All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: Puckoon on July 31, 2010, 06:09:32 PM
I didnt buy the down game, so I didnt hear any comment from Dr Spillane - but after the Dublin win he was talking about how Tyrone and Kerry losing ( Down and Dublin winning) today, was great for football, and great for the championship.

Was this is thought after the Kerry game, or was it only because Tyrone were dumped out too that he was able to put a bit of a glossy spin Kerry being beaten?

In fairness I think Pat's reaction is typical enough of what most of the board's is, there would have been much more slagging had only one of Tyrone or Kerry fallen today.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2010, 11:06:08 AM
After the collapses of the past, Gilroy has thrown out a lot of the footballers and has almost tried to invent a new type of gaelic football, based on power - maybe he looked at Cork last year against Tyrone and decided that big, fast, powerful men ( as opposed to footballers ) is the way forward ?.

Gilroy will have seen in the national league that by bulldozing teams like Tyrone, he can get results.

They absolutely horsed Tyrone out of it in Omagh in the league and will attempt this weekend to do the same.

And they might just succeed.

Just as predicted.

Well done to Dublin. They horsed Tyrone off the field today - they had a referee who let them foul persistently without penalty which went a long way to ensuring that they kept in touch with Tyrone. The goal was a pure fluke but they all count.

But you need luck to win anything and luck was on Dublin's side today. Tyrone made the wrong option time after time and hit enough wides to win the match.

Dublin are not pretty to watch but they're winning matches and that's ALL that matters.

It's amusing but not surprising to think that a lot of Dublin fans were callinf for Gilroy's head after the Meath debacle.

And now he deliver's Dublin's finest hour ( 70 minutes ) in a long time.

ziggysego

Congratulations to a resurgent Dublin. The best team on the day by a country mile and would have no complaints about the results. Gilroy has really turned this team around and they are beginning to see some All-Ireland pedigree. Knew how to play Tyrone and played them well. Good luck with the rest of the All-Ireland campaign.

We still have the minors. ;) Up John and Cahir!
Testing Accessibility

barelegs

Just in the door and I'm absolutey gutted. At 55 minutes the game was there for the taking and we kicked wide after wide. I think I heard 17 or 18 quoted not to mention the amount of ball we dropped short. We just didn't seem to have the required hunger, Dublin fair play to them wanted it that little bit more.

Given the number of wides that were kicked I think it's safe to say that on another day we might have won. No point writing off players based on the back of the wayward kicking. Had Penrose shot dipped under the bar just before half time it might have been a different second half but

That said it may be the last time we seem some of those fellas in Tyrone jerseys, Dooher being the man that springs immediately to mind but I'm sure there'll be others. I'd like to thank them for their efforts over the years.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on July 31, 2010, 08:39:34 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:37:03 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 31, 2010, 08:32:51 PM
The best team on the day by a country mile

You watching the same game?

I think so.

Dubs had a lot of half chances for goal which went over for points.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Tyrone beat themselves. Dublin were deserving winners in terms of their ability to drive for home in those last 5 minutes when the game was there for the taking. However, Tyrone had enough possession and attempts to be well clear before that. Although some of that was down to the Dublin tackling, many of the efforts were from unchallenged positions. So often players uncharacterisitcally had a pop when there were others free running off them.

I know it isn't a game of ifs but if Tyrone, when 10-8 up in the second half, had knocked over a couple more of those dropped short/wide, we'd be saying, yea, they did just enough again - kept Dublin at arm's length. But the posts were not their friend today and sure that happens at times.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2010, 08:07:01 PM
tyrone were nowhere near the better team nowhere. Only for a ref who kept them in the game with soft frees. it was over a long time. The fact is gilroy and co got it right. I got it wrong. And im delighted. I ve been 15 years waiting for today. But we beat tyrone at their own game.

No sour grapes, although we'll have to disagree on the ref. I thought the ref rightly awarded Tyrone frees in the first half once Tyrone realised that the best way to beat Dublin was by running at them. However in the 2nd half, when Tyrone ran at Dublin, they were hacked down but no free was given.

In saying that the ref didn't beat Tyrone - Tyrone kicked too many wides.

Ross Mc Connell must consider himself lucky to have lasted the 70 mins without having saw red.

PS Have we seen a new game invented today with the ball being kicked short to a Tyrone defender every time today ?.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:46:47 PM
Tyrone beat themselves. Dublin were deserving winners in terms of their ability to drive for home in those last 5 minutes when the game was there for the taking. However, Tyrone had enough possession and attempts to be well clear before that. Although some of that was down to the Dublin tackling, many of the efforts were from unchallenged positions. So often players uncharacterisitcally had a pop when there were others free running off them.

I know it isn't a game of ifs but if Tyrone, when 10-8 up in the second half, had knocked over a couple more of those dropped short/wide, we'd be saying, yea, they did just enough again - kept Dublin at arm's length. But the posts were not their friend today and sure that happens at times.

First half with the goal at his mercy, Penrose hits the cross bar and the ball is cleared to safety.

5 the ball hits the Tyrone post, falls to O'Gara who sends it to the net - game over.

The game turned on these 2 incidents.

ONeill

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2010, 08:51:01 PM

First half with the goal at his mercy, Penrose hits the cross bar and the ball is cleared to safety.

5 the ball hits the Tyrone post, falls to O'Gara who sends it to the net - game over.

Well, a bit of credit to Dublin there. When Penrose hit the bar, it rebounded to Cavanagh but his shot was pounced on. Tyrone didn't.

ONeill

How many times did O'Neill touch the ball in 37 minutes? I remember once when there were 3 Dubs hanging out of him.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:54:26 PM

Well, a bit of credit to Dublin there. When Penrose hit the bar, it rebounded to Cavanagh but his shot was pounced on. Tyrone didn't.

No doubt, credit to the Dubs but a rebound off the post / crossbar could have go anywhere. No luck today.

ONeill

I know you're elated today, TYP, but I still think many of the old hands are still the better option. They moreorless blitzed Ulster 2 years running and were undone by a demented Cork side last year/Cavanagh issue. Today the shooting boots were skewed. Best points today were from Jordan, B McGuigan and Mugsy (old hands). Tyrone are still not far away, given what's left in the Championship this year. McCarron, the McMahons, Harte, Penrose, Colm Cavanagh are only a few years or fewer into their inter-county careers.

tyssam5

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2010, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 31, 2010, 08:46:47 PM

Dubs could quote all sorts of similar incidents.  Don't plaster over major fissures, no longer just cracks. 

Tyrone lost today because unlike Dublin they had no bench to bring on.  Too many old hands struggled with the pace of Dublin.  Cavanagh's and Dooher should have been pulled ashore in early second half.  Lack of squad development since 2003 based on youth development reduced to one from the next generation, P Harte (but a really good one).  None of the old hands owe Tyrone anything, time to leave with dignity.

I think Ronan McNabb will be a starter next year if he fills out a bit.