Any protestants play GAA in the north?

Started by Chris agus Snoop, May 26, 2010, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris agus Snoop

I'm from Cork so I wouldn't know, but there seems to be a few N I posters on here so i'll ask: Is there any sort of movement from the protestant community towards taking part in GAA in the north? Or is still considered taboo? Would catholic GAA people have a problem if a protestant started training with their club?

stpauls

we already have one or two with our club, one of them used to play and is now manager of the U-14 squad. we also have a couple of policemen playing for us!

haranguerer

Just to pre-empt the Darren Graham affair (a prod lad who was given abuse about it in a championship game in an attempt to get him to react;made all the papers): he was back playing two or three weeks after said incident, and continues to do so.

Chris, no-one up here would have any problems with a prod training with them - the vast majority would go out of their way to be welcoming. Dunno where you're getting the notion that there would be a problem. You've hardly been reading the News Letter, have ye?

bingobus

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 26, 2010, 10:48:44 AM
I'm from Cork so I wouldn't know, but there seems to be a few N I posters on here so i'll ask: Is there any sort of movement from the protestant community towards taking part in GAA in the north? Or is still considered taboo? Would catholic GAA people have a problem if a protestant started training with their club?

Depends if he was any good or not  ;)

the colonel

Played at University in Scotland with a good few, one even started the Rangers Supporters Club in the University. He actually turned out to become our club secretary. The Glentoran goalkeeper at the minute James Taylor also played for us in the University Championships. No bother with them or any other protestants
the difference between success and failure is energy

Chris agus Snoop

Thats great to know. I personally think  its brilliant that protestants are involved in playing GAA.
But you'd hear things from unionist politicians who try to politicize the GAA, I could see how that would discourage them.

Down South

There will be at least one protestant playing in Ballybofey on Sunday.

sammymaguire

bit of a side issue but some of them foreign lads could potentially make great footballers, some of them are massive, its the ball skills which would be the key
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

the colonel

We have a Polish fella playing for our junior hurlers, been scoring at least a goal per game, sometimes more. Beast of a man, he is engaged to a daughter from a strong hurling family and after watching for a few years he decided to give it a go.
the difference between success and failure is energy

haranguerer

Quote from: Down South on May 26, 2010, 12:42:00 PM
There will be at least one protestant playing in Ballybofey on Sunday.

Thats nothing - sure there'll be thousands of them playing in Rossnowlagh in July  :P :D

fer fox ache

I run the minor team in my club and we have two Protestant lads in our squad one starts at corner-back and another who's made a few substitute appearances. Not the best kick-passers you'll ever see but great hands, strong in breaking tackles and balls of steel when it comes to winning breaking ball. There's a mixed Grammar School in the town and a lot of our lads play rugby at school, come the summer we tend to get the odd fella who fancies a go at the football and comes along with his mates, most them seem to enjoy it.

Hardy

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on May 26, 2010, 10:48:44 AM

When was it taboo ? ? ?

And what kind of problem would "catholic GAA people" have with "protestants" training with their club?

I didn't know there were categories of GAA people (other than the categories the GPA are trying to introduce). And certainly not categories based on religion. How would people know individual members were "protestants", anyway? I don't think anybody gets asked, so labelling somebody as "protestant" can only be an assumption.

Likewise for catholics, or any other religious grouping. If national demographics are anything to go by, a substantial proportion of GAA members are atheists.

Donegal Danny

And the one player playing in Ballybofey on Sunday is not from Down. A great hockey player in his youth. Still gets plenty of slagging about the Hockey

Ceart agus Cóir

Hardy you would be lieing if you were to be disregarding it as a taboo. We all know the history, and clearly there is strong foundational element of nationalism within the Cumann Luthchleas Gael.

But its great to see protestants play. Shows the sport is earning it's respect as a sport rather than a political symbol! I feel that over the next 20 years the GAA will transform the cluichí, with the great work underage being done across primary schools encouraging all types of race and religions to participate!

eireogatron

was Peter Withnell who won the AI with Down not a protestant??

We've had a few come and train with us over the last few years. Its still a taboo thing in alot of protestant households (and GAA clubs if truth be told), and I'd be surprised if we ever see a widespread growth in the number of protestants playing our games. Similarly we wont see a great deal of Catholics in the North playing hockey for example - unless this becomes part of the schools system on both sides.

On the subject of immigrants playing GAA games, in the near future we will see a massive increase in this I believe. With an ever increasing number of immigrant children going to mainstream Catholic schools all over the country, its only a matter of time before they integrate into the GAA family, which I think is a great thing. Promotion of GAA across Europe and the globe can only happen when non-Irish citizens become actively involved.