for Tyrone's defeats. Cork didn't put in a superhuman/demented performance last year, they simply turned up and played at a level they can do regularly and today it wasn't a case of Tyrone losing cause they didn't bring their shooting boots. Tyrone lost today for many reasons, including poor shot selection, tremendous Dublin pressure, Dublin having the best forward on the pitch and a few others too. Tyrone are still a top team but they are no longer ahead of everyone else bar Kerry. cork would have beaten Tyrone if they got over Dublin and it would do Tyrone well to acknowledge that as they've the talent to get back to the top if they realize they aren't there anymore.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on July 31, 2010, 09:35:02 PM
Say something positive.
Anything.
↲Gilroy for pope. O gara is keaveney mark 2. And cork are favourites for the semi

ONeill

I'd have been much more confident of beating Cork than I was of Dublin.

I know that we're not out there any more in terms of the 'top 3' or whatever that was a day ago but the teams left this year do make me feel that it was an All-Ireland there to be won a wee bit easier than the other 3.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

Maybe, but you've suggested that Cork's victory last year was due to a once off performance and Cavanagh missing (undoubtedly a factor) and today's loss was simply a case of Tyrone not having their shooting boots with them. I think that is overly simplistic and doesn't give enough credit to either of your conquerors. I do feel that Tyrone would still beat Dublin 7 or 8 times out of 10 but most of the games would be tight and I'd fancy Cork to beat Tyrone 7 out 10 times at the moment. I know I'm Cork's biggest fan around here but IMO Tyrone haven't looked much better than a lot of teams over the past two years. It has been their guile and experience that has got them past teams rather than a markedly higher level of footballing quality. Wholesale changes aren't needed but a significant turnover of players would be no harm all the same.