Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

fearglasmor

Time to dust off the aul neutron diet again.  Worked wonders for Tom Coffey.

mannix

i heard there is going to be a novena and other prayers in Knock to save us all from "the pundit".All are advised to stare at the sun.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: mannix on September 22, 2010, 05:28:41 PM
i heard there is going to be a novena and other prayers in Knock to save us all from "the pundit".All are advised to stare at the sun.

:D :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mannix on September 22, 2010, 05:28:41 PM

Joe Coleman is coming to Knock on Saturday so maybe that's your answer!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Why not just offer Coleman the job then. Mayo managers have been livin in a fantasy world of their own for years.

rosnarun

Mayo could do a lot worse than get a fully committed Tommy Lyons.
He is a great manager by all account and I think the whole point of the Nutron diet thing was to give the team a greater sense of shared purpose . and it worked he got a very average Offaly team to Win a leinster title. Any fool can train and get a team Fit . But to get them to go that extra yard some time take something a bit different
Maybe Tommy can provide that.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

joemamas

Quote from: rosnarun on September 22, 2010, 08:37:06 PM
Mayo could do a lot worse than get a fully committed Tommy Lyons.
He is a great manager by all account and I think the whole point of the Nutron diet thing was to give the team a greater sense of shared purpose . and it worked he got a very average Offaly team to Win a leinster title. Any fool can train and get a team Fit . But to get them to go that extra yard some time take something a bit different
Maybe Tommy can provide that.

Surely you jest !

fearglasmor

I think it would be a very different scenario in Mayo than in Offaly.
In fairness they were actually better than an average bunch of players. Offaly had played in U21 AI finals in 86 and 88, winning in 88 and won leinster u21 in 1995.  But they were operating in Div 4 when Lyons took over. the only way was up.
I agree though that the nutron thing was a brilliant tool to change things.

Mayo ar a very different prospect as Dublin were also.

AZOffaly

In fairness the neutron diet worked with them because the diets before that were more grain based.

And when I say grain, I mean grain such as barley, mixed with malt, yeast and hops and served in 16oz glasses.

fearglasmor

I remember at the time I even tried that neutron diet myself. Had me blood tests and got me list of banned foods.
It was my introduction to pints of cider. I would never touch it before but beer was on the banned list and cider was not.
Havent recovered since.

IolarCoisCuain

I'd be taking that betting suspended on Tommy Lyons story with a good big pinch of salt.

You might remember that Mulholland's also suspended betting on Billy Morgan being the next Galway manager too. He won't be. After all they spend on Big Joe, the Galway Board are now getting three cups out of each teabag. They don't have the sponds to pay another mercenary. Good times are over.

So why did Mulholland's suspend betting on Billy? Because advertising in the papers costs money, but kite-flying like this is free. See Michael O'Leary was in the papers all summer with one-pilot planes, standing room only planes, no bogs on the plane? Free advertising. The better bettor fancies a cut of the free advertising too. I doubt they've seen tuppence on Tommy Lyons this week.

I must say I'm damned if I can figure out where this momentum behind Lyons is coming from, unless Lyons is attached to a big ball of sponsorship money. If he's not, there's no argument for him. If he is, and the Board reckons money is more important than winning, well - who are Connacht playing this weekend? We're all going to have to learn to love quick ruck ball.  :'(

moysider

There may well be a ball of money following Lyons and our treasurer is on the interview panel and will try to take care of business if that is the case. Better a bride with a dowry - a laying hen if you like - than a penniless big spender.

It was rumoured at the time that our chairman was in favour of a Micko appointment. If so he may well back Lyons over Maughan also. Especially if Lyons comes with money. Significantly Maughan's biggest supporter on the Ex. is not on the interview board. Horan not having his clubman there lessens his chance too you would expect.

JMohan

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2010, 09:36:07 PM
In fairness the neutron diet worked with them because the diets before that were more grain based.

And when I say grain, I mean grain such as barley, mixed with malt, yeast and hops and served in 16oz glasses.

Wow! that's a blast from the past ...!

Someone made money on that one!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 22, 2010, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 22, 2010, 11:47:35 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 22, 2010, 12:11:24 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 21, 2010, 10:47:23 PM
"Interview board for Mayo Senior manager announced, James Waldron, JP Lambe, Padraic Walsh, Denis O'Boyle, John Farragher," according to the Mayo Advertiser's Colm Gannon on Twitter.

Is that good or bad?

Who do you want them to appoint Iolar? What would be good and what would be bad? They can only select from what s in front of them now anyway. They are an august body of men who are unlikely to do anything rash. But they could hardly do anything rash with what s in front of them.

An august body of men perhaps, but in those five I see enough to see Tommy Lyons as the next Mayo manager. I hoped this wouldn't happen but I think it is what's in front of us now. Get your money on him if you want to feel any way better about it.

looks like a lot of people took your advice r&g

Pity I didn't take it myself!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year