Any protestants play GAA in the north?

Started by Chris agus Snoop, May 26, 2010, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Ceart agus Cóir on May 26, 2010, 03:00:05 PM
Hardy you would be lieing if you were to be disregarding it as a taboo. We all know the history, and clearly there is strong foundational element of nationalism within the Cumann Luthchleas Gael.

There was never sectarianism. Nationalism ≠ catholicism.

thejuice

I might be an athiest but I'm still catholic.

Its good to know that there are a number of protestants taking up the game.

I wonder would it be worth putting a number on it and sticking it under the nose of Mr McCausland.

In regards SammyMaguires point, theres a young lad named Sam Ogungbe for Nobber who's showing a lot of promise. Could be lining out in the Green and Gold in the next 10 years or so.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

eireogatron

Denn Forever

Posted this a while back.  Hopefully it will go on and on.

Well done everyone involved.

Gaelic Games Unites Communities

Enniskillen Cúchulainns were today crowned as Champions of Ulster GAA's cross community Gaelic Football Tournament which was held in the Mid Ulster Sports Arena in Cookstown.  The Enniskillen side beat off strong competition from Armagh Cúchulainns in the final.

Four teams competed in the cross-community tournament: Lurgan-Armagh, Dungannon, Magherafelt and Enniskillen.  All teams were made up of players from a mixture of schools from the controlled and maintained sectors.

Today's tournament is an extension to Ulster GAA's pioneering cross community Initiative, which brings together young people from a range of backgrounds who have little or no experience participating in Gaelic Games.

The initiative is backed by the 'Unite Against Hate' Campaign which embraces the Northern Ireland Assembly's vision for the future as:  "A peaceful, inclusive, prosperous, stable and fair society firmly founded on the achievement of reconciliation, tolerance, and mutual trust and the protection and vindication of human rights for all".

Presenting the winning side with the Cúchulainn Football Cup, Ulster GAA Provincial Secretary Danny Murphy said, "Ulster GAA is very proud of this flagship cross-community initiative – the Cúchulainn Cup.  When we first set out to develop this initiative we hoped that it would bring together young people from all sections of our community to experience and enjoy Gaelic Games and to break down barriers through sport.  That hope is now been realised with the Cúchulainn Initiative continuing to grow from strength to strength.  The tournament is also about raising awareness and respect of Gaelic Games and the Association to those from non-GAA backgrounds.

"All the lads who participated in this year's football and hurling tournament, are playing their part in building a better society, breaking down barriers and promoting good relations.  I commend all the schools and teachers involved who have made this possible, and I also pay tribute to the parents and families of the young men who are taking part, and the young men themselves.

"A hearty congratulations to the Enniskillen Cúchulainns who proved to be a strong side throughout the competition and who came away today as victors."

Teams competing in 2010 Cúchulainn Football Cup were:

■Enniskillen Cúchulainns
■Armagh-Lurgan Cúchulainns
■Dungannon Cúchulainns
■Magherafelt Cúchulainns
All teams received free coaching from Ulster GAA Coaches and County Coaches
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

eireogatron

Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2010, 05:01:29 PM
Quote from: eireogatron on May 26, 2010, 03:22:49 PM
Sam Ogungbe from Nobber?

Yes, Sam Ogungbe from Nobber.
that has to be the best name / club combo in the history of the GAA. Nobber has a new fan.

thejuice

Well he might actually be from Kilmainham Wood, but sure its his choice if he wants to play for Nobber.

dec

Quote from: Hardy on May 26, 2010, 02:13:26 PMHow would people know individual members were "protestants", anyway? I don't think anybody gets asked, so labelling somebody as "protestant" can only be an assumption.
Knowing whether someone is a prod or a taig is the national sport of the six counties.

dec

Quote from: Hardy on May 26, 2010, 03:09:42 PM
Quote from: Ceart agus Cóir on May 26, 2010, 03:00:05 PM
Hardy you would be lieing if you were to be disregarding it as a taboo. We all know the history, and clearly there is strong foundational element of nationalism within the Cumann Luthchleas Gael.

There was never sectarianism. Nationalism ≠ catholicism.

Not overtly, but there is sometimes the assumption that everyone involved with a club is Catholic, for example whenever club celebrations or a pitch opening include a celebration of mass.

Bord na Mona man

People being so pass remarkable about what religion someone is will hardly encourage sporting ecumenism.

5 Sams

There's plenty of lads who won AI medals and they werent catholics...in Kerry and Meath especially ...but at the end of the day who gives a flying f**k what they are...in Down we'll take muslims, hindus...whatever...as long as there's a full back among them ::)
The Aristocrat Years

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2010, 05:07:34 PM
Well he might actually be from Kilmainham Wood, but sure its his choice if he wants to play for Nobber.
:D :D :D :D
Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
I might be an athiest but I'm still catholic.

Its good to know that there are a number of protestants taking up the game.

I wonder would it be worth putting a number on it and sticking it under the nose of Mr McCausland.

In regards SammyMaguires point, theres a young lad named Sam Ogungbe for Nobber who's showing a lot of promise. Could be lining out in the Green and Gold in the next 10 years or so.
An athiest catholic?

Ulick

Hardy is correct, you are asking the wrong question. There are lots of Protestants playing GAA in the north but what would be more pertinent would  be to know the amount of unionists that play. I'd suspect very low.

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014