LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
Yet again why are we only hearing about this on an GAA discussion board? This are appalling conditions for anyone to be kept in and while the prison authorities will argue that they are of the prisioners own making, something has to be done on both sides.Regarding eating in the cells, is it the norm throughout the jail or are republicans being forced to do it as a punishment?

The problem is that the vast majoity of the established politicians and media both north and south are anti-republican.

Down South

Quote from: Zapatista on May 25, 2010, 02:29:48 PM
Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 02:00:03 PM
Yet again why are we only hearing about this on an GAA discussion board? This are appalling conditions for anyone to be kept in and while the prison authorities will argue that they are of the prisioners own making, something has to be done on both sides.Regarding eating in the cells, is it the norm throughout the jail or are republicans being forced to do it as a punishment?

The problem is that the vast majoity of the established politicians and media both north and south are anti-republican.

Including Sinn Fein it seems.
This situation could be fixed very easily, without the need for political intervention. This young mans legal representatives should be able to take a case (judicial review) to force the prison governor to move him to a wing were he would be more suited. If the republicans in the jail are willing to accept him then that should be the end of the matter. It is then simply a matter of moving him to a hospital until he is fit enough to fend for himself again, I am assuming that after 40 odd days on hunger strike that he will be in poor physical shape.  When he is fit and well again allow him onto the wing and end of problem.

Zapatista

Quote from: Down South on May 25, 2010, 02:37:05 PM
Including Sinn Fein it seems.
This situation could be fixed very easily, without the need for political intervention. This young mans legal representatives should be able to take a case (judicial review) to force the prison governor to move him to a wing were he would be more suited. If the republicans in the jail are willing to accept him then that should be the end of the matter. It is then simply a matter of moving him to a hospital until he is fit enough to fend for himself again, I am assuming that after 40 odd days on hunger strike that he will be in poor physical shape.  When he is fit and well again allow him onto the wing and end of problem.

I wasn't including SF in that.

He will be dead before any legal action can have any effect. He will also have to deal with a legal system stacked against republicans.

Down South

An emergency application can be made to the courts at any time. It seems that Liam Hannaway, like Bobby Sands, will be allowed to die to further someone elses ideals. A sad waste of life.

Ulick

Die for someone else's ideals - would you care to explain?

Down South

Quote from: Ulick on May 25, 2010, 02:59:26 PM
Die for someone else's ideals - would you care to explain?

The ten men who died on the 1981 hunger strike, were allowed to die by the republican leadership, to further a political objective. They did not die as they believed, in search of political status or for their demands. Towards the end of the strike, the families, those closest to the men who were dying began to see through everything and pulled them off the strike one by one and a deal was reached. I believe a deal could have been reached much sooner, but that did not suit certain people.
I have the up most respect for each of the men who died, not just as republicans but as human beings. They had nothing else to give, so they gave their lives for something they believed in.
I do not know a lot about Liam Hannaway. I assume he is a cousin on Gerry's mothers side of the family, I think she was a Hannaway. His death will be used to further someone else's cause, however misguided or ill informed. If anyone was interested in Liam Hannaways well being, this matter which is really quite trivial, could be sorted out before lock up is called this evening.
Gerry Adams is one of the most powerful men in the north. Are you seriously trying to tell me that he could not exert some influence, be that through political means within the NIO or through his republican family connections to try to broker a deal. This is his own family we are talking about. Never mind calling a decent solicitor and getting the matter before the courts.
Bobby Sands famously said something along the lines of "everyone, republican or otherwise has his/her own part to play" Have republicans in the north forgot those words? Can no one play their part and save this mans life? Are we really going to allow a man to die simply because he is in the wrong cell?

Ulick

I'm still not sure of the point you are trying to make about dying for someone else's beliefs. No matter, regarding Adams, if you Google Hannaway you'll find that there is no love lost between the two and Hannaway has publically heckled Adams on a number of occasions. It's credit to Adams that he hasn't held this against him and is publically supporting his protest.

Zapatista

This board is getting rediculous beyond belief. First people were trying to blame the IRA for a vicious murder in NY and now Adams is to blame for a Republican who might die on Hungerstrike. It's beyond belief.

Down South, did you look at those at the other end of the protest? They are claiming his life would be in danger if they moved him. Unless you can prove that he is safe every court and judge will side with those claims. Perhaps you should direct your anger at those keeping him in isolation as opposed to those who are trying to help him move to the republican wing.

