Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Replay has to be offered, Louth were robbed. Joe Sheridan should be ashamed of himself, every bit as bad as Thierry Henry probably worse. What were the umpires doing? Far too many officials on a gaa field and none of them taking adequate responsibility. Joe Sheridan, you sir are a disgrace, interview done on rte radio 10 mins after game, talking about how sorry he felt for Louth, what a cheating ........

johnpower

What year did Laois give Carlow the replay ? Its a bit harsh the criticism of Joe Sheridan he will be enlightened after viewing tonights eddittion of the Sunday game

Hound

Quote from: Rudi on July 11, 2010, 08:42:09 PM
Replay has to be offered, Louth were robbed. Joe Sheridan should be ashamed of himself, every bit as bad as Thierry Henry probably worse. What were the umpires doing? Far too many officials on a gaa field and none of them taking adequate responsibility. Joe Sheridan, you sir are a disgrace, interview done on rte radio 10 mins after game, talking about how sorry he felt for Louth, what a cheating ........
Sheridan has his medal, that's all he cares about.

Canalman

Btw, don't think the fact that 2 Louth backs spilled the ball tamely back to Sheridan after the great block will get a mention tomorrow/tonight.
Whisper it lightly they may have made a mistake.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: johnpower on July 11, 2010, 08:47:40 PM
What year did Laois give Carlow the replay ? Its a bit harsh the criticism of Joe Sheridan he will be enlightened after viewing tonights eddittion of the Sunday game

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Canalman

Joe Sheridan has imo nothing to be ashamed of. Don't know him from Adam, but it will be a travesty if he gets villified/slurred  as a result of today's game.

muppet

Quote from: Canalman on July 11, 2010, 08:55:03 PM
Joe Sheridan has imo nothing to be ashamed of. Don't know him from Adam, but it will be a travesty if he gets villified/slurred  as a result of today's game.

As big a travesty as Louth not winning today?
MWWSI 2017

Mac2

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:38:30 PM
Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.

Correct but where's the rule to change a result?

I detest straw man arguments.

Louth were cheated.

Well tough, no one's disputing the manner of the defeat, resolving it is a different issue.

You have (indirectly) been advocating doing nothing to resolve it.

What's your resolution give the cup to Louth?

omagh_gael

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 08:59:31 PM
Explain where & how in the rules the awarding of a match to another team as a result of a bad decision by a referee can come about?
According to the rules you're not allowed to throw the ball or carry it in to the net but that went out the window today.

Louth were cheated.

Well tough, no one's disputing the manner of the defeat, resolving it is a different issue.

If the game had any integrity that is what would happen.

Precedent 1989 Connacht Minor Final. Roscommon (Cake Curran) scored a goal from the penalty spot that the referee disallowed. Roscommon ignored/didn't notice that the ref had disallowed the goal and were presented with the cup.

After much back room diplomacy (Galway were looking for support in the Tony Keady affair) Galway offered a replay which Roscommon won. No bad taste left for anyone, unlike this situation.
MWWSI 2017

Hound

I think that's what most right-thinking people would have said in the immediate after-math. However, seeing him going up to the ref and umpire (while the Louth lads were complaining) and clearly claiming it was a proper goal, and then his after match comments, well its adding insult to injury.

Clearly I wouldnt have expected him to have the honour to tell the officials it was no goal, but keeping out of the limelight both on the pitch and afterwards would have been a better course of action.

muppet

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2010, 09:07:53 PM
I think that's what most right-thinking people would have said in the immediate after-math. However, seeing him going up to the ref and umpire (while the Louth lads were complaining) and clearly claiming it was a proper goal, and then his after match comments, well its adding insult to injury.

Clearly I wouldnt have expected him to have the honour to tell the officials it was no goal, but keeping out of the limelight both on the pitch and afterwards would have been a better course of action.

Agreed. I have no problem with his actions during the game but his conduct and comments since have lowered my opinion of him. He might have wised up by tomorrow though so I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt.
MWWSI 2017

Mac2

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 09:04:57 PM

Louth were cheated.

Precedent 1989 Connacht Minor Final. Roscommon (Cake Curran) scored a goal from the penalty spot that the referee disallowed. Roscommon ignored/didn't notice that the ref had disallowed the goal and were presented with the cup.

After much back room diplomacy (Galway were looking for support in the Tony Keady affair) Galway offered a replay which Roscommon won. No bad taste left for anyone, unlike this situation.

So the game itself lacks integrity because it has no mechanism for altering a result? You know quite well there are good reasons for not revisiting decisions that affect the outcome of a game, this is the same in most sports not just the GAA.

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 09:13:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 09:04:57 PM

Louth were cheated.

So the game itself lacks integrity because it has no mechanism for altering a result? You know quite well there are good reasons for not revisiting decisions that affect the outcome of a game, this is the same in most sports not just the GAA.

Another man putting words in my mouth.

The game lacks integrity because one the game was won by the awarding of a goal that never happened. I really don't care about the head in the sand 'good reasons', a terrible injustice was inflicted today.
MWWSI 2017