Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

boosabum

Quote from: Barney on September 30, 2010, 08:21:53 AM
Fantastic news and best of luck to James.

I do not doubt but that the comments by supporters by ourselves on blogs and boards like this did have an influence in persuading the Board that they would not be able to push through Tommy Lyons.

It is still a risk but there is a huge amount of goodwill for James and that is a great starting point. He will be low-key and needs time and space and judgement should only begin after next Summer.

I think people might be claiming too much credit with a statement like that. The CB hardly traweled throught the internet to gauge opinion, there are tons of posts lambasting them for being out of touch with the clubs and supporters, so why start now.
Maybe, just maybe JH was head and shoulders above the others and the choice was straightforward.

ludermor

Must say im delighted with the appointment and i hope realistic targets are put to Horan and he is given time to grow into the job.
Can someone outline what background his selectors and backroom staff have for those of us living away?
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan
Is it time to take the circus back to the Local Gaa Page?

Barney

QuoteWhat in under God are ye going to talk about now though - a new jersey design? 

I wonder will we be getting a change actually. I think it should do away with the old memories of the Johnno era and make a change.. It is a 2 year old jersey at this stage.

I think we all need a break though and I certainly intend to take one after the initial fanfare has died down and the NY game is over.

western exile

It is ironic that after one of the positives put forward in support of Lyons was that he was born in Mayo and only moved east when he was 10.  Then a Mayoman gets the job, even though he was born in New Zealand!

From the Bunker

Quote from: ludermor on September 30, 2010, 08:50:43 AM
Must say im delighted with the appointment and i hope realistic targets are put to Horan and he is given time to grow into the job.
Can someone outline what background his selectors and backroom staff have for those of us living away?
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt

Paul Jordan is origially from Kilmovee/Urluar. He was part of the great Urluar Soccer side that won the Mayo Cup in 86, 87, 90 and 93. Urluar were league champions in 1990. Urluar achieved FAI and Connacht cup runs in the late eighties. He was voted Mayo (Soccer) Player of the Year in 1990. He has amanged Snugboro United in the Super League.

He was a member of the Castlebar Mitchels team who won County in 1993 and Connacht finals, before losing the AI Club final in 1994 to Nemo Rangers. Was recently Manager of Castlebar Mitchels Senior side that lost in the knockout stage of the championship, earlier that day he had the distinction of playing in the Junior championship for mitchels second team. He recenly won a Masters AI with Mayo. He has been involved recently in training Mitchels underage as well as the Mayo Ladies in 2008.

AbbeySider

Quote from: boosabum on September 30, 2010, 08:46:33 AM
Quote from: Barney on September 30, 2010, 08:21:53 AM
Fantastic news and best of luck to James.

I do not doubt but that the comments by supporters by ourselves on blogs and boards like this did have an influence in persuading the Board that they would not be able to push through Tommy Lyons.

It is still a risk but there is a huge amount of goodwill for James and that is a great starting point. He will be low-key and needs time and space and judgement should only begin after next Summer.

I think people might be claiming too much credit with a statement like that. The CB hardly traweled throught the internet to gauge opinion, there are tons of posts lambasting them for being out of touch with the clubs and supporters, so why start now.
Maybe, just maybe JH was head and shoulders above the others and the choice was straightforward.

Are you joking? Its well known that the GaaBoard and other web pages have been mentioned in county board statements as well in the local newspapers.

What is discussed here is well read and talked about by everyone from former greats in the Red and Green to the county board. Dont cod yourself!  ;)

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2010, 09:41:25 AM
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt

Paul Jordan is origially from Kilmovee/Urluar. He was part of the great Urluar Soccer side that won the Mayo Cup in 86, 87, 90 and 93. Urluar were league champions in 1990. Urluar achieved FAI and Connacht cup runs in the late eighties. He was voted Mayo (Soccer) Player of the Year in 1990. He has amanged Snugboro United in the Super League.

He was a member of the Castlebar Mitchels team who won County in 1993 and Connacht finals, before losing the AI Club final in 1994 to Nemo Rangers. Was recently Manager of Castlebar Mitchels Senior side that lost in the knockout stage of the championship, earlier that day he had the distinction of playing in the Junior championship for mitchels second team. He recenly won a Masters AI with Mayo. He has been involved recently in training Mitchels underage as well as the Mayo Ladies in 2008.

I see he was a member of the infamous "Castlebar" team of the early nineties with hardly a Castlebar man in sight.

Tubberman

James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan

Tom Prendergast is also part of the backroom team, with responsibility for stats.
Tom is also from Ballintubber and was a star of the team that won an Intermediate title in 1990. He also played for Mayo juniors.
He has been part of the senior management setup for the past few years.

He is from the great Prendergast family - son of Murt(RIP), and a nephew of Ray (RIP) and Paddy.
He's also a first cousin of Mayo minor manager Tony Duffy.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on September 30, 2010, 10:01:58 AM
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan

Tom Prendergast is also part of the backroom team, with responsibility for stats.
Tom is also from Ballintubber and was a star of the team that won an Intermediate title in 1990. He also played for Mayo juniors.
He has been part of the senior management setup for the past few years.

He is from the great Prendergast family - son of Murt(RIP), and a nephew of Ray (RIP) and Paddy.
He's also a first cousin of Mayo minor manager Tony Duffy.

I think Tom Prendergast and Tony Duffy have Leinster Senior club championships with Ballyboden GAA in Dublin.

AbbeySider

James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan

Martin Connelly is a secondary school teacher and has a lot of club management experience in Mayo and had managed Westport, Burrishoole, Davitts and Rice College.

He won an intermediate title managing Westport and Burrishoole (I think).

I think he won Connacht Minor titles in with Mayo '73 & '74,
County and All-Ireland Club with Thomond College in 1978 and County U-21 and Intermediate titles with Davitt's.

Vastly experienced man on the ground in Mayo

boosabum

James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan

Lot of backroom staff, i hope they all travel in the same car to keep expenses down :D

Croí na hÉireann

Bollox anyway, another year of listening to the bluffer on the SG, would the Galway lads be interested???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: boosabum on September 30, 2010, 10:14:45 AM
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt 
Ed Coughlan

Lot of backroom staff, i hope they all travel in the same car to keep expenses down :D

Welcome to the board Mr Lambe.

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2010, 09:41:25 AM
James Nallen, 
Paul Jordan
Martin Connelly
Dr Seán Moffatt,
Joe Dawson (physio),
Paul O Grady
Liam Moffatt

Welcome to the board Mr Jordan, best of loook with the new job.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Martin Connolly also managed Davitts and was trainer to the Mayo minors in 1985, when they won the All-Ireland under the management of Mick Burke.

Liam Moffatt has a degree in sports science and I believe is taking the Dublin players. Ed Coughlan is, I believe, taking strength and conditioning. Paul O'Grady is a renowned physio at Mayo General. I assume Joe Dawson is a physio as well. Its a decent looking team.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year