All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Tyrone look better in most areas of the pitch. Dublin have choked at this stage the last few years and I see nothing to suggest anything different this year. Tyrone by 7+. 8)

lynchbhoy

as a bit of an unknown quality to themselves as much as to anyone else this new Dublin side are tougher, bigger,more akward and dont have any discernable pattern to analyse just yet.
They like to run at teams (as their passing game hasnt clicked yet) and while cutting out supply to B Brogan and having him marked by either McCarron or Justin Mc (or even Colm mccullagh - you never know what Harte will do either) might take him mostly out of the game, the big strong fast runners like McCauley, OGara, Cullen (back in his best position), Flynn, Fennell, McConnell and Cahill (and maybe brennan - still a weak link imo) will be a different kind of test for Tyrone. A different style of football that is still emerging.
I dont think its going to be an easy game for either side. Dublin could sneak it. they dont look pretty doing it, but it is effective. Tyrone running at Dublin is their best bet too like they did at monaghan - as Dubs defence and FB line is very tight marking (FB maybe too cumbersome to mark a natural and agile FF- with limited ball I thought lennon showed up a few problems with ocarroll).
look forward to this! Tyrone but only just. Dubs could sneak it if tyrone dont stop the strong scorng runners !

orangeman

After the collapses of the past, Gilroy has thrown out a lot of the footballers and has almost tried to invent a new type of gaelic football, based on power - maybe he looked at Cork last year against Tyrone and decided that big, fast, powerful men ( as opposed to footballers ) is the way forward ?.

Gilroy will have seen in the national league that by bulldozing teams like Tyrone, he can get results.

They absolutely horses Tyrone out of it in Omagh in the league and will attempt this weekend to do the same.

And they might just succeed.

To whom it may concern

Don't think this is as clear cut as people may think. A number of points;

1. Hopefully Tyrone have momentum. Last year they didn't. In 2007, the other year they found themselves in this position having won Ulster, they didn't either. 2007 and 2009 semed like stop go seasons and ultimately they were caught. This year, there appears to be a freshness and an improvement with each game. The 2 week break from the Monaghan game seems about perfect, although the Dubs are building their own momentum

2. There may be a big game in the Dubs. There should be close to a full house with the possibility of this being a stand alone game on the Saturday. The Dubs may relish this.

3. Their forward line, in particular the Brogans, especially Bernard. He went to town in Omagh a few months ago. Although the Tyrone defence will play totally different this weekend, it is important the Dubs aren't given space like Cork were last year in the first half and also Kildare last year, again in first half. If this is the case, the Dubs could score heavily in a short space of time. The jury is out on O'Gara, but it will require one of the McMahons to mark him. Then, who marks Bernard? and Alan?

4. Their midfield is physically powerful and have dominated their last 3 games. Tyrone's midfield have to play as well as they did in Clones at the very least.

5. Up front is key. On reflection, perhaps the main reason they lost to Cork last year and Meath 2007 is the amount of wides kicked. If they miss like last Sunday in Clones, they could be in difficulty. With SO'N unlikely to start, free taking is an issue. How reliable will Penrose be into the Hill? And right footed free taker? Has Tommy McGuigan the confidence to take them? Sean Cavanagh or Mulligan? Perhaps Mulligan has the temperment. Also the role of Sean Cavanagh. I don't think he is a '40 man. Either inside to occupy O'Carroll their young full back or else around the middle.

LeoMc

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2010, 11:06:08 AM
After the collapses of the past, Gilroy has thrown out a lot of the footballers and has almost tried to invent a new type of gaelic football, based on power - maybe he looked at Cork last year against Tyrone and decided that big, fat, powerful men ( as opposed to footballers ) is the way forward ?.

Gilroy will have seen in the national league that by bulldozing teams like Tyrone, he can get results.

They absolutely horses Tyrone out of it in Omagh in the league and will attempt this weekend to do the same.

No comment needed.
Anything I could come up with will never be as funny as the original.

The Konica

Biggest problem for Dublin is that Tyrone know what to expect and unless they have another plan B up their sleeve Tyrone will be well prepared for them.

