Antrim v Cork 25th July 2010

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, July 18, 2010, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2010, 11:31:57 AM
It didn't look to me Cork played the game in first gear yesterday.

If that is the case, KK are in big trouble once Cork get into 6th gear.
I don't think they have that many gears this year. Yes, they were always able to move ahead of Antrim but O'hAilpin and Cussen were poor yesterday regardless of the opposition.

NAG1

I think if I was a cork man i would be seriously concerned, they can say what they like about gears and all but when it came down to it some of their players just arent that good.

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on July 26, 2010, 01:26:58 PM
I think if I was a cork man i would be seriously concerned, they can say what they like about gears and all but when it came down to it some of their players just arent that good.

Agreed.  This talk of gears is very prevalent these days regarding football and hurling, it seems to be a case that when a team wins against a lesser side that they were just playing in 1st gear.  The lesser sides, like Antrim yesterday, aren't get the credit they deserve for their hassling and hard work.  Its always the view that it was the bigger team not trying as hard as the reason for a lacklustre performance rather than the efforts of the underdog in disrupting their opponents game and the fluidity of their play.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Applesisapples

Not taking aything away from Antrim yesterday but Cork never looked to be in trouble even though they were playing poorly themselves, the main difference was that when Antrim made mistakes they were invariably punished whilst Cork's went unpunished, it wasn't so much a case of Cork having another gear more Antrim not having that extra gear. But all in all a great effort from Antrim and I look forward to them having a crack at the league.

Bogball XV

Antrim's best performance in a fair while against one of the top sides, I went to see them against Dublin last year and whilst they shouldn't have lost by as much that day, they were badly beaten by a second tier side and that shouldn't be happening.
I thought the full back Donnelly? had a great game and Watson was Watson, a very frustrating player, reminds me on Skinner Bradley.  Antrim never really threatened a goal though and grabbing a few goals used to be the trademark of Antrim teams, in saying that the cork full back line are very strong.
I can't see Cork threatening Kilkenny at all, nor will Tipp have too many problems with Waterford (hopefully), the second game was a superb advert alright and at a totally different level from the first, great atmosphere too considering there was only 28,000 in croker.

imtommygunn

The goal at the end of the first half killed us. That said we struggled at times especially for pace. Neil McAuley and Graffin are two boys we just can't replace. It was very noticeable we struggled in those two particular areas.

We put up a good account of ourselves. Realistically we were never going to beat Cork however we definitely showed a number of chinks in their armoury which is a significant step. In the last cork game we never got anywhere near them.

Hopefully the older boys will stick at it and we can blood a few in the league. We definitely need a couple of better forwards to compete at this level.

Reillers it is little wonder Cadogan's head attracts so much attention. He is constantly at off the ball stuff and I would say he's up there with Ryan McMenamin in the verbals. (N.B. That is no to excuse Watson's behaviour but when people attract trouble regularly there is generally a reason for it).He will get his medicine against KK if he continues to behave like that.

Minder

Was sitting not far from the Cork management and I saw Frank Murphy pointing out a few things to Denis Walsh during the game, I hope Walsh isn't a patsy. Is he Reillers?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dowling

Niall McCarthy took that goal well. Surprising because I thought he would be tired after all those steps he took.
Still think the Cork team get the rub of the green with refereeing decisions. If you look at the first 'Watson' incident the umpires seemed to be looking the other way so how did the referee decide to book him? Looking at the big screen?
I still think Cork can up their game but if I was Reillers I'd be looking someone to blame just in case.

imtommygunn

I also fail to see how Watson got booked in that incident. Surely it was a red or nothing. Based on that I suppose he was unlucky to be sent off!

If the ref deals with the incident at the time then nothing can be done by way of "trial by tv" so watson can't be suspended. Am I correct there or is that soccer I'm thinking of?

NAG1

ITG

I would have thought along the same lines as yourself but I have been told that is a soccer thing and retrospective action can be taken in any case.

My thinking would be on it now, that because Antrim are out this may be the last we hear of the incident.

Applesisapples

Irrespective of the provocation Watson struck Cadogan on the head and should have walked. You won't see Killkenny being that stupid, Cadogan will be sorted fairly and squarely if he tries off the ball stuff.

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 27, 2010, 09:50:15 AM
Irrespective of the provocation Watson struck Cadogan on the head and should have walked. You won't see Killkenny being that stupid, Cadogan will be sorted fairly and squarely if he tries off the ball stuff.

Cadogan put the butt of the hurley into Watson's nether regions initially after a bit of argy bargy. Watson  slapped him on the helmet, both were wrong to do what they did but Cadogan certainly milked it to the full.

IMO Antrim lack a dominant centre back, someone who's gonna lead and turn the ball up the park and physically own that area and put runners on their arse. Campbell is a good hurler more suited to the wing where his sweeping style works better. McAuley would be the better long term candidate.
Did Shields go off injured?
I'd have him in the forwards as he can take a score but he's a good hurler and can play anywhere.

As for the semi-final, the Cork defence will keep them in the game but you just can't see that forward division troubling Kilkenny and get the goals that they'll need to win. Maybe they'll play deep and allow Naughton who has the pace to trouble the KK fullback line a bit of freedom to break up the field into the spaces.

imtommygunn

NAG - he got retrospectively done for the Tipperary incident the last time though.

Apples he should have walked no doubt. However he struck which is a red card offense and not a yellow offense. That would lead me to believe that ref/umpire were second guessing what he did which shouldn't happen. Based on that he was unlucky to get booked. As I said before I am not defending his actions.

Johnney - Shields hasn't seemed fit the last few games and has struggled fitness wise. McManus would be the ideal CHB but we're so short in the forwards we have to play him there. McKeegan the same. Campbell is good but like you say wing back material.

the colonel

Karl has slowed down a bit and has said that he is now enjoying forwards and has no intention of spending his last few years chasing fella's. Neil has been centre back for the club and has showed it is his best position. That allows him to dominate a lot more than what centre forward does. If graffin or mcauley were there then shorty would have been midfield if fit, allowing shane to go forward. Another scoring forward. I'd imagine both lads will be back in full action come league.

Anyone know how long dinny's term is for?
the difference between success and failure is energy

dowling

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2010, 10:35:42 AM
NAG - he got retrospectively done for the Tipperary incident the last time though.

Apples he should have walked no doubt. However he struck which is a red card offense and not a yellow offense. That would lead me to believe that ref/umpire were second guessing what he did which shouldn't happen. Based on that he was unlucky to get booked. As I said before I am not defending his actions.

Johnney - Shields hasn't seemed fit the last few games and has struggled fitness wise. McManus would be the ideal CHB but we're so short in the forwards we have to play him there. McKeegan the same. Campbell is good but like you say wing back material.

That's the point. None of the officials actually seemed to see what happened. Did Donal óg maybe influence the ref or did the ref maybe glance at the big screen before he booked him. Was a bad stroke but we've all seen plenty worse which hasn't received the same attention. Ref seemed to book another couple of Antrim boys early on when you wouldn't have expected it. Surely the likes of Antrim teams shouldn't be hindered in trying to get to the intensity of the Corks and Kilkennys.