LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens abu

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 01:13:07 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on May 25, 2010, 09:21:51 AM
Minder,what about the beatings and the fact that they sometimes go 24-48 hours without food and days without washing.Do you approve of that too?

The above is absolute nonsense. Prisoners are fed 3 times a say and get a snack for supper every evening. Even the man who is on hunger strike will be offered food, probably better food than the others. Prisoners also have a toilet and sink in their cells, while a sink is not perfect for washing, it will do until they get access to a shower.
I think everyone of us need to ask why this isn't headline news. Gerry Adams brother was headline news for weeks/months over child abuse allegations, that are as yet unproven. His cousin has been on hunger strike and the first I heard of it was on a poster on a telegraph pole, I then read it here and only realised who it was. Why is this man being ignored? Why haven't the pro Sinn Fein media not taken up his case? Why is Adams not on his case? Is this even being reported in the Irish News?
Physical force republicanism has been sidelined by Sinn Feins acceptance of British rule in the north. I think they will wash their hands or Liam Hannaway as it reminds them of where they came from. Whatever happened to "Greater love have no man for his friends than to lay down his life for them."

Wise up do you really think Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein want this man to die. Sinn fein are working on it and if you read my post earlier you will see that they have already visited him.Who are the pro Sinn Fein media you are talking about?

Ulick

Quote from: funtime frankie on May 25, 2010, 12:37:49 PM
Ulick, why is he disliked?

If he is disliked then why does he want to be on the same wing?

Not sure. Apparently he's not an easy character to get along with. He was a bit of a late-comer to militant republicanism, got involved with RSF/CIRA and then left to form his own group - a reincarnation Saor Uladh.

The republican 'wing' of Maghaberry houses prisoners from all groups (IRA, RIRA and CIRA). Presumably he wants the political recognition and free association, though I heard in an interview the other night he would even be happy with a move to general population - anything other than isolation. 

Down South

Is all the media in the north not pro Sinn Fein now that they have turned their backs on heir past? I am looking at this from Southern prospective, this mans hunger strike, which must now be nearing a critical stage, is getting no coverage down here, or none that I have seen/heard. I will be up north this afternoon and will listen to the BBC Ulster news to see if it gets a mention. If Sinn Fein are working on it as you say, then surely this would be a national or even international story.

Ulick

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 01:13:07 PM
The above is absolute nonsense. Prisoners are fed 3 times a say and get a snack for supper every evening. Even the man who is on hunger strike will be offered food, probably better food than the others. Prisoners also have a toilet and sink in their cells, while a sink is not perfect for washing, it will do until they get access to a shower.
I think everyone of us need to ask why this isn't headline news. Gerry Adams brother was headline news for weeks/months over child abuse allegations, that are as yet unproven. His cousin has been on hunger strike and the first I heard of it was on a poster on a telegraph pole, I then read it here and only realised who it was. Why is this man being ignored? Why haven't the pro Sinn Fein media not taken up his case? Why is Adams not on his case? Is this even being reported in the Irish News?
Physical force republicanism has been sidelined by Sinn Feins acceptance of British rule in the north. I think they will wash their hands or Liam Hannaway as it reminds them of where they came from. Whatever happened to "Greater love have no man for his friends than to lay down his life for them."

Not totally true. Since the protest at Easter, they are given an hour to wash, eat and exercise in the mornings. As they refuse to eat in their cells and only 1 person is allowed into the canteen at a time, they have to eat their meals in 15 minute intervals standing-up. This doesn't allow them all time to get fed so they have to take it in turns to skip meals and washes. Again since Easter, there are no toilets or sinks in the cells, so they are emptying piss pots under the door and faeces in plastic bags. 

Ulick

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 01:40:22 PM
Is all the media in the north not pro Sinn Fein now that they have turned their backs on heir past? I am looking at this from Southern prospective, this mans hunger strike, which must now be nearing a critical stage, is getting no coverage down here, or none that I have seen/heard. I will be up north this afternoon and will listen to the BBC Ulster news to see if it gets a mention. If Sinn Fein are working on it as you say, then surely this would be a national or even international story.

Name me one media outlet in Ireland that is "pro Sinn Fein".

pebble-dasher

The prisoners are getting beatings.  Did turlouch mc allister from cross brake his own arm! 
The conditions the pows are subject to are geting as bad as the blanket no wash protest. 

It doesnt suit sf to take up the case of the pows.  Yes they sent in a team to meet with the prisoners but they were denied access to hannaway. 

glens abu

Why because Sinn Fein have been to the goal and met the justice minister over it do you think the press were you live give a fiddlers,please tell me which paper you read and I will tell you how much they are pro Sinn Fein.Its been in the Irish news, on BBC,ITV and the local papers Andytown News and others have been covering it for weeks.Think you will get more information  from those telegraph polls you are climbing than you will from the media in the South

Ulick

Quote from: pebble-dasher on May 25, 2010, 01:48:27 PM
It doesnt suit sf to take up the case of the pows.  Yes they sent in a team to meet with the prisoners but they were denied access to hannaway.

Not so, they met with Hannaway.

glens abu

Quote from: pebble-dasher on May 25, 2010, 01:48:27 PM
The prisoners are getting beatings.  Did turlouch mc allister from cross brake his own arm! 
The conditions the pows are subject to are geting as bad as the blanket no wash protest. 

you obviously are not very well informed as they did meet Liam Hannaway so get your facts right before coming on here and talking nonsense

Down South

Yet again why are we only hearing about this on an GAA discussion board? This are appalling conditions for anyone to be kept in and while the prison authorities will argue that they are of the prisioners own making, something has to be done on both sides.
Regarding eating in the cells, is it the norm throughout the jail or are republicans being forced to do it as a punishment?

Down South

Quote from: Ulick on May 25, 2010, 01:46:15 PM

Name me one media outlet in Ireland that is "pro Sinn Fein".

Surely the pro British media in the north are sympathetic to the pro British parties? Is that not logical?

glens abu

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
Yet again why are we only hearing about this on an GAA discussion board? This are appalling conditions for anyone to be kept in and while the prison authorities will argue that they are of the prisioners own making, something has to be done on both sides.
Regarding eating in the cells, is it the norm throughout the jail or are republicans being forced to do it as a punishment?

Wrong again,you are only hearing about it on the GAA board others who have an interest in such matters have known about it for a long time.You should right a letter to which ever paper you read and complain .

Down South

Quote from: glens abu on May 25, 2010, 02:07:23 PM

Wrong again,you are only hearing about it on the GAA board others who have an interest in such matters have known about it for a long time.You should right a letter to which ever paper you read and complain .

Is it not the medias job to inform Joe Public about this mans case? Surely there has to be some sort of campaign being run by one or other of the republican grpups in the north to highlight this hunger strike and if not why not?
I`ll leave the letter "righting" to you.

glens abu

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 02:11:36 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 25, 2010, 02:07:23 PM

Is it not the medias job to inform Joe Public about this mans case? Surely there has to be some sort of campaign being run by one or other of the republican grpups in the north to highlight this hunger strike and if not why not?
I`ll leave the letter "righting" to you.

you are probably right to do that as I will be more informed

Down South

You seem very well informed indeed. Is it any wonder that this man is likely to die, in vain, with people like you on the case.
Jesus feckin wept.