Likewise Dublin will be ready for Tyrone, but I think Tyrone will capitalize on that much better.

orangeman

Quote from: LeoMc on July 26, 2010, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2010, 11:06:08 AM
After the collapses of the past, Gilroy has thrown out a lot of the footballers and has almost tried to invent a new type of gaelic football, based on power - maybe he looked at Cork last year against Tyrone and decided that big, fast, powerful men ( as opposed to footballers ) is the way forward ?.

No comment needed.
Anything I could come up with will never be as funny as the original.

Apologies to those big Dublin lads !!  :D ;)

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on July 26, 2010, 09:00:54 AM
Flashback to wet and wild 2008 - Dublin cruising through Leinster, Tyrone struggling through the qualifiers - Tyrone raised their game and Dublin wilted - the roles are identical in reverse now.

Nice comparison - only problem is that the Tyrone players had two AI medals rattling about in their pockets - Dublin players don't

Fuzzman

The feeling here in the capital among any Dubs I've talked to is they don't think they've a chance

They got truly hockeyed by Meath & a lot of talk of Gilroy had lost the dressing room and players saying he hadn't a clue what he was at.

Since then they've went on and beat Tipperary, Armagh(Who Monaghan hammered) and now Louth who were terrible on Sat.
The main thing these games lack is intensity and Dublin did not have to show any true grit.

They lack leaders in my eyes on the feel and Gilroy is far from a tactical genius.
Of course they could play out of their skins & set me up for a huge fall but I'm only speaking my mind that I've saw Tyrone 3 times this year and Dublin twice and I am fairly confident which one I'd be putting my money on.

I wouldn't bet on SoN not being fit this time either from what i've heard

DirtyDozen12

I think Dublin will definately be different proposition this time around compared with 2008.  If you look at the Dublin forward line in 2008, you could have predicted which Tyrone defenders where going to mark which Dublin forward before the game and I remember thinking at the time that there is no way Dublin forwards would get the better of Tyrone defenders (Tyrone where a massive 3/1 that day and certs when you thought about the game beforehand)

The Dublin forward line that day was:
D Connolly, J Sherlock, K Bonner; A Brogan (capt), C Keaney (1-01), T Quinn (0-02, 2f).

The Tyrone defence was:
R McMenamin, Justin McMahon, C Gourley; D Harte (1-01), C Gormley (0-01), P Jordan;

Match ups as far as i remember where:
Ricey on Quinn
Justy on Keaney
C Gourley on Bonner
D Harte on Connolly
C Gormley on A Brogan
P Jordan on Sherlock

there was no way that Dublin forward line was going to have any impact when matched up like that.  Tyrone are shrewd that way and i still expect them to win this weekend but I also expect a much sterner challenge from Dublin.  They have a more work man like ethic about them this year and appear for more robust than the timid forward line they had back in 08, which is down to Gilroys approach.  Cullen and Corkery are more honest players in my opinion compared to what the likes of Bonner and Connolly where, also Alan Brogan on the 40 and Ber-nard Brogan starting this time around should make a difference.  O'Gara will add a bit of power to there forward line and is a strong hoor although i think his vision is questionable, he is very direct and showed that against Louth with his 2 goals although the Louth full back was shocking, i dont expect Tyrone defenders to dive in like Finnegan did last week.  I expect O'Gara to run straight at the Tyrone defence every time he gets the ball as he is that type of player but i expect him not to have the success he had last week as Tyrone are clincial in the tackle and will surround him early.  Tyrone are always able to handle a one trick pony player.

Still expect tyrone to win as still think they are the best team in the country at grinding other teams down and then taking them to pieces on the counter attack.  Every player is very very comfortable on the ball and not a man panics, even when they are not playing well or are a few scores down.  Think the Dublin defence is highly suspect and would expect Tyrone forwards to get the upper hand qute easily in this department which is why i think Gilroy has went for Cullen and Corkery this year as wing half forwards, because he knows they will track runners and give a dodegy defence some extra help.

Tyrone by 3pts.  Roll on the weekend, Skylon booked, Copperfaces Saturday night, get the BINTS in  8)   
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

heffo

Dubs v Tyrone on at 4pm Saturday - Kerry v Down as curtain raiser

rrhf

Thats some days football - magic if true.  Fill 'er to the rafters men. 

Fuzzman

I'd agree with most of that DirtDozen & I always like reading yer avatar message

Sat suits me ok

sizzler

Is it defo sat? I would have thought they would leave the most glamourous match to the end??

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.