Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 07:33:15 PM
Quote from: zoyler on July 11, 2010, 06:53:01 PM
Can't accept Lynchboys agument in this instant.  They were not caught - they were cheated out of it by totally incompetent and pigheaded (not consulting the Umpires) refereeing! 

The GAA have it in their hands to make sure this clown is not allowed wreck another game and disillusion a whole generation of young supporters in another county.

They could also apologise to Louth for the manner in which they were treated by a ref who refused to consult those  nearest the action.

If I were that umpire I know what I would be telling Sludden!
yes they were cheated in that goal decision, but that was just one decision. they missed handfuls of goal chances before that.

The point here is that you are using this argument to absolve the referee, officials, Gaa or whoever from being responsible for their incompetence. What happened earlier in the game is irrelevant in this context. Nothing that Louth did or didn't do earlier changes the fact that they have officially lost a game to a goal that was never scored.
maybe, apart from the fact that the same ref was like santa claus most of the game towards the louth side and was very harsh on meath. Meath were harder done by over the course of the game imo. Could argue that by his dreadful decision, sludden evened up for his prev one sidedness !

while what I am saying is hard to take when such a blatantly wrong decision is fresh in your minds, the truth is that this is part and parcel of our games all season long, and while we have to accept it in junior, intermediate and senior club games, the reality is that we constantly complain about refs almost every championship match.
So we need to build in the mentality to carry this additional problem in each game.
Until we find some methodology to rectify our officiation problems (second ref, properly trained umpires, video evidence etc) we will continue to have refereeing fiascos like duffy at westmeath v Derry last night and sluddens one massive mistake at todays game.
this isnt a new phenomenon, senior teams I had played on discussed incorporating for a referees biasedness into the gameplan.

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 07:45:50 PM
C. He admitted he shouldn't have given the goal but should have instead given a penalty (though even that would have been wrong IMO)
I dont know how he'd give a penalty, it would be a free out for Sheridan charging if anything!

Time was up, as evidenced by his blowing of full time immediately after the kick out. It would have been some craic if he had given the penalty and then blew full time as the ball was on its way to the net.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

No replay will be offered. Not going to happen from what I'm hearing.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 11, 2010, 07:41:54 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 07:30:15 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 11, 2010, 06:43:14 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 06:40:55 PM
However we know that in football or hurling (as well as in other sports) if you dont take your chances when they come, you run the risk of being caught and losing.
Thats what happened louth today. They had enough chances - goal chances and point chances - to close out the game. They didnt take them.
That's all irrelevant.
if thats what you think then its fairly obv you know feck all about football or havent obv played it
its the fundamental part and parcel of gaelic games and sports in general.
you dont always get the rub of the green or the refereeing decisions - you take whatever you get.
Not all games have tv coverage or have the chance of demanding a replay based on empathy, sympathy or embarrasment.
there are no rulings as yet for tv replay post adjudication.

one thing that from under 10's up you are told, is that the ref could be agains tyou so you got to go out and play your best and take your scores and win the game in spite os the other team and ref may put in your way.
Louth had the chances to make that last goal debacle irrelvent. they didnt.
Many players and teams have been in the same position, and while they (some of my own games as player and manager included) were lost and we felt cheated - we know we had our destiny in our own hands and therefore could only blame ourselves.
If you cant accept that, then you dont know sport.
fairly obv from reading your stuff on the board in the past I dont expect you to understand

Hang on a second LB, this wasn't about a few bad decisions that we all argue about, though he made plenty of them too, this was a game defining decision that the officials messed up. This was a monumental c**k up and there is no excuse for it, unlike many poor decisions made in real time, this was one where the ref could of and should of spoken to his umpires about. The decision today was as bad as has ever been made in GAA history because;

A. The ref gave the goal without knowing what had happened (if he did he couldn't have given it)
B. He didn't consult with his umpires, even after one of them called him into the goal to discuss something.
C. He admitted he shouldn't have given the goal but should have instead given a penalty (though even that would have been wrong IMO)
D. there were at least 3 if not four fouls in that passage of play and he and his umpires failed to call any of them.

We all know that calls can go against you in a game but we should be able to rely on the officials getting the basic and blatantly obvious ones right.

I don't know what criterion is set for refs before they can ref at IC level but it is clear that teh bar is set very low and this isn't acceptable.
id agree that officiation is dreadful. todays game wasnt as bad as I have seen in a lot of other games this season, it wasnt even the worst this weekend!

eg Derry didnt deserve to have diver sent off yesterday, but they had built up enough of a cushion to fall over the final whistle as winners.
that second yellow and subsequent red card could have cost Derry their place in the next round.
Louth were denied a leinster champo
ionship.
Next day out if a replay is awarded, I'd expect meath to tank them.
Truth is Dublin are kicking themselves for not being leinster champions right now as they are still by far the best in leinster.
imo

Mac2

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:38:30 PM
Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.

Correct but where's the rule to change a result?

I detest straw man arguments.

Louth were cheated.

Well tough, no one's disputing the manner of the defeat, resolving it is a different issue.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 11, 2010, 07:50:00 PM
No replay will be offered. Not going to happen from what I'm hearing.

That's not what I'm hearing Indy

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:38:30 PM
Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.

Correct but where's the rule to change a result?

I detest straw man arguments.

Louth were cheated.

Well tough, no one's disputing the manner of the defeat, resolving it is a different issue.

You have (indirectly) been advocating doing nothing to resolve it.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

However we know that in football or hurling (as well as in other sports) if you dont take your chances when they come, you run the risk of being caught and losing.
Thats what happened louth today. They had enough chances - goal chances and point chances - to close out the game. They didnt take them.
That's all irrelevant.
if thats what you think then its fairly obv you know feck all about football or havent obv played it
Yes, you're right, I know feck all and have never played it.  ::)

On what basis do you think the CCCC have been suspending players?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 07:45:50 PM
I dont know how he'd give a penalty, it would be a free out for Sheridan charging if anything!

Ya and he missed the Square ball, carrying the ball over the line and the throw  >:(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Hotrocks on July 11, 2010, 06:59:40 PM
Lads go easy on Sludden, could have been a genuine mistake.  Think hes a regular poster on the tyrone thread aswell :-X
I hope he sees this post from me then.  Sludden, you aren't fit to referee an U12 game.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Zulu

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html

GAA media player has interviews and a replay of tonight's take your point for those of you interested.

johnpower

The Sunday game will love this loads of video to talk about . The only hopre of getting out of this mess is if Meath offer a replay . Dessie is alll excited going through his e mails and texts at the moment .How long will it be before we have any offical comment from the Gaa?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 11, 2010, 07:57:48 PM
That's all irrelevant.
Yes, you're right, I know feck all and have never played it.  ::)

On what basis do you think the CCCC have been suspending players?
what games have they altered results etc ?
need to bring rules and regulations in for that, also if these suspended players went to the courts based on what happened a number of years ago with tipp minor captains etc - i'd be surprised if these bans didnt have to be ignored.

we need better regulation, policies and procedures to cover all these issues and problems cropping up.
we need better and proper officiation of our championship matches.
its not the first time I have mentioned this on the board. we cannot moan or whinge about these issues until we address them properly with constituted rules.

Farrandeelin

Here's me just beginning to like Meath's style of play this morning.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 11, 2010, 08:32:22 PM
Here's me just beginning to like Meath's style of play this morning.

We can hardly blame Meath for todays fiasco.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.