Is K McGeeney over rated as a Manager???

Started by Rossfan, June 05, 2010, 10:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Anyone can drive a car after a few lessons, most people could never manage an IC team regardless of the training so we shouldn't labour small counties with the task of not only producing players but also managers to compete with the bigger counties.

Logan

Not knocking anyone personally, but the question has to be asked I guess.

I just wondering how much or is too much focus being put on physical qualities rather than skill and tactics.

You would also have to ask about the type and nature of training with that litany of injuries. 

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Goats Do Shave

kieran mcgeeney doesn't smile - he frowns 180 degrees more!

Applesisapples

Quote from: INDIANA on June 06, 2010, 11:02:02 AM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 06, 2010, 10:43:26 AM
It's not McGeeney that is over rated as a manager, its the team, like Mayo that are over rated. 
There was no bite in that Kildare team last night except for maybe one player who on one occasion gave the clenched fist and urged his mates to get stuck in, other than that they were like they were having a kick around on a training ground.

Mayo no doubt will be looking for the head of John O Mahoney and yet all that was proven last night was that you can't buy All-Irelands by hiring whizz kids, or in the case of Limerick hurling a few years ago, with €5 Million from JP McManus. We even tried it in Laois by hiring Micko at huge financial cost.

That is not to say McGeeney is at fault, there is a place for McGeeney because he has credentials. That place is in one of the conference centres in Croke Park along with Brian Cody and Micko where a full training course on team management is provided for every county.  Pay them, pay them well.  Then every county can get expert advice on training, psycology, diet etc, etc, etc - after which each county must have a manager from their own county instead of these hired heavy hitters that can give counties with most sponsorship/money an unfair advantage, until some plucky team like Louth come along and then all of a sudden it is the managers fault.
Bud he has playing credentials not managerial credentials. There is a difference. A big difference.
The management don't like smaller players it seems in Kildare and have gone for the Armagh 2002 model which is outdated now.
Can't agree with you there, Armagh fans would love their team to be where Kildare are, they play good football.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Cde on June 06, 2010, 01:31:27 PM
All is not well in the Kildare camp.  A few of the players not getting on with Mc Geeney and are not happy with his methods.

Heard this at the start of the year and it is getting worse
Urban myth, you hear this about Tyrone/Armagh/Kerry all county teams, theres always someone disaffected.

Beard

One thing he might need to look at is the way he conducts the warm up before the game. Kildare have made a poor start to nearly every game, particuarly against Derry and Meath, and I think it my be down to the over eloborate warm ups that they do.

I have played under coaches who seem to believe that you need to get your second wind before the start of a game and I think it is complete bollix to be honest.

I have great time for K McG and Kildare but Down are not the type of team you want to give a five or a six point head start to.

eireogatron

i have to laugh at the majority on this thread. a month ago it was "madness" to even have appointed McGeeney, then it was the team that was the problem, now his warm ups are crap.

He's guided an unfancied team, who everyone thought only had one scoring threat to the AI semis and I think they're the highest scorers in this years championship.

Any chance of somebody giving the fella some credit? He is long overdue it by some on this forum. Hes done a great job and they have as good a chance as any of lifting Sam now.

Link

Quote from: eireogatron on August 02, 2010, 12:08:36 PM
i have to laugh at the majority on this thread. a month ago it was "madness" to even have appointed McGeeney, then it was the team that was the problem, now his warm ups are crap.

He's guided an unfancied team, who everyone thought only had one scoring threat to the AI semis and I think they're the highest scorers in this years championship.

Any chance of somebody giving the fella some credit? He is long overdue it by some on this forum. Hes done a great job and they have as good a chance as any of lifting Sam now.

I would say McGeeney doesn't give two flying f**ks about credit or being overated/underated.

All Ireland Semi Final says it all.

maddog

Well said. And i hope they do go on to lift it.

Beard

Quote from: maddog on August 02, 2010, 12:36:10 PM

Well said. And i hope they do go on to lift it.

I believe he deserves huge credit for what he has achieved and I hope they win the AI. However the great managers are able to change things, even when the team are playing well and getting results, in order to get that extra 10% which is needed to go and win the AI.

If K Mc G can figure out why Kildare are so slow out of the blocks, even if it involves changing something he truely believes in, I think Kildare have every chance. If they keep going the way they are going I think they will be caught by a teams like Down or Dublin, who traditionally thrive on momentum and goals.

Qwerty28

Anyone notice the motivational phrases on their warm up tops, like "No excuses" etc.

Think their new one should be "Do it for Dermot" if hes to miss remainder of championship

Canalman

Personally have great time for him. A very good manager imo. Don't forget also that Kildare have great young talent coming through and more to come in the near future.

leenie

nothing to do with football i was wondering if he has a woman? not that he would be my taste but i couldn't imagine being with some one if they never smiled.. how would ya know when he was happy?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..