Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Lar Naparka

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 22, 2010, 11:47:35 AM

An august body of men perhaps, but in those five I see enough to see Tommy Lyons as the next Mayo manager. I hoped this wouldn't happen but I think it is what's in front of us now. Get your money on him if you want to feel any way better about it.

Arrah, I dunno what's going to happen next- I suspect the Good Lord is feeling the very same as I am at the moment. Logic and Mayo football were always uneasy bedfellows.
I would have expected that Maughan would have graciously withdrawn from the race if it became obvious to him that there was going to be a real contest. Right now, he is the candidate with the highest profile and consequently the one most likely to be embarrassed if he fails to be appointed.
I have seen or heard no evidence whatever to suggest that any of the candidates still in the running has been given a guarantee of any sort. So,
if we really have a bona fide process in place, Sir John just might not be the Appointed One.
But I don't think he'd take too kindly to the role of the Disappointed One either. If it all depends on a face to face interview, a CV and an outline of proposals, Maughan knows very well that he brings as many negatives as positives with him and he really shouldn't be over-confident about the outcome.
For better or worse, I feel we're about to get Maughan, Mark Three.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

As a matter of interest, what do Chairman James Waldron, Treasurer JP Lambe and Youth Officer Pádraic Walsh know about football ? Would they have the confidence of the fans ?
Nothing to do with Mayo, more GAA com-mitt-ees in general. If they don't feel comfortable interviewing and they haven'^t played fuball in the last 10-12 years what do they bring to the table ?   

GAA_Punter

Betting suspended on Lyons for Mayo Football manager

Bookmakers John Mulholland have been inundated with requests for Mayo manager on Tommy Lyons at 6/1; They halved him into 3/1 before suspending the betting as it didn't stop there. With a committee meeting taking place last night to arrange interviews of the four remaining candidates, it would now appear Tommy Lyons is the main candidate and the punters choice .

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: GAA_Punter on September 22, 2010, 03:49:56 PM

Bookmakers John Mulholland have been inundated with requests for Mayo manager on Tommy Lyons at 6/1; They halved him into 3/1 before suspending the betting as it didn't stop there. With a committee meeting taking place last night to arrange interviews of the four remaining candidates, it would now appear Tommy Lyons is the main candidate and the punters choice .

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/09/22/betting-suspended-on-lyons-for-mayo-football-manager/

That should get them going again. ;D

Tubberman

Well this is just going to be inspiring for everyone - players and supporters alike will be giddy with excitement at the prospects of the cutting edge techniques that Tommy Lyons will bring with him from the RTE couch.
Oh yes, the good times are back  ::)

At least the media will be happy - he'll give great interviews.....

If he does get it I'll wish him good luck, but I just hope this interview panel are willing to look beyond someone who gives them the easy answers they want to hear "sure there's nothing wrong with football in Mayo, just needs a fresh voice and the hop of a ball in their favour"
They should be willing to listen to a few things that aren't as easy to hear. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2010, 04:15:26 PM

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/09/22/betting-suspended-on-lyons-for-mayo-football-manager/

Will a few of us Mayo lads start up a Galway manager thread for ye, so ye can concentrate on the shambles ye have on your own side of the border??  :D ;)

Farrandeelin

Sweet Jesus if you're out there NO NO NO! :-[ :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 22, 2010, 11:47:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2010, 12:11:24 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 21, 2010, 10:47:23 PM
"Interview board for Mayo Senior manager announced, James Waldron, JP Lambe, Padraic Walsh, Denis O'Boyle, John Farragher," according to the Mayo Advertiser's Colm Gannon on Twitter.

Is that good or bad?

Who do you want them to appoint Iolar? What would be good and what would be bad? They can only select from what s in front of them now anyway. They are an august body of men who are unlikely to do anything rash. But they could hardly do anything rash with what s in front of them.

An august body of men perhaps, but in those five I see enough to see Tommy Lyons as the next Mayo manager. I hoped this wouldn't happen but I think it is what's in front of us now. Get your money on him if you want to feel any way better about it.

looks like a lot of people took your advice r&g
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GAA_Punter

Quote from: Tubberman on September 22, 2010, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2010, 04:15:26 PM

looks like Fahy will be getting the Galway job

Will a few of us Mayo lads start up a Galway manager thread for ye, so ye can concentrate on the shambles ye have on your own side of the border??  :D ;)

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 22, 2010, 04:31:11 PM

Sweet Jesus if you're out there NO NO NO! :-[ :-\

:D :D :D :D. And we thought Micko would be a circus. Funny how things go.

the Deel Rover

it will be a decision to please the masses, the other 31 counties will be happy one less gobshite to listen to on a sunday night
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Chimley

Is the Dublin money talking again? I think that it can only be something like this that has catapulted him to the top of the class. God knows, any time I have seen him comment on Mayo matches he has hardly looked like a Mayo fan. I may be doing the man a dis-service there but I never sensed any passion for the green and red. I do think he did some good work with Offaly back in the day but and its a big but that was a long time ago.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Chimley on September 22, 2010, 04:50:45 PM
Is the Dublin money talking again? I think that it can only be something like this that has catapulted him to the top of the class. God knows, any time I have seen him comment on Mayo matches he has hardly looked like a Mayo fan. I may be doing the man a dis-service there but I never sensed any passion for the green and red.

Sure he's always blowing about how he's got relatives back in Ballindine, Ballintubber or Ballyhaunis or the like. He's mentioned it enough times on the telly anyway.

Can't be a bad thing if it gets him off The Sunday Game though.

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2010, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 22, 2010, 04:50:45 PM
Is the Dublin money talking again? I think that it can only be something like this that has catapulted him to the top of the class. God knows, any time I have seen him comment on Mayo matches he has hardly looked like a Mayo fan. I may be doing the man a dis-service there but I never sensed any passion for the green and red.

Sure he's always blowing about how he's got relatives back in Ballindine, Ballintubber or Ballyhaunis or the like. He's mentioned it enough times on the telly anyway.

Can't be a bad thing if it gets him off The Sunday Game though.

:o How DARE you

AZOffaly