Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on September 30, 2010, 12:20:59 AM
A big leap into the unknown, but all the best to Horan and his backroom team.

Who's taking over from him for the County final?

I d expect that Horan will stay in charge of Ballintubber as long as they are in the championship.

I don't think that it a big leap into the unknown. Tommy Lyons or Micko  would have been that. God knows what Lyons would d have done or who he would have let the board put with him.

When you think about it this is sensible and even conservative. Likes of James Nallen, Martin Connolly or Horan himself or anybody else on that team wont do anything stupid.

stephenite

There is a lack of experience of how to run the line at Inter county level - that in itself may not be a bad thing, but it's still a bit of an unknown. There is a huge diff between managing your club and your county.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 29, 2010, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: ildanach on September 29, 2010, 09:51:52 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 29, 2010, 09:40:34 PM
Best of luck to James Horan. The first League game is in Caisleán a'Bharraigh against Down. It seems fairly mouth-watering now.
where did you see the fixture list?

I didn't - someone rang me. I'm open to correction on it.

Wasn't aware of any League fixtures yet?

Cut me some slack on the League thing boys. If they're playing the Dallas Cowboys that's fine by me. This is a great night. So relieved. So happy.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on September 29, 2010, 11:45:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on September 29, 2010, 11:13:15 PM
I see the mayo news have him down as a New Zealander? whats his backround when did he move back etc?

Yeah. Born in NZ and could have been well weaned by the time his family came back. The local Tubber lads would know the day and time of course. I never say him play until the Galway league match in McHale Park in Autumn 95. He played 11. I ve no recollection of him playing Minor or U21 so he may have come to the game late enough so, 12 - 15 ? Interestingly he played a lot at no. 11 during the league and a lot thought him too slow and deliberate. He was much more effective at 12 later in the Summer but unfortunately we ended up without a number 11 at all, with Colm Mac playin as sweeper. Without much tweaking that team could have won a couple. It s more difficult now for Horan in the sense we don t have as strong a player as then and the bar has been raised since in training and tactics.

Born in New Zealand. Moved back to Ireland in the late 1970s I believe.

AbbeySider

Congrats to James and Tom, delighted for them and for Mayo football, as I think it was the right choice!  ;D

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on September 30, 2010, 12:46:52 AM
There is a lack of experience of how to run the line at Inter county level - that in itself may not be a bad thing, but it's still a bit of an unknown. There is a huge diff between managing your club and your county.

Likes of Connolly have been managing match situations for years. The stakes are higher but you can either do it or not. Not like we're used to high standards. At inter-county level as well you have, or should have, in a county like Mayo, players who are way above club level and better able to do what is asked of them. The managements job is to make sure they have that kind of player.

stephenite

Quote from: moysider on September 30, 2010, 01:12:13 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 30, 2010, 12:46:52 AM

Likes of Connolly have been managing match situations for years. The stakes are higher but you can either do it or not. Not like we're used to high standards. At inter-county level as well you have, or should have, in a county like Mayo, players who are way above club level and better able to do what is asked of them. The managements job is to make sure they have that kind of player.

The stakes were high for Maughan in 1996 and by his own admission he failed when the chips were down by failing to take into account what to do when leading with the clock running down-could he do it or could he not?

Managing match situations at club level is not always like for like compared to Inter county when the stakes are high.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: spuds on September 30, 2010, 12:55:04 AM
Yep, his grandad played for all blacks

Spuds. I've been meaning to ask you for ages - that quare wan in your avatar. Is it Mask, Corrib or Conn she's getting up out of?

spuds

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 30, 2010, 01:20:28 AM
Quote from: spuds on September 30, 2010, 12:55:04 AM
Yep, his grandad played for all blacks

Spuds. I've been meaning to ask you for ages - that quare wan in your avatar. Is it Mask, Corrib or Conn she's getting up out of?
She s a slippery slip of a thing from lough carra
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

O lads this is fantastic news, I'm delighted. I couldn't believe it when I got the text. Lads suddenly I have been raised from the depths of depression, MAYO 4 SAM 2011, only messing, ha ha happy out, time to move forward. We are the Green and Red.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bod Mor

Good stuff, best of luck to Horan. It will be interesting to see what kind of a team he takes to New York.

At least we have something to look forward to now for 2011. The league should be used to experiment etc..
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Fantastic news and best of luck to James.

I do not doubt but that the comments by supporters by ourselves on blogs and boards like this did have an influence in persuading the Board that they would not be able to push through Tommy Lyons.

It is still a risk but there is a huge amount of goodwill for James and that is a great starting point. He will be low-key and needs time and space and judgement should only begin after next Summer.

JMohan

Well done.
Great decision.
I'm delighted you didn't pick Lyons - for your own sake.
In fact, if I'm honest, I'm amazed you didn't as that's what I expected from the CB

As someone pointed out above the key thing here with the success will be the strength of the backroom team and the way they can pull together.

Best of luck

rrhf

Seems like a welcome decisiion so well done.  What in under God are ye going to talk about now though - a new jersey design?