LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

"
Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 03:25:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on May 25, 2010, 02:59:26 PM
Die for someone else's ideals - would you care to explain?

The ten men who died on the 1981 hunger strike, were allowed to die by the republican leadership, to further a political objective. They did not die as they believed, in search of political status or for their demands. Towards the end of the strike, the families, those closest to the men who were dying began to see through everything and pulled them off the strike one by one and a deal was reached. I believe a deal could have been reached much sooner, but that did not suit certain people.
I have the up most respect for each of the men who died, not just as republicans but as human beings. They had nothing else to give, so they gave their lives for something they believed in.
I do not know a lot about Liam Hannaway. I assume he is a cousin on Gerry's mothers side of the family, I think she was a Hannaway. His death will be used to further someone else's cause, however misguided or ill informed. If anyone was interested in Liam Hannaways well being, this matter which is really quite trivial, could be sorted out before lock up is called this evening.
Gerry Adams is one of the most powerful men in the north. Are you seriously trying to tell me that he could not exert some influence, be that through political means within the NIO or through his republican family connections to try to broker a deal. This is his own family we are talking about. Never mind calling a decent solicitor and getting the matter before the courts.
Bobby Sands famously said something along the lines of "everyone, republican or otherwise has his/her own part to play" Have republicans in the north forgot those words? Can no one play their part and save this mans life? Are we really going to allow a man to die simply because he is in the wrong cell?

I have highlighted two parts of your quote which are remarkably contradictory. As someone who regards the Hunger Strikers as my heroes I must challenge you on that. Unless you can provide specific proof (something which Ed Maloney couldn't do when he initially came up with this argument) then you should not be presenting at as truth. Perhaprs you should be using the words "I believe" more often instead.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 10:42:21 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 25, 2010, 10:33:51 AM
I am a firm supporter of Sinn Fein strategy regarding the peace process, I believe that we are on the right road to an equal and shared society where all our children can live in harmony. Although everything with this powersharing agreement does not sit easy with me, its definitely a better option than conflict in the 21st century we live in. There is still a rotten core to the British establishment and it exists at the top level and I fear that the torys will recruit more RIRA than arrest, they are so young in my community its scary. A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds. I feel Liams situation needs to be addressed now and the Sinn fein leadership should show their people that they can still support a republican getting a raw deal irrespective of his back ground, we cannot walk on egg shell around the unionists on every aspect.

Fair play.

He's still an Irish man.

A relative of SF leader Gerry Adams.

Dissident republican / mainstream republican or anywhere in between, we can't and shouldn't have any more Irish men dying on hunger strike in British jails.

We don't want history repeating itself. Something should be done about it.
Irish jails.  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2010, 06:53:37 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2010, 10:42:21 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 25, 2010, 10:33:51 AM
I am a firm supporter of Sinn Fein strategy regarding the peace process, I believe that we are on the right road to an equal and shared society where all our children can live in harmony. Although everything with this powersharing agreement does not sit easy with me, its definitely a better option than conflict in the 21st century we live in. There is still a rotten core to the British establishment and it exists at the top level and I fear that the torys will recruit more RIRA than arrest, they are so young in my community its scary. A lot of the diss Republicans have been labelled scumbags, traitors etc by all areas of our community, but over this struggle for 500 years they are merely 20 years behind our Deputy first minister in their theory of thinking, why hasnt there been a mass offensive to try and educate these people and their young minds. I feel Liams situation needs to be addressed now and the Sinn fein leadership should show their people that they can still support a republican getting a raw deal irrespective of his back ground, we cannot walk on egg shell around the unionists on every aspect.

Fair play.

He's still an Irish man.

A relative of SF leader Gerry Adams.

Dissident republican / mainstream republican or anywhere in between, we can't and shouldn't have any more Irish men dying on hunger strike in British jails.

We don't want history repeating itself. Something should be done about it.
Irish jails.  ;)

Irish jails ?

Maguire01

Well they're Irish jails if you consider that they fall under the P&J powers devolved to the Assembly. And if they're not Irish, then SF are administering British rule. And many are at pains to say that they aren't.

Myles Na G.

The prison in which Hannaway is held is on the island of Ireland. It is staffed, in the main, by men and women from the island of Ireland. It is controlled by a local administration of Irishmen and women, voted into office by Irish voters. The political prisoners held there are being held for offences committed against the people of Ireland.

So why is it a British jail?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2010, 07:40:07 PM
The prison in which Hannaway is held is on the island of Ireland. It is staffed, in the main, by men and women from the island of Ireland. It is controlled by a local administration of Irishmen and women, voted into office by Irish voters. The political prisoners held there are being held for offences committed against the people of Ireland.

Because the Brits are paying for it.

Google "Barnett Formula", if it helps (though the rest of your point stands)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Maguire01

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 25, 2010, 07:52:26 PM

Google "Barnett Formula", if it helps (though the rest of your point stands)
The English are paying for it, given that Scotland, Wales and NI are all heavily subsidised by the UK Exchequer. Therefore if finance is your only yardstick, it's an English jail.

seafoid

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 25, 2010, 07:52:26 PM

the Brits pay 20,000GBP per dyed green in the wool republican family in norn Irn including the most rabid Shinners and 32 county sovereign children but that does not make those people Brutush.

ardmhachaabu

one dissident arsehole is not worth even 1 page, never mind 7
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Nally Stand

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 25, 2010, 09:15:49 PM
one dissident arsehole is not worth even 1 page, never mind 7

It's not up to me to disprove any false accusation you throw at me on this board ardmhaca. Therfore I demand that unless you prove I am a liar, you retract your statement.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ardmhachaabu

You stupid fcuker.

You made false claims about me so I called you a liar.  It's up to you to prove that what you said about me is correct, you can't do that though because you are a f**king liar.

Gabshite
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

NS, can you get over this or bring it to PMs? I'm sure I'm not the only one bored of this.