Any protestants play GAA in the north?

Started by Chris agus Snoop, May 26, 2010, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topo d rite

Ogungbe from Nobber!!! Jeez isn't Nobber a fierce strange name!!!! ;)

Looking forward to the gene pool of the GAA being enriched with all races and creeds, can only be a good thing!! Think about it, a russian gymnast in goal, a couple of maoris in the spine of the the team, 2 tall poles in midfield, an Ethiopian in the Dooher role, and a Kerry forward line!!!! Oops, we'll just have to find a way to get the Kery folk to scatter the seed around a bit more!!

rosnarun

Quote from: topo d rite on May 26, 2010, 11:54:21 PM

Looking forward to the gene pool of the GAA being enriched with all races and creeds, can only be a good thing!! Think about it, a russian gymnast in goal, a couple of maoris in the spine of the the team, 2 tall poles in midfield, an Ethiopian in the Dooher role, and a Kerry forward line!!!! Oops, we'll just have to find a way to get the Kery folk to scatter the seed around a bit more!!
what a racist post MODS MODS
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ballinaman

Quote from: rosnarun on May 27, 2010, 12:34:48 AM

"2 tall poles in the midfield" is a decent pun it's got to be said...

stephenite

Quote from: trileacman on May 26, 2010, 11:38:59 PM
Quote from: thejuice on May 26, 2010, 03:16:32 PM
I might be an athiest but I'm still catholic.
How does that work?

+1, I'm exicted to learn about this new philosophy. I can feel my life chaning already - doors opening that were hitherto shut in my atheist face.... 'I don't believe, but I do'

PatDaly

Quote from: stephenite on May 27, 2010, 12:56:06 AM
How does that work?

+1, I'm exicted to learn about this new philosophy. I can feel my life chaning already - doors opening that were hitherto shut in my atheist face.... 'I don't believe, but I do'

Is this the clarification that you're looking for?

Dara Ó Briain has said he sees himself as an atheist, but "ethnically Catholic": "I'm staunchly atheist, I simply don't believe in God. But I'm still Catholic, of course.[16] Catholicism has a much broader reach than just the religion. I'm technically Catholic, it's the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don't believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.'"[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_%C3%93_Briain

stephenite

Quote from: PatDaly on May 27, 2010, 03:48:08 AM
Quote from: stephenite on May 27, 2010, 12:56:06 AM
How does that work?

Is this the clarification that you're looking for?

Dara Ó Briain has said he sees himself as an atheist, but "ethnically Catholic": "I'm staunchly atheist, I simply don't believe in God. But I'm still Catholic, of course.[16] Catholicism has a much broader reach than just the religion. I'm technically Catholic, it's the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don't believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.'"[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dara_%C3%93_Briain

Dara O'Briain wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

I disagree with the point thought, even if it is made in jest. I was born into a religion and raised in that religion until I became a young adult and made the decision to stop. Once I stopped, I don't believe that I can still be called that which I no longer practice.
I no longer believe in God - I no longer receive the sacraments - how can I still be a catholic?

Ethically Catholic is a complete nonsense - how does that differ from the ethical protestants I wonder? And if you don't believe in God and still hate Rangers you're more likely to be an idiot than have any valid opinions on the subject.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

eireogatron

i think the more important question on the atheism / catholicism debate is.

Who gives a ducks trump?

talktothehand

we used to have quite a few protestants on our underage teams when i was u16/minor. we had a Uel, a Roy and a Duncan on our team. when my dad was flaunting the ban in the 1970s his rugby mates played gaelic under assumed names. he did the reverse in rugby season.

cornafean

Quote from: rosnarun on May 27, 2010, 12:34:48 AM

I can't find anything remotely racist about it. Its a fact of life that certain nationalities are well known for their abilities in various areas of sport.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

sammymaguire

them Ethopians couldn't kick snow of a rope!!  :D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Rav67

Friends with a Protestant girl who's very into GAA and has played camogie in the north and down south for a while when she was living there.  She had some close relations in the RUC but definitely regards herself as a nationalist.  Said she felt a fair bit of hostility initially from quite a few on the team but won most of them over after playing for a year or 2.  When she played south of the border there was never any hostility, a bit of banter but it was all very good-natured.

armaghniac

Some of the people here would give you a hard time if you voted SDLP.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mickeys beard

As I see it, the North and the rest of the island aren't a million miles apart when you talk about protestant participation in GAA. I live in Limerick and Many of my Protestant friends there weren't exactly encouraged to play GAA at school.  Hockey, rugby and soccer were definitely the top sports in these schools along with athletics.  A very good friend of mine went to Croke Parkfor the first time last year, only because his girll is from Kilkenny. He is 25.  He, and my other Protestant friends have not a notion of the rules of the GAA.  It is alien to them.  Have they been shielded from it as children?  In fact, I believe that Catholics and Protestants in the North have much more in common than their southern counterparts. 
      So, I would wonder if the original question was asked for the whole island would there be much of a difference? Some people allude to some egalitarian utopian state south of the border that just doesn't exist.  Mistrust between different communities stretches back a long time and unfortunately sets up unspoken rules that can take centuries to unravel.  The political threat in the North is now gone, but I can't see how it will make a huge difference unless schools promote the sport on an equal par with others.  A bit like hurling in Tyrone!   
Boil the Drawers!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stephenite on May 27, 2010, 04:07:54 AM
Ethically Catholic is a complete nonsense...

EthNically, not ethically. Big difference, but maybe still bollix to you  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...