Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:29:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:18:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:12:53 PM
What exactly do people want the GAA to do here. Give a replay? Is that justice given that Louth had won the game. Rescind the decision by the referee and hand the game to Louth? Either way where will that leave us with respect to decisions re: dubious late frees etc where matches are drawn or won.
Dubious late frees are completely different to the sheer incompetence (I'll stop short of accusing him of cheating) that we seen today.

Why, just because this one is more blatant? Results can be adversely affected in either case & we've seen numerous examples of this down through the years.

This is worse simply because it is quite obviously wrong. There is no debate (other than from Joe Sheridan who I just saw on the news and is going down in my estimation).

You are talking about dubious frees which sound to me to be subjective and open to interpretation. You are then at the mercy of the referee's interpretation as it should be. In this case there is no other interpretation. There isn't a single post on this thread saying it was a goal.

There have been frees that have been given that are clearly & unequivocally wrong. What you are advocating, that the game should be awarded to Louth? That's a dangerous precedent.

And standing over injustice isn't?

Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?

The Real Laoislad

I heard the Louth man on RTE 1 radio comso, it was awful the way they cut him off
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

omagh_gael

Absolutely sickened by this whole affair.

It patenly obvious that Sludden over ruled the umpire who must have knew the goal shouldn't have stood if you watch his reaction as soon as the goal is scored, never went near the green flag. I just can't understand how or why he didn't have the balls to pull Sludden on his decision to award the goal. Completely astonishing!

I feel so much for all those Louth fans not having the chance to run into the field celebrating the title that should rightly be theirs. So disappointed that the lunatics who were at Sludden and the Meath players have taken the heat away from the ref. The suits have a ready made issue to focus on as opposed to the utter imcompetence shown by Sludden.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Could the Mods, post a stickie of the up to date rules for Gaelic Football, which can be used for reference.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lynchbhoy

while the ref wasnt brilliant, he wasnt that bad - certainly wasnt  patch on the ineptitude displayed last night in mullingar by yer man duffy from sligo (I think he was the ref).
Sludden missed a few frees to either side.
However we know that in football or hurling (as well as in other sports) if you dont take your chances when they come, you run the risk of being caught and losing.
Thats what happened louth today. They had enough chances - goal chances and point chances - to close out the game. They didnt take them. Meath didnt take their chances in the first half either, but overall, louth deserved a win.

Only a generous decision from meath can grant a replay.
other than that, this is life, in sport.
Just add Joe Sheridans pushover 'tyy-goal' to Thierry henri's handball.

unless meath offer a replay, theres not much to be said.
Only maybe the GAA should start looking into some kind of training/certification for umpires (if not also linesmen) - as umpires seem to be ref's cronies and are obv blind as bats/dont know the rules !

lynchbhoy

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 11, 2010, 06:40:23 PM
Absolutely sickened by this whole affair.

It patenly obvious that Sludden over ruled the umpire who must have knew the goal shouldn't have stood if you watch his reaction as soon as the goal is scored, never went near the green flag. I just can't understand how or why he didn't have the balls to pull Sludden on his decision to award the goal. Completely astonishing!

I feel so much for all those Louth fans not having the chance to run into the field celebrating the title that should rightly be theirs. So disappointed that the lunatics who were at Sludden and the Meath players have taken the heat away from the ref. The suits have a ready made issue to focus on as opposed to the utter imcompetence shown by Sludden.
I dont blame sludden , to me (in cusack stand) it looked like the umpire was insisting to the ref that it was a goal.

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:35:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:29:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:18:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:12:53 PM
What exactly do people want the GAA to do here. Give a replay? Is that justice given that Louth had won the game. Rescind the decision by the referee and hand the game to Louth? Either way where will that leave us with respect to decisions re: dubious late frees etc where matches are drawn or won.
Dubious late frees are completely different to the sheer incompetence (I'll stop short of accusing him of cheating) that we seen today.

Why, just because this one is more blatant? Results can be adversely affected in either case & we've seen numerous examples of this down through the years.

This is worse simply because it is quite obviously wrong. There is no debate (other than from Joe Sheridan who I just saw on the news and is going down in my estimation).

You are talking about dubious frees which sound to me to be subjective and open to interpretation. You are then at the mercy of the referee's interpretation as it should be. In this case there is no other interpretation. There isn't a single post on this thread saying it was a goal.

There have been frees that have been given that are clearly & unequivocally wrong. What you are advocating, that the game should be awarded to Louth? That's a dangerous precedent.

And standing over injustice isn't?

Explain how throwing the ball into the net is a goal. See I can play that game too.

The simple fact is that there has been a terrible injustice inflicted upon the people of Louth Gaa. You choose to argue that nothing can be done because it isn't in the rules. Video evidence is already used to punish events missed by referees and I think it should be done here as well.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 06:40:55 PM
However we know that in football or hurling (as well as in other sports) if you dont take your chances when they come, you run the risk of being caught and losing.
Thats what happened louth today. They had enough chances - goal chances and point chances - to close out the game. They didnt take them.
That's all irrelevant.

Mac2

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:38:30 PM
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.

Correct but where's the rule to change a result?

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 11, 2010, 06:42:00 PM
I dont blame sludden , to me (in cusack stand) it looked like the umpire was insisting to the ref that it was a goal.
From the Cusack stand or several close-up TV angles... which do you think might be more reliable?

omagh_gael

LB look at the YouTube links a few pages back, it's clear that Sludden instructed him to wave the flag that hadn't been raised until that point. Plus Peter Fitzpatrick confirmed that it was Sludden who made the call.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 11, 2010, 05:34:57 PM
I have to agree with Pints etc....watching it live the first thing I said to myself was "The ref told the umpire it was a goal....there was no consultation whatsoever." Watch closely. The umpire seems to ask Sludden and then runs back for the green flag. Complete travesty. It'll be interesting to see how the suits sort this one out!!
Yeah, I noticed that too; the umpire made no move to wave the green flag until the ref spoke, very briefly, to him. Also, given the circumstances, I would have expected the ref to double check with the other umpire.
But I feel the question of the "goal" being legal or not shouldn't have come into the picture. There was a blatant square ball incident in the lead up and the ref should have awarded a free out for this. I'm not saying Sludden was working to any hidden agenda or anything like that but he was quite clearly at fault in not spotting the square ball offence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Dinny Breen

GAA President refers to CCCC and doesn't rule out replay
#newbridgeornowhere

Maguire01

Cooney didn't rule out a replay. The CCCC will review the ref's report - it appears they normally just adopt it, but it sounded like there was scope to reject it.