Club Rossa

Down South,it's a shame you dismissed my post as absolute nonsense.There's a fella from my part of the country in Maghaberry at the minute,i have been to see him on numerous occasions and i can assure you that he doesn't get fed 3 times a day.He has been made to miss meals,has been continiously strip searched and has a sink to wash himself in,hardly ideal.He has also been told that his beating is coming very soon.I don't know who informed you about getting fed 3 times a day and with snacks,but that is complete bullshit.

pebble-dasher

I was told sf didnt get to meet hannaway, but you could be right ulick,

ZAP
The republican prisoners did release a statement saying that there was no threat against liam hannaway and that he would be welcomed on the wing.

orangeman

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this particular type of republican, this man should not be allowed to die. I don't see why the entire focus should be on SF in order to highlight the case. The SDLP could do it - Fianna Fail could do it -

Where is the Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission ?.

Where is his solicitor / barrister ?

Where is the prison chaplain ?

Common sense should prevail. The hunger strikes and the deaths of 10 men in 1981 was the biggest recruiting sargent for the IRA. That hunger strike provoked one the biggest reactions in N.Ireland in the history of the state.

Now 30 years later, another Irish republican is ready to die and some people on here at least are saying, to hell with him, let him die.

Words fail me.

Club Rossa

orangeman

Thankfully SF are again taking up the case.

Hunger striker Liam Hannaway on prison health watch

Page last updated at 13:01 GMT, Tuesday, 25 May 2010 14:01 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version A dissident republican on hunger strike for 42 days has been moved to the health care unit at Maghaberry prison.

Liam Hannaway has served almost two and a half years of a 10-year sentence for possessing explosives and ammunition.

His family say he is refusing food in protest at being held in a vulnerable prisoners unit rather than on a wing with other dissidents.

They reject prison authorities' claims his life would be in danger if he was moved to the republican wing.

Hannaway is from a well-known west Belfast republican family and is a relative of Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams.

It is understood the 40-year-old was moved to the health care unit at Maghaberry on Monday night.

Prison sources say there are no immediate concerns for his health and the move is to enable medical staff to monitor his condition more closely.

A Sinn Fein delegation led by Martin McGuinness and Raymond McCartney is to discuss the situation at Maghaberry with Justice Minister David Ford later on Tuesday.

funtime frankie

Please God this situation will get sorted and the Republican leadership will lead. I just can't get my head around why the prison authorities will not let Hannaway on to the Republican Wing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hannaway's protest is not about the degradation being suffered by the prisoners but because of his isolation?

The undignified treatment of the prisoners is a different issue?

I am shocked, saddened and ashamed to see those people come on o this sight and adopt the attitude of, "F**k him, let him die." Much the same as attitude Thatcher which really says it all.

I don't agree with those who maintain that armed struggle is still necessary. To me, armed struggle is a tactic and should only be used when there is no viable alternative. The current political process offers that alternative.

Having said that, it is wrong to become a spectator and stand by and watch a fellow Irishman die in a prison cell without doing anything to help save him and to stop us from making the mistakes of the past. But in supporting the prisoners' calls from more humane treatment and Hannway's call to be housed with other republican prisoners doesn't mean that I agree with their political analysis

stew

Quote from: funtime frankie on May 25, 2010, 05:09:13 PM
Please God this situation will get sorted and the Republican leadership will lead. I just can't get my head around why the prison authorities will not let Hannaway on to the Republican Wing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hannaway's protest is not about the degradation being suffered by the prisoners but because of his isolation?

The undignified treatment of the prisoners is a different issue?

I am shocked, saddened and ashamed to see those people come on o this sight and adopt the attitude of, "F**k him, let him die." Much the same as attitude Thatcher which really says it all.

I don't agree with those who maintain that armed struggle is still necessary. To me, armed struggle is a tactic and should only be used when there is no viable alternative. The current political process offers that alternative.

Having said that, it is wrong to become a spectator and stand by and watch a fellow Irishman die in a prison cell without doing anything to help save him and to stop us from making the mistakes of the past. But in supporting the prisoners' calls from more humane treatment and Hannway's call to be housed with other republican prisoners doesn't mean that I agree with their political analysis

I would be one who has absolutely no time for these dissidents, I think they are a bunch of cnuts. I also think that this man is being unfairly treated but for fecks sake going on hunger strike and killing yourself is no way to get what you want, all he is doing is what the brits want him to do, to die and they show paddy the stiff upper lip, that they wont be broken.

The media coverage or lack therof is shocking and I hope he lives however just like the times when the loyalist fueds were going on, if a bunch of dissident republicians started bunmping each other off I would be ok with that, to me they are scumbags to a man.